Cowboys could give up 3rd and 4th round picks to move up for Patrick Peterson

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3870842 said:
Jeez dude, it's been like 17 years since Jerry signed Deion Sanders. Fact is Jerry really hasn't brought in a premium outside free agent since Leonard Davis, and that was about 4 offseasons ago. The rest have been mid-tier and bargain basement signings like Brookings, Sensabaugh and Igor.

True most are stop gap players but then that is what many others use FA for but Jerry has shown he will use go after bigger names if needed like a Davis.

Clearly you have your opinion on Peterson and I have mine and if given the chance to get a guy I felt was elite and helped make the secondary stronger then I would it, you would not do that then good for you, you have your own opinion.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870847 said:
True most are stop gap players but then that is what many others use FA for but Jerry has shown he will use go after bigger names if needed like a Davis.

Clearly you have your opinion on Peterson and I have mine and if given the chance to get a guy I felt was elite and helped make the secondary stronger then I would it, you would not do that then good for you, you have your own opinion.

I love that your opinion is to make the secondary better, and anyone that disagrees clearly doesn't want the secondary to be stronger.
:laugh2:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870847 said:

And I'm glad you're so certain that filling 1 CB position (assuming he even plays CB at the NFL level) will singlehandedly makeup for the laundry list of holes this organization will be forced to address in the next 12-24 months, to the point where you're willing to mortgage an entire draft to do so . Some of us want to address the offensive lines, defensive lines and linebackers as well .. just to name a few.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;3870867 said:
I love that your opinion is to make the secondary better, and anyone that disagrees clearly doesn't want the secondary to be stronger.
:laugh2:

Did not mean it that way. I think there are some good CB and they would help. I think Peterson is an elite prospect that do not come around often who possess the size and speed he brings to the table.

There are other directions the Cowboys may go and I have stated that many times such as moving back getting Camiri and getting the extra pick. Sitting at 9 I'm sure we will have offers come our way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3870885 said:
And I'm glad you're so certain that filling 1 CB position (assuming he even plays CB at the NFL level) will singlehandedly makeup for the laundry list of holes this organization will be forced to address in the next 12-24 months, to the point where you're willing to mortgage an entire draft to do so . Some of us want to address the offensive lines, defensive lines and linebackers as well .. just to name a few.

Where did I state that because I was willing to give up a 3rd as well as swapping 1st? Oh my the whole draft is down the tubes because we don't have a 3rd. Give me a break.

Verdict

Reaction score
I realize there are arguments to be made on both sides of the coin for winning every game you can win, and the trade off for a lesser pick with each win we notch. To those of you who say that they would rather have 6 wins and a lower pick rather than 5 wins and a much more valuable pick, I would say that no matter how you slice it, the lower you finish, the more options you have available on draft day.

If you think about it, the Cowboys dynasty was created with the high draft picks we had in the years prior and of course the H. Walker trade contributed to that as well. That one win, MIGHT keep us from getting the player we think is the number one overall pick in the draft with a slight trade up, or it might not matter at all, but it is definite that there is an opportunity cost in a player trhat we might miss out due to the win.

Do any of you who are happy that we won additional games when they were really irrelevant since we were out of the playoffs look back at the years when we went 5 and 11 for three successive years NOW and say thank God we won 5 games instead of 4 in those years? I highly doubt it!!!

It is super bowl or bust for this franchise. I'm glad it is that way. Since we were out of the hunt last year, I would have taken every advantage I could to assist us in getting there in future years and higher draft picks and evaluating rookies and young players in game situations serve that goal. I'm not saying HOW we played wasn't important, but I am saying playing young players and a lower win total would have served toward that end.

The only variables that I see that weigh in favor of winning every game possible is the potential cap cost for a high draft pick, and the p.r. hit the franchise takes (which might well cost the franchise in sales, etc.). But the latter does not impact our future ability to win games.

Verdict

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3870790 said:
don't want to use any of our draft picks to move up

we got to many needs

Yes. We also have too many needs as well. :laugh1:

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
nyc;3870645 said:
Can you guarantee he ends up being an Ed Reed? Then you are gambling big time that he will. The odds in him being that good of a player in his career are slim. He just has the physical tools to be a great player. The question is does he have the brains to be that good. Thats what puts the Ed Reeds, Charles Woodsons, Ray Lewis' over the top. They have the physical tools AND the brains to use them.

Peterson hasn't shown anything thus far that he has the brains to be that good. (of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't have them)

No, but you have to go by how productive he was in college, and what scouts say about the guy. We know PP has the measurable skill sets, but he has that "X factor." The same "X factor" that Dez possesses. We're going to pass on a player of his caliber, because of a 3rd round pick that Jerry will probably flop on? All I'm saying is, the CHANCE of PP being a great player, is much higher than a 3rd round pick panning out. Ask Jason Hatcher, Robert Brewster and James Marten.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
so we draft a CB

no lets get this right we trade up for a CB who we play a Safety

REAL SMART MOVE

:bang2:

TheSport78

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3870941 said:
so we draft a CB

no lets get this right we trade up for a CB who we play a Safety

REAL SMART MOVE

:bang2:

Yeah, I disagree with moving PP to safety right away. If we somehow draft PP, Newman is no longer a Cowboy.

JBS

Reaction score
agreed that it is a dumb idea to move up to get peterson..

this team is all flash and no substance..getting peterson = more flash

we need some big ugglies..stockpiling picks is a good way to generate more big ugglies..

the only thing it, Peterson isnt going to get drafted in the top 4...I have a strong feeling Peterson will end up in Dallas..

I hope I am wrong

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3870890 said:
Did not mean it that way. I think there are some good CB and they would help. I think Peterson is an elite prospect that do not come around often who possess the size and speed he brings to the table.

There are other directions the Cowboys may go and I have stated that many times such as moving back getting Camiri and getting the extra pick. Sitting at 9 I'm sure we will have offers come our way.

Fair enough, I know you didn't mean that but the way you wrote it made it seem like you were saying he has no interest in a better secondary.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3869544 said:
I don't think anyone said management should've thrown the game. And like Doomsday said, what we fans want has no impact on what happens.

The question is what is more valuable, that game or a 3rd round pick and more?

Tons of people claimed that win was worth whatever it cost. Frankly, I think -- no, I know -- that tons were rooting for it for Garrett's sake, so they could say all offseason he had a winning record and so he could get the permanent job. But we learned later that Jerry had already made up his mind anyway.

So in the end, that game accomplished nothing.

I still laugh at people crying like a pig over WINNING a regular season NFL game. Its absolutely ridiculous to me.

Now had we had a chance to draft #1 and get a once a decade type franchise player like Troy Aikman or John Elway, I'd be all for making little effort to win. otherwise its pretty lame to complain about winning a game and beating a hated divisional rival on the road.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheSport78;3870944 said:
Yeah, I disagree with moving PP to safety right away. If we somehow draft PP, Newman is no longer a Cowboy.

I'll bet just about anything you are wrong.

TheSport78

Reaction score
dbair1967;3871096 said:
I'll bet just about anything you are wrong.

I said IF we draft PP, Newman is gone. No way does Peterson play over Newman, and PP will not move to safety. So yeah, if PP is drafted, unless Newman takes a pay cut, he's gone.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;3871093 said:
I still laugh at people crying like a pig over WINNING a regular season NFL game. Its absolutely ridiculous to me.
Yep, calmly discussing the topic and believing that game wasn't worth a 3rd rounder is "crying like a pig". :laugh2:

But hey, if that win was more valuable to you than a top-75 pick, then that's great.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
bbgun;3869345 said:
Still happy we won the Philly game? The damage lingers.

Conceding losses for draft picks are what loser franchises do. I would never wish it.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheSport78;3871135 said:
I said IF we draft PP, Newman is gone. No way does Peterson play over Newman, and PP will not move to safety. So yeah, if PP is drafted, unless Newman takes a pay cut, he's gone.

Flawed logic IMO. You can never have too many good CB's. If they dont need the cap space, they wouldnt consider releasing Newman, and shouldnt

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3871144 said:
Yep, calmly discussing the topic and believing that game wasn't worth a 3rd rounder is "crying like a pig". :laugh2:

But hey, if that win was more valuable to you than a top-75 pick, then that's great.

Dude, they dont give you extra picks for losing more games, you get higher picks.

You can only get extra picks from there if someone agrees to trade with you, which might not happen.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;3871188 said:
Dude, they dont give you extra picks for losing more games, you get higher picks.
Um, no kidding. The entire premise of this thread is trading up to 5 or 6 to get Peterson, which would require approximately a 3rd round pick.