Cowboys could trade up for Barr?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's got a bit of the DeMarcus Ware Mr. Nice Guy mindset too but without Ware's freak ability.

I would be underwhelmed with that pick at 16.

Well like you posted, he's not a 3-down player at DE... Not now. Maybe not ever.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Do not use his name in vain.

It was a serious question. People are so prone to think he can work miracles, I was just asking something less than wine from water. Has he ever taught a man to fish instead of making it from loaves of bread?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a serious question. People are so prone to think he can work miracles, I was just asking something less than wine from water. Has he ever taught a man to fish instead of making it from loaves of bread?

With the right nickname anything is possible.

Barr's got talent. I just don't think there is any scenario where he'll be the BPA in my view at 16.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
makes you wonder if all the talk about Manziel, Donald and Barr is only a smoke-screen....but Jerry Jones has never been any good at laying the ground work for a smoke screen.... or making trades...

draft is the deepest in rounds 3-7 not in the 1st..

I think the draft is deepest in the first three rounds and there's a horrific gap in the 4th-6th rounds.

I also think smoke screens are a fan fiction. These guys have enough information from being at pro days, scout communication, and workouts to know who is likely thinking what. That's how draft trades happen - people know who to move ahead of, etc.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You have to make the draft work for you. If that means trading up,down or staying,fine.
A gambler like Jerry will use the prevailing sentiment to work for him.
He must be in heaven about this time.His in a good spot to work a trade or......

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to make the draft work for you. If that means trading up,down or staying,fine.
A gambler like Jerry will use the prevailing sentiment to work for him.
He must be in heaven about this time.His in a good spot to work a trade or......

I think the best at it are patient and let the process work itself out and are more likely to stockpile picks than they are to shorten their class for one player.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You would agree wouldn't you that if you identify a talent that for the next seven to ten years will be a difference
maker you go get him. Particularly at a critical spot.I agree more selections make better odds.Nor or we one
guy away but ...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You would agree wouldn't you that if you identify a talent that for the next seven to ten years will be a difference
maker you go get him. Particularly at a critical spot.I agree more selections make better odds.Nor or we one
guy away but ...

For an elite talent, sure. But you better be right or it will set you back.

StarHead69

Reaction score
IMO Barr is a high ceiling albeit high risk 'potential' guy that we should avoid, since we are in no position to gamble with our first round pick. It would drive me crazy if we traded picks to move up for him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well like you posted, he's not a 3-down player at DE... Not now. Maybe not ever.

Ware played less run defense in the Kiffin/Marinelli scheme than in RR's scheme.

More often than not, Ware was either crashing down inside or rushing wide outside even on running plays. He rarely set the edge against the run; whereas, in RR's defense he was often in a read-and-react mode and was responsible to set the edge against the run. Playing the WDE in Marinelli's defense is drastically different than playing DE in a 4-3 like the Gaints run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really go back and forth on Barr, I love his potential but I still can't square the game tape with taking him in the top 10 or 15 picks. I'm really waivering on whether Dallas wants him or Donald the most, but if they want Donald the best move would be to put up a smokescreen about wanting Barr badly. Its also a move Jones does almost every year prior to the draft.

There are not many options in this draft in terms of a DE with both length and elite quickness/athleticism; whereas, there are a number of options at DT throughout this draft.

In free agency, DEs cost more than DTs. The franchise tag difference is about 3M more for a DE.

If you had a similar grade on Barr and Donald, you would pick Barr due to the position value of DE over DT.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
There are not many options in this draft in terms of a DE with both length and elite quickness/athleticism; whereas, there are a number of options at DT throughout this draft.

In free agency, DEs cost more than DTs. The franchise tag difference is about 3M more for a DE.

If you had a similar grade on Barr and Donald, you would pick Barr due to the position value of DE over DT.

Yes, but I would tend to believe that Donald has a higher grade, at this point, than Barr. Barr may have better long term upside but Donald appears to be the clear-cut blue chip prospect at this time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but I would tend to believe that Donald has a higher grade, at this point, than Barr. Barr may have better long term upside but Donald appears to be the clear-cut blue chip prospect at this time.

Donald is definitely better now. I don't know how they account for upside vs ready now in their rankings. I know Jerry has said they want immediate contributor with 1st round picks, but DL are rotational players which is much different than the all-or-nothing scenario of a position like OLine.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Donald is definitely better now. I don't know how they account for upside vs ready now in their rankings. I know Jerry has said they want immediate contributor with 1st round picks, but DL are rotational players which is much different than the all-or-nothing scenario of a position like OLine.

Good point!

Donald, Barr and Martin (not necessarily in that order) are my top three choices at 16 so I would be pleased if any one of the three was wearing a star come mini-camp.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Good point!

Donald, Barr and Martin (not necessarily in that order) are my top three choices at 16 so I would be pleased if any one of the three was wearing a star come mini-camp.

Might be more of the lying game, but according to some blurbs on Rotoworld, both Donald and Martin are getting consideration from 10-15.