Cowboys contingent perked up when Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati took the stage

Eskimo

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3255056 said:
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 330 | 40-Time: 5.20

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent height and bulk --- Huge frame with long arms --- Outstanding strength --- Physical and aggressive --- Superb athlete with good quickness and agility --- Mobile with great range --- Dominant once locked on --- Uses his hands well --- Explosive with a violent initial punch --- Stout at the point of attack --- Gets a terrific push in the run game --- Appears to be a natural knee bender --- Wide base and nice balance --- Has a mean streak and finishes his blocks --- Solid instincts and awareness --- Intense and Competitive --- Hard Worker --- Team Leader --- Offers positional versatility --- Still has considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Is still raw and learning the game --- Footwork and technique will need refinement --- Feet aren't overly nimble --- Concentration will lapse at times --- Has some trouble in space --- Gets caught reaching --- Minor communication issues --- Did not always play against elite competition.

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "EYE-u-pah-tee" --- Was a three-year starter and a team captain for the Vandals --- A consensus 1st Team All-American in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-WAC in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Played both guard and tackle in college and could project to either position at the next level --- Younger brother, Andrew, plays defensive tackle for the Oregon Ducks --- Didn't begin playing football until he moved to California from American Samoa when he was 14-years-old --- English is his second language, which led to some academic problems and him being lightly recruited by major programs out of high school --- Sat out the 2005 season while getting his grades in order --- Missed some time with a shoulder injury in 2008, which eventually required off-season surgery --- Didn't allow a single sack as a senior --- Fantastic blocker with a rare blend of size and athleticism who hasn't yet reached his full potential --- Legitimate 1st Round talent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFMZROcNZ8

I highlighted the two things I really didn't like. One was the grades thing as usually good OL are bright - would have to look into what happened there. The second thing is the shoulder injury requiring surgery - does anybody know what it was?

That's really one joint that I don't really like to hear about requiring surgery is the shoulder. Does anyone know anything about his shoulder surgery?

Eskimo

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3255339 said:
Mike Iupati-G- Player Jan. 25 - 3:24 pm et

Idaho OG Mike Iupati's 35-inch arms measured the longest at the Senior Bowl during Monday's weigh-in. He also has 10 3/8-inch hands.

Iupati, who finally gets to face NFL-caliber competition this week after mauling through defensive linemen in the WAC, also weighed in at a solid 6'5/325. With a big week, Iupati could sneak into the back end of the first round.
Source: National Football Post

Sounds like based on level of competition that he is someone who would need a year of grooming to the pro game at the very least.

He also sounds like the sort of physical specimen some team falls in love with and drafts him in the top-15.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Iupati should be on our radar. There is a good shot that he will be available at our pick.

tko112204

Reaction score
Eskimo;3255650 said:
I highlighted the two things I really didn't like. One was the grades thing as usually good OL are bright - would have to look into what happened there. The second thing is the shoulder injury requiring surgery - does anybody know what it was?

That's really one joint that I don't really like to hear about requiring surgery is the shoulder. Does anyone know anything about his shoulder surgery?

Its says right there that English was his second language, which led to academic problems and part of the reason he didn't get recruited to BCS level schools. What else would you look into?

The Realist

Reaction score
Does any thought ever go into it before people starting spouting level of competition comments?

Eskimo

Reaction score
tko112204;3255666 said:
Its says right there that English was his second language, which led to academic problems and part of the reason he didn't get recruited to BCS level schools. What else would you look into?

The shoulder surgery - kind of an ominous surgery for a guy who will repeatedly be trying to push on 300 pound guys charging straight at him. This is a joint that takes to rehab real well for most things and doesn't take to surgery too well for most things. I am really curious about what he had done - anyone know?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3255315 said:
sorry put the wrong one, i was visiting like 27 cowboys sites, for cowboys info today along with the draft upcoming stuff;
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2010/01/from-the-senior-bowl.html

From the Senior Bowl
12:26 PM Mon, Jan 25, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Gerry Fraley/Reporter E-mail | News tips

Dallas Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones and the scouting staff are in Mobile, Ala., today for the start of Senior Bowl workouts.

They attended the morning weigh-in session, which took meat market to a whole new level. The highlights:

+ Alabama defensive tackle Terrence Cody weighed in at 370 pounds. He also had the biggest hands at 11 1/4 inches.

+ Florida quarterback Tim Tebow is a lefthander, but his right arm is longer: by 1/4 of an inch.

+ It may have been only a coincidence, but the Cowboys contingent perked up when Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati took the stage. Iupati was measured at 6 feet 5 and 325 pounds. Iupati was a finalist for the Outland Trophy, given to the nation's top lineman.
+ TCU defensive lineman Jerry Hughes pulled out of the game, but Frogs linebacker Daryl Washington will participate. Texas linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy and defensive lineman Lamarr Houston were late additions to the roster.

I like Washington. Should make a good Mo.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
i would be so happy if we landed him

i see him moving up in the draft, hopefully not for our sake. i hope some teams sleep on him

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I am in favor of drafting anybody that can play on the o-line in the first round this year, Minny exposed our weakness.