Recommended Cowboys cuts and Roster Moves - Ratliff to PUP, Cook, Crawford to IR

dart

Reaction score
welll Rat should have been a responable person an got all this fixed in the off season

if we get 4 games from him I will be surprised

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
welll Rat should have been a responable person an got all this fixed in the off season

if we get 4 games from him I will be surprised

he had surgery in December. his body is simply breaking down and our contract dictates we aren't giving up when we would otherwise.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I'm very divided on Tanney. On one hand, he has shown us something. On the other hand, keeping 3 QB's is very difficult in today's NFL. I honestly think he is destined for the PS.

I think I read that he may play the whole game v. Texans. If so, they should be able to evaluate him a little closer to see if he's worth investing in for the future.

Reaction score
he had surgery in December. his body is simply breaking down and our contract dictates we aren't giving up when we would otherwise.

yeah, but when did he actually stop playing last year? Seems like it was very early in the season. They should have had it done then, they knew this "let's see how it heals" things is BS 99% of the time.

jday

Reaction score
I think I read that he may play the whole game v. Texans. If so, they should be able to evaluate him a little closer to see if he's worth investing in for the future.

It's a win / win for the Cowboys. EIther he plays well enough to warrant another team trying to trade for rights rather than risk him going to the waiver wire or he'll make the PS. EIther way, I don't see him on the final 53...especially with how poor special teams has been.

Ren

Reaction score
Ratliff should surprise absolutely no one

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You nailed it.

And he knows it too, that's why he's in no rush to do anything.

I will be surprised if we can any other contribution from him before he is cut.

When all is said and done, I think he's reviled rather than endeared by Cowboys fans.

I know which boat I'm in already.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
You nailed it.

And he knows it too, that's why he's in no rush to do anything.

I will be surprised if we can any other contribution from him before he is cut.

When all is said and done, I think he's reviled rather than endeared by Cowboys fans.

I know which boat I'm in already.

I'm not going to speculate on his drive. he always struck me as a prideful player, but who knows.

his days as a force are already a distant memory to most fans.. hard to imagine he shows much in 6 weeks, but a Cinderella season hinges on such unlikely events, so here's to hoping you are wrong!

Deep_South

Reaction score
It's a win / win for the Cowboys. EIther he plays well enough to warrant another team trying to trade for rights rather than risk him going to the waiver wire or he'll make the PS. EIther way, I don't see him on the final 53...especially with how poor special teams has been.

If only it was that simple. It is also possible that Tanney plays well and another team just grabs him when we cut him, which is a necessary step to get him to the practice squad.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not going to speculate on his drive. he always struck me as a prideful player, but who knows.

his days as a force are already a distant memory to most fans.. hard to imagine he shows much in 6 weeks, but a Cinderella season hinges on such unlikely events, so here's to hoping you are wrong!

I saw it last year, though some will try to spin it differently.

Ratliff made no tangible contributions in the few games he played last year.

His stat line was a flat line.

And I expect more of the same before he's shown the door for good.

A sad end to a once great career.

Dwight

Reaction score
We should have moved on from Ratliff and cut him this offseason. And has nothing to do with his DWI. He hasn't been worth anything in years now. He's useless.

I said that this past offseason. I like Rat but he has not been the same since the 2008 season. This past draft was Dallas' opportunity to load up on DTs and they blew it.

jday

Reaction score
If only it was that simple. It is also possible that Tanney plays well and another team just grabs him when we cut him, which is a necessary step to get him to the practice squad.

That's a possibility, I realize. But I'm betting it's less of a possibility with a QB. If I'm not mistaken, there is an order in which teams can claim players off of waivers. If Team A thinks there is a possibility a Team B is also interested and is shorter on said list, they may try to strike a trade. That's all I was saying. There is more of a possibility for things to go right for the Cowboys than there are things that could go wrong, if that makes sense.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Wondering what's gonna happen with Livings.

I would hope the Cowboys could find a better option next week. Take Livings to the 53 roster, search the waiver wires for a capable developmental project, and make the switch. At least the new guy could walk to the lunch counter on his own.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not surprising at all. The fact that Tanney played the entire second half last week and Stephens didn't play at all tells me the writing was on the wall a long time ago. Tanney beat out Stephens, it's as simple as that. Yes, I think Tanney's performance this week might be the deciding factor in whether to keep him on the active roster or send him to the PS. Either way, he's definitely not getting released.
It is surprising that he was cut during this round of cuts. It was a given that he'd be gone by the cut down to 53, but the thought was that they still needed an extra QB to take reps for the last game.

To me, what this says is that the Cowboys don't plan on trying to hide Tanney (to sneak him on the PS) since he'll be getting tons of reps. If he shows enough, he'll have to make the 53. If he's lousy, then it will be easier to either put him on the PS or let him go.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
It is surprising that he was cut during this round of cuts. It was a given that he'd be gone by the cut down to 53, but the thought was that they still needed an extra QB to take reps for the last game.

To me, what this says is that the Cowboys don't plan on trying to hide Tanney (to sneak him on the PS) since he'll be getting tons of reps. If he shows enough, he'll have to make the 53. If he's lousy, then it will be easier to either put him on the PS or let him go.

Hiding Tanney? That's just some stuff a few posters make up. Stephens was not going to make the team nor P.S, why keep him around? No, give Tanney the full game, see what he can do. If he does well, good, maybe he makes the 53. If he doesn't, oh well, maybe he makes the P.S. Don't make this any more complicated than it has to be.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hiding Tanney? That's just some stuff a few posters make up. Stephens was not going to make the team nor P.S, why keep him around? No, give Tanney the full game, see what he can do. If he does well, good, maybe he makes the 53. If he doesn't, oh well, maybe he makes the P.S. Don't make this any more complicated than it has to be.

Posters didn't make that up. The Cowboys have done it before - most recently with Ben Bass last year. It's been written about by reporters as well. It's obviously not happening now, which IMO ups his chances for making the 53, but it's not a practice that's just 'made up by a few posters'.

Fredd

Reaction score
Keep in mind they will cut more than the 22 that someone suggested. They will want to get under 53 so that they can grab up a body or two that get cut by someone else

kinda like fantasy football, only not a fantasy if you are the player in the 51-55 range