Twitter: Cowboys closing on deal to keep Will McClay

Motorola

Reaction score

Will McClay:
(1) has put together a scouting group that does a credible job viewing and evaluating college prospects.
(2) been collaborative with the coaching staff (primarily the OC & DC) in acquiring the free agents they want (for better or worse...depending on the coordinators).
(3) started in- then ascended to crucial roles that built /maintained a quality team roster spanning 13 years and 3 head coaches.
In summary- McClay is the right individual in place for the Cowboys to continue moving forward and upward to soon winning the NFL Championship.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
FJADlUjXIAc-BEJ

Ring Leader

Reaction score
McClay has previously stated he wants to stay in Dallas. Doesn’t want to upset the family dynamic by pulling kids out of school and moving.

Thank God. Losing McClay would possibly be the dumbest thing we could do as an organization.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's amazing how people still want to run with this narrative that Jerry doesn't really GM the team. There was a video just a couple of years ago of the war room where Garrett and Stephen were interested in a trade offer and as soon as Jerry found out about it he squashed it. They all fell in line with his decision.

People see that and yet still pretend he's just a figurehead.

I agree, I do think Jerry will listen and can be presuaded if you have a legit reason. I get that from an interview I saw with Parcells, where he states that Jerry listens to other people more than many think. At the end of the day it is Jerry who takes the heat for failures and that is just in my view, by the same token I have never had an issue of giving him credit when I feel he was right. None of this however is done by 1 man, it really is a group effort within the organization but Jerry as GM is on the hook good or bad

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Jerry loves McClay, Will loves the Jones and loves Dallas, they have a great working relationship...Never for a minute thought he would leave to be a General Manager somewhere else

fivetwos

Reaction score
Label it however you like as far as who makes the final decisions.....

All I know things are WAY better now than they were when Jerry was trying to do it all under the advice of his drinking buddies.

I'm very happy that McClay will remain. We are lucky to have him considering the circumstances.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I don't live in that fantasy land.

You're not a GM unless you are the final decision maker in personnel. Will McClay isn't even 2nd on that list. He's merely the top advisor to the real decision maker and his son.

“I am the final decision maker for the Dallas Cowboys.” - Jerry (at least 20,000 times since 3/31/1994)

bewp7

Reaction score
good

glad he like it with cowboys and glad jerry really respect him and listen to him it is a good balance or as good as it can be with jerry

if mcclay want a gm job he can get one when ever he feel like it in the future

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Label it however you like as far as who makes the final decisions.....

All I know things are WAY better now than they were when Jerry was trying to do it all under the advice of his drinking buddies.

I'm very happy that McClay will remain. We are lucky to have him considering the circumstances.

Ireland was not horrible and it was actually Jimmy Johnson drinking buddy and best man at his wedding and the one who brought in Larry Lacewell, that did not get the job done. I will say it was fully on Jerry for staying with Lacewell

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Why not just give him the title of GM Jerry… Clearly you just writing checks at this point

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They just announced on Hangin' with the Boys that the deal is done. McClay is getting paid big time!

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
He'd be stupid not to. I'd take it. It's a promotion.
How can you say he would be stupid if he turned down a GM position without knowing all the facts. If the job environment, support system and structure isn’t favorable to his success, then how is he stupid for not taken it.

There are a few reasons people wouldn’t take a new job with a higher position and higher pay. One is their family, I would never uproot mine if they didn’t feel comfortable, you can’t pay me enough to do that. Another of the reasons is that they are very happy at their current success. Some people don’t feel the need to make a higher mark in their profession as they are already extremely successful at what their doing.

Will McCray has turned down opportunities to become a GM several times already as he has stated he loves what he is currently doing, loves his current employer and his family loves the area. To call him stupid is just being stupid yourself!

https://insidethestar.com/how-long-will-cowboys-exec-will-mcclay-continue-to-turn-down-gm-jobs/amp/

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClay is basically the GM. Jerry is only an honorary GM.

Do we know salary numbers for staff? I’m curious to know how much he’s getting.
:muttley: Sure and pigs can fly.......Jerry Jones....The buck STOPS here!!!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't live in that fantasy land.

You're not a GM unless you are the final decision maker in personnel. Will McClay isn't even 2nd on that list. He's merely the top advisor to the real decision maker and his son.
Three years ago, I may have agreed with you. But recently, the draft and FA have gone pretty well. It's hard to complain with the team's success.