Cowboys could be hosting NFC Championship had they not lost to Jaguars and Commanders

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
That is what I have been saying about Kellen.

He may be a great playcaller but his situational awareness is horrific and his offenses attention to detail is near bottom of the league.

I believe those are things that come when you are more experienced and learn from actual good mentors.
that mentor could/should be McCarthy...but I believe Jerry neutered him from the outset

Jerry was/is grooming Kellen Moore to be his next Garett....why I don't know...but I guess Jerry think he knows what he is doing because his franchise is worth more than anyone else's

Has Jerry taken notice that Garrett is out the league? Can anyone tell me where all the coaches from Garrett's coaching tree are right now?

Last edited:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Unfortunately Dallas was the #1 seed twice this century and we still loss the first game.
That's true but that's just because Dallas screwed up, not because the #1 seed is meaningless. If you look historically, the 1 seed has the best chance of any of making the super bowl and the difference between it and the 5 to 8 seeds is massive.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Had we not blown the end of that Jaguars game and actually showed up in week 18 against the Commanders, we are hosting the NFC Championship game this afternoon
Neither of those does anything to help the Dak choke job and loss to San Fran last week.

Zordon

Reaction score
Had we not blown the end of that Jaguars game and actually showed up in week 18 against the Commanders, we are hosting the NFC Championship game this afternoon

svxrPtN.gif
We could have all our legends on the sideline like the '95 NFC championship game.
FQT9.gif

ratio3x2_1800.jpg

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Does it matter if you lose in the wildcard game vs the championship game?
Is this a serious question?

I think that is the major problem with this entire organization and culture. Super Bowl or bust!

That wreaks of arrogance. The 90s are OVER.

Of course the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl...but you have to put in the work to get there. You can't teleport to the Super Bowl just because you won 13 games....or you have 13 Pro Bowlers. The playoffs represent the best teams, coaches and game plans. Having a coaching staff and building a team capable of winning 3 to 4 postseason games is hard.

There is a reason why beating Tom Brady was huge for us. There is a reason why winning our first road playoff game since 1992 was big for us. And getting past the divisional round would have marked a major step forward for this organization.

We have to come to grips with who we are and where we are. We are still 1 of 3 teams in the NFC over the last 25+ years...that have not played in a conference title game. So in addition to being a franchise worth 8+ billion...our dubious streak puts is in the same conversation with the Detroit Lions and Washington Commanders.

Ken

Reaction score
that mentor could/should be McCarthy...but I believe Jerry neutered him from the outset

Jerry was/is grooming Kellen Moore to be his next Garett....why I don't know...but I guess Jerry think he knows what he is doing because his franchise is worth more than anyone else's

Has Jerry taken notice that Garrett is out the league? Can anyone tell me where all the coaches from Garrett's coaching tree are right now?
Agreed.

McCarthy, i think, gave him more help this year. I know earlier in the season he had to step in from being too pass happy. I noticed he had a play sheet at some point in the season.

I just don't know what that relationship is like and how much McCarthy helped him because it is not his pick.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Agreed.

McCarthy, i think, gave him more help this year. I know earlier in the season he had to step in from being too pass happy. I noticed he had a play sheet at some point in the season.

I just don't know what that relationship is like and how much McCarthy helped him because it is not his pick.
I have wondered out loud if McCarthy was on board with that pass on 2nd and 2 with about a minute and a half left in the 1st half against the 49ers. You can argue Dak should not have thrown a pick. But that should have never been a pass. Never. That was not a moment for Moore to be showing off for future employers...that moment was not a moment for Dak to EARN his salary. The simple, smart football play was to RUN THE BALL!!

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I have wondered out loud if McCarthy was on board with that pass on 2nd and 2 with about a minute and a half left in the 1st half against the 49ers. You can argue Dak should not have thrown a pick. But that should have never been a pass. Never. That was not a moment for Moore to be showing off for future employers...that moment was not a moment for Dak to EARN his salary. The simple, smart football play was to RUN THE BALL!!
I always got the impression that Moore was coaching to maximize points and not to win the game. While the two things are related, they aren't exactly the same thing. On the occasions when being more conservative was the better play, he didn't go that direction. Yeah, its almost like he was calling plays to pad his resume.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

svxrPtN.gif
Yeah, but if we're "what-iff'ing" two games for the Cowboys, don't Eagles, 49ers, Vikings, etc all get to also "add two wins against teams they should have beaten"?

If the Eagles had just "taken care of business", they'd be 17-0 right now, so we STILL wouldn't be hosting the NFC Champ game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Probably the only way we can get into a SB at this point is to grab a one seed and hope they can manage to show up for two home games in a row.

There’s no way this QB is winning three difficult road games in a row.

I’m not trying to start trouble lol, but let’s just all be real at this point.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I always got the impression that Moore was coaching to maximize points and not to win the game. While the two things are related, they aren't exactly the same thing. On the occasions when being more conservative was the better play, he didn't go that direction. Yeah, its almost like he was calling plays to pad his resume.
As a young OC...Kyle Shanahann did the same thing in that Super Bowl against the Pats. Dan Quinn, as the HEAD COACH...should have stepped in. He did not. We know how that turned out. Today...as the HEAD COACH....Kyle Shanahann seems to have learned a lot since those days.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Good thread. It just reinforces how damn slim the margins are in the NFL. They say it’s a game of inches. That is true on the field, on the record sheet and in the off-season/draft.

JBS

Reaction score
Cowboys would have a lost a home playoff game instead of a road playoff game. What’s the difference ? They wouldn’t be playing today no matter what

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Yeah, but if we're "what-iff'ing" two games for the Cowboys, don't Eagles, 49ers, Vikings, etc all get to also "add two wins against teams they should have beaten"?

If the Eagles had just "taken care of business", they'd be 17-0 right now, so we STILL wouldn't be hosting the NFC Champ game.
Yea but difference is there is no reason we should have lost ours (Jags and Packers)

We had those games. The Cowboys were 194-0 in their history w a 14 point 4q lead (Packers game)

The Jags game, if we run on those 3 downs instead of throwing incomplete, we win that one too.

Hell we win if Kearse doesnt let Engram ragdoll him to the sideline SMH

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

svxrPtN.gif
A lot of things could have been.........But please don't hold responsible the clowns who make the most $ from owners to players.
There all such nice guys jeez.....

Alweezy

Reaction score
Is this a serious question?

I think that is the major problem with this entire organization and culture. Super Bowl or bust!

That wreaks of arrogance. The 90s are OVER.

Of course the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl...but you have to put in the work to get there. You can't teleport to the Super Bowl just because you won 13 games....or you have 13 Pro Bowlers. The playoffs represent the best teams, coaches and game plans. Having a coaching staff and building a team capable of winning 3 to 4 postseason games is hard.

There is a reason why beating Tom Brady was huge for us. There is a reason why winning our first road playoff game since 1992 was big for us. And getting past the divisional round would have marked a major step forward for this organization.

We have to come to grips with who we are and where we are. We are still 1 of 3 teams in the NFC over the last 25+ years...that have not played in a conference title game. So in addition to being a franchise worth 8+ billion...our dubious streak puts is in the same conversation with the Detroit Lions and Washington Commanders.
We say this.. but if we're going to have a process, then we have to actually do things to complete the process. We spend years building a core and then don't do anything at the end and have to start over.

We don't have time to do this anymore in the modern day NFL. This is not a championship strategy. You have a team like Cincinnati who was in and out of the AFC playoffs every year with an average QB and a bum HC doing it the old way, and wouldn't have ever got elite until they blew it up and went and got their QB.

They went from literally the worst team inthe league to an elite perennial champion. 2 seasons. That's it. Now you can't keep them out of the SB conversation. Wasn't no process, wasn't no.. chipping away at it year by year. Just went and got the right tools, and the problem is fixed.

We the ones trying to slow cook something that the league has shown us doesn't require this level of planning any more. We're left behind because we won't adjust.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
We say this.. but if we're going to have a process, then we have to actually do things to complete the process. We spend years building a core and then don't do anything at the end and have to start over.

We don't have time to do this anymore in the modern day NFL. This is not a championship strategy. You have a team like Cincinnati who was in and out of the AFC playoffs every year with an average QB and a bum HC doing it the old way, and wouldn't have ever got elite until they blew it up and went and got their QB.

They went from literally the worst team inthe league to an elite perennial champion. 2 seasons. That's it. Now you can't keep them out of the SB conversation. Wasn't no process, wasn't no.. chipping away at it year by year. Just went and got the right tools, and the problem is fixed.

We the ones trying to slow cook something that the league has shown us doesn't require this level of planning any more. We're left behind because we won't adjust.
Truth