Recommended Cowboys cuts and Roster Moves - Ratliff to PUP, Cook, Crawford to IR

sbark

Reaction score
Could be viewed as Tanney's 1st "playoff game".......to see how he reponds with the chaos of 2nd and 3rd stringers surrounding him will tell a lot.
I hope he shines, there is something about the kid. He may have to show the wheels I've heard say he has a few times.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Could be viewed as Tanney's 1st "playoff game".......to see how he reponds with the chaos of 2nd and 3rd stringers surrounding him will tell a lot.
I hope he shines, there is something about the kid. He may have to show the wheels I've heard say he has a few times.

So if he wins, we can consider Tanney to be 1-0 in 'win or go home' games?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Semantics. If you want to say he has been released first and then put on the practice squad, it really makes no difference. Because PS players are free agents, just as released players are, except with a couple of small caveats. The point I'm making here is that he will not be outright released, if no other team wants him, he will be on our PS. I think his performance this week will dictate whether the team wants to take the chance of leaving him exposed to other teams. Play so-so, and I think they take the chance of putting him on the PS, he plays really well, I think they keep him on the 53.

No, it does make a difference and is the primary reason to not expose him to waivers at all. Which is why some have said he will make the roster. That's very important for several reasons. One is to keep a potential eventual starting QB on the roster and the other major reason is the ripple effect thru the roster that it will cause. If you knew you could put him on the PS, then you could still develop the guy as long as he wanted to stay here up to the point he loses his PS eligibility. You can't waive him and expect to keep him so you have to waive another. And that might be an OL, DL, yada you'd like to develop as well. So it makes a big difference you can't just put him on the PS.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I've had a sneaking suspicion that they are trying to sneak Stephens onto the practice squad.

I doubt that but it's possible they see enough in him to keep him on the PS. Chances are he'll either be picked up by another team which I doubt as well or he goes to another PS team he has a better chance in the long run of being the guy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hiding Tanney? That's just some stuff a few posters make up....

Nope, it's a common practice if a team thinks they've got a hot commodity at a position they normally wouldn't dedicate a roster spot to. They play them in practice, but not in preseason games. They can still get poached by a good scouting report, but at that point, you're comparing a report to dozens of other reports you get from teams across the league. It's not the same thing as seeing a guy go 12-for-12 throwing to scrubs who can't get separation during garbage time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posters didn't make that up. The Cowboys have done it before - most recently with Ben Bass last year. It's been written about by reporters as well. It's obviously not happening now, which IMO ups his chances for making the 53, but it's not a practice that's just 'made up by a few posters'.

Yeah, teams will also release guys they want to get on the PS in the early cuts, to make it seem like they're not as high on them as they are on other players they're considering. When teams are struggling with their own cutdowns, they're not necessarily in talent acquisition mode. Once you get your roster set, though, you start your proscouts looking at other teams' PSs to see if you can't upgrade the bottom of your roster anywhere. If you think the guy can play, you keep him where you can develop him so you don't get Danny-Amendola'd.

sbark

Reaction score
So if he wins, we can consider Tanney to be 1-0 in 'win or go home' games?

.....I'd look at it more like a play-in game, show well-make the 53, play weak---ps and keep a position of pressing need at this time.

Aven8

Reaction score
The "Jets" will be on the first plane to Dallas to pick this kid up. He's more exciting IMO then Sancheese or what Smith has shown.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
The "Jets" will be on the first plane to Dallas to pick this kid up. He's more exciting IMO then Sancheese or what Smith has shown.

Or buffalo, or Oakland, or jax. There are some teams seriously hurting at QB.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Nope, it's a common practice if a team thinks they've got a hot commodity at a position they normally wouldn't dedicate a roster spot to. They play them in practice, but not in preseason games. They can still get poached by a good scouting report, but at that point, you're comparing a report to dozens of other reports you get from teams across the league. It's not the same thing as seeing a guy go 12-for-12 throwing to scrubs who can't get separation during garbage time.

Really? Seems odd to me. How can a guy, typically a late rounder or an undrafted guy, show so much in practice that they don't even play him in a preseason game? Wouldn't they want to see him in real game situations? How can they possibly make any kind of real evaluation of his playing ability without actually seeing him play? And if he's so good, why don't they just keep him on the 53?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Seems like once the preseason games started they stopped going to him.
Eh, wasted time. Since they know it's going to be Tanney over Stephens anyway, why not give Tanney the full game to show what he can do? Of all the players playing in this game, I think Tanney definitely has the most on the line. It's going to determine whether he's on the 53 or off to the practice squad where there is a chance he could get picked up by a team far less awesome than America's Team.

What happens if Tanney gets hurt?

funkytown

Reaction score
I'd like for them to keep Tanney, but not sure there is room. This team has so many injuries, hard to justify keeping 3 QB's.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I'd rather keep Tanney on the 53 and try to move him or Orton for a pick next year to one of the needy teams or ones drafting someone high next year.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Here's a little love for Micah Pellerin. I hope he manages to squeeze into the 53 or the practice squad somehow.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
surprised Stephens was included in this one...i figured he would be playing a lot on Thursday. guess that means Tanney is playing the whole game? if that's the case you gotta believe they are seriously considering keeping him on the 53 or hoping someone will see enough to want him bad enough to trade for him rather than leaving it up to waivers?

Not surprised at all by Stephens getting cut he hasn't seen any action the past 2 games the writing was on the wall. It's clear the Cowboys like Tanney better.