Cowboys could give up 3rd and 4th round picks to move up for Patrick Peterson

johnnyd

Reaction score
TheCount;3870407 said:
I'm starting to believe we are better off staying put, there could be some good players available in the 3rd.

i agree but who do you take at 9? no one on this board wants to actually use the no 9 pick to take a player, They all want to trade down because they think that every single player in this draft is a reach at 9 . :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
johnnyd;3870675 said:
i agree but who do you take at 9? no one on this board wants to actually use the no 9 pick to take a player, They all want to trade down because they think that every single player in this draft is a reach at 9 . :D

If Dallas stays at 9 then the chances are it will be a DL, if that is the case then I would figure they will look OL in the 2nd

cnhnyy

Reaction score
Everybody loves packers secondary and three of their top four corners were undrafted. We already have two No.1 picks (Newman, Jenkins), one 3rd rounder (Sandrick) and one fourth rounder (AOA). How many more picks do we have to spend on secondary? a No.1, A no.3 and a No.4 again?

Absolutely not! There is no guarantee in NFL draft, just ask Reggie Bush and Ricky Williams.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cnhnyy;3870687 said:
Everybody loves packers secondary and three of their top four corners were undrafted. We already have two No.1 picks (Newman, Jenkins), one 3rd rounder (Sandrick) and one fourth rounder (AOA). How many more picks do we have to spend on secondary? a No.1, A no.3 and a No.4 again?

Absolutely not! There is no guarantee in NFL draft, just ask Reggie Bush and Ricky Williams.

They like the Pack secondary because they produced it has nothing to do with their draft status

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870691 said:
They like the Pack secondary because they produced it has nothing to do with their draft status

I think that's his point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;3870741 said:
I think that's his point.

Seems to me he is saying we already spent draft choices on CB why go after Peterson

"How many more picks do we have to spend on secondary?"

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870755 said:
Seems to me he is saying we already spent draft choices on CB why go after Peterson

"How many more picks do we have to spend on secondary?"

I took it as him saying it's not how high they are drafted, it's about production. So Peterson isn't a "Must Have". I agree, he's not worth spending 3 picks on, especially not picks that are so high.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;3870757 said:
I took it as him saying it's not how high they are drafted, it's about production. So Peterson isn't a "Must Have". I agree, he's not worth spending 3 picks on, especially not picks that are so high.

I think he is the most talented player in the draft and if swapping 1st rd picks and throwing in a 3rd would make it happen I would be all over it. I guess it really depends on how you see a player. As I mention before when Dallas traded 4 picks to move up to 2 overall to get Dorsett I about jumped out of my skin because I felt certain about how good he would be.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870773 said:
I think he is the most talented player in the draft and if swapping 1st rd picks and throwing in a 3rd would make it happen I would be all over it. I guess it really depends on how you see a player. As I mention before when Dallas traded 4 picks to move up to 2 overall to get Dorsett I about jumped out of my skin because I felt certain about how good he would be.

I think Peterson is going to be exceptional too. I think he will be a good CB, but I think he will be an exceptional safety. Especially with 2-3 years under his belt.

Will he be Ed Reed? Maybe not, but I think he will be a pro bowler. Something we haven't seen the likes of in a very long time. Still not sure I sell off a 3rd round pick for him considering our needs and who I think will still be around in the 3rd round combined with the value we can already get in the first round. (Tyron Smith, or trading back with say NE)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;3870779 said:
I think Peterson is going to be exceptional too. I think he will be a good CB, but I think he will be an exceptional safety. Especially with 2-3 years under his belt.

Will he be Ed Reed? Maybe not, but I think he will be a pro bowler. Something we haven't seen the likes of in a very long time. Still not sure I sell off a 3rd round pick for him considering our needs and who I think will still be around in the 3rd round combined with the value we can already get in the first round. (Tyron Smith, or trading back with say NE)

You mentioned it before but I'll take a shut down CB with his speed any day over a safety. Again it is how we view players I see Peterson as an elite CB and I have seen nothing in his play at CB to make me think he will not be outstanding.

As for Safety I would just as soon use FA and get Huff who is a true safety

johnnyd

Reaction score
nyc;3870779 said:

i would be all over T. Smith at 9 or even one of the top d-lineman. I just dont want to pick Prince at 9. Like most people sure i wouldnt mind trading down but it's easier said than done we all know that. Smith , jordan , watt or quinn are not reaches at 9 they are projected to go within the next 5-7 picks right after us why get cute then ya know?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3870790 said:
don't want to use any of our draft picks to move up

we got to many needs

Yes we do but the draft is not just for next season. Swapping 1's and trading a 3rd to move up 3 spots I is not undoable nor would it stop us in the other rds including the 2nd and FA

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870796 said:
Yes we do but the draft is not just for next season. Swapping 1's and trading a 3rd to move up 3 spots I is not undoable nor would it stop us in the other rds including the 2nd and FA

There is talent to be had in both the second and third round. Considering you can get Tyron Smith in the first and still get a second and third round guys, I see the point in forcing the issue for Peterson.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;3870804 said:
There is talent to be had in both the second and third round. Considering you can get Tyron Smith in the first and still get a second and third round guys, I see the point in forcing the issue for Peterson.

and I'm not opposed to that. I think with the 9th overall pick we have option and I would look to explore those options. I have said many time I would not be opposed to trading back in the draft either but since this thread is dealing with Patrick Peterson I'll say right now I would not have a problem if Dallas traded up to get him. I'm sure some will have a problem with that but many of the people here will have a problem with the selection if it is not their 1 guy.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870796 said:

sorry I don't due for anyone but Dareous

to many good CB's out there this year

and B Harris has moved to the 2 rr - I even pass on Prince

Aaron Williams, CB/FS, Texas
Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Davon House, CB, New Mexico State

I really don't want to reach for a CB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_CB

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Cowboys have too many holes to give up 3rd round and 4th round picks to move up to get anyone. We currently only have 1 DE on contract who's even proven he's NFL rotation worthy (and he's certainly nothing to write home about). We're likely going to have to replace our entire interior OL in the next 12 months. We're going to need to find a 3rd WR when Roy is cut either this offseason or next. We currently don't have a starting caliber NFL safety on the entire roster. Both of the starting ILBs are old and will probably need to be replaced in the next couple of offseasons. Spencer is in his final year pf his contract and hasn't proven he's worthy of breaking the bank to retain.

In the next 12-24 months, the Cowboys will be lucky if they can break even just plugging up the leaks with the draft picks they have, much less giving them away.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3870815 said:
sorry I don't due for anyone but Dareous

to many good CB's out there this year

and B Harris has moved to the 2 rr - I even pass on Prince

Aaron Williams, CB/FS, Texas
Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Davon House, CB, New Mexico State

I really don't want to reach for a CB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_CB

Again it goes back to how you view them. I see Peterson as a much better prospect than the other CB. I keep saying it I'm open to many different option from moving up to trading back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3870824 said:
Cowboys have too many holes to give up 3rd round picks to move up to get anyone. We currently only have 1 DE on contract who's even proven he's NFL rotation worthy (and he's certainly nothing to write home about). We're likely going to have to replace our entire interior OL in the next 12 months. We're going to need to find a 3rd WR when Roy is cut either this offseason or next. Both of the starting ILBs are old and will probably need to be replaced in the next couple of offseasons. Spencer is in his final year pf his contract and hasn't proven he's worthy of breaking the bank to retain.

Basically, most of the talent base that was built up during Parcells tenure is going to start crumbling via age or roster defections. The Cowboys will be lucky if they can break even just plugging up the leaks with the draft picks they currently have, much less giving them away.

Last season Jerry was reserved he has also went out and got guys like Sanders and was blasted for that.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870835 said:
Last season Jerry was reserved he has also went out and got guys like Sanders and was blasted for that.

Jeez dude, it's been like 17 years since Jerry signed Deion Sanders.

The only premium free agent he's signed in recent history is Leonard Davis, and that was 4 years ago. The rest have been mid tier and scrap heap guys like Igor and Brookings and Sensabaugh. There's absolutely no reason to believe Jerry is going to break the bank to bring in a lot of outside free agents to plug holes when he's shown to be extremely hesitant to do so in recent history. That's fine, probably best to build through the draft anyway, but to do so you need draft picks.