News: Cowboys' D-line looks ready to return to dominant form

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys' D-line looks ready to return to dominant form
www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766527/cowboys-d-line-finally-looks-like-it-can-catch-up-to-its-past-success

Starting in 2011, the Cowboys made it a priority to rebuild their offensive line with first-round picks. Tyron Smith was followed by Travis Frederick in 2013 and Zack Martin in 2014. La'el Collins was a first-round talent but fell to an undrafted free agent. Last month, the Cowboys took Connor Williams in the second round and project him to be their starting left guard.

The defensive line has been built a little differently but with quality picks. Crawford was a third-rounder in 2012. Lawrence was a second-rounder in 2014. Taco Charlton was a first-round pick last year. Maliek Collins was a third-rounder in 2016.

The Cowboys have also picked up other high-round picks from other teams, such as Datone Jones (first round, Green Bay Packers 2010), Kony Ealy (second round, Carolina Panthers 2014). Dallas traded for Jihad Ward (second round, Oakland Raiders 2016)...

Perhaps come training camp the Cowboys will get another talented piece to the defensive front in Randy Gregory. He was a second-round pick in 2016 but has played in only two games the past two seasons because of suspension. He has filed for reinstatement to the NFL, and the Cowboys are not ready to give up on a talent that was projected to be a top-five pick if not for his off-field troubles...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No real 1 tech but somehow the D-line is going to be amazing? :facepalm:

That's my issue. LOADED at defensive end, maybe even overloaded (and why are they planning to play Crawford at end full-time?). But nose tackle and even 3-technique with Collins brittle feet, give me pause for concern.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's my issue. LOADED at defensive end, maybe even overloaded (and why are they planning to play Crawford at end full-time?). But nose tackle and even 3-technique with Collins brittle feet, give me pause for concern.
We need answers! This defense has to be functional in 2018! I hate waiting for camp and preseason games.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys' D-line looks ready to return to dominant form
www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766527/cowboys-d-line-finally-looks-like-it-can-catch-up-to-its-past-success

Starting in 2011, the Cowboys made it a priority to rebuild their offensive line with first-round picks. Tyron Smith was followed by Travis Frederick in 2013 and Zack Martin in 2014. La'el Collins was a first-round talent but fell to an undrafted free agent. Last month, the Cowboys took Connor Williams in the second round and project him to be their starting left guard.

The defensive line has been built a little differently but with quality picks. Crawford was a third-rounder in 2012. Lawrence was a second-rounder in 2014. Taco Charlton was a first-round pick last year. Maliek Collins was a third-rounder in 2016.

The Cowboys have also picked up other high-round picks from other teams, such as Datone Jones (first round, Green Bay Packers 2010), Kony Ealy (second round, Carolina Panthers 2014). Dallas traded for Jihad Ward (second round, Oakland Raiders 2016)...

Perhaps come training camp the Cowboys will get another talented piece to the defensive front in Randy Gregory. He was a second-round pick in 2016 but has played in only two games the past two seasons because of suspension. He has filed for reinstatement to the NFL, and the Cowboys are not ready to give up on a talent that was projected to be a top-five pick if not for his off-field troubles...

Ready to return to dominant form???

We haven't had a dominant Defense since the Jimmy days?
What are you talking about bud?
Still a longggg way to go with our defense we're young and lacking real talent in many positions!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need answers! This defense has to be functional in 2018! I hate waiting for camp and preseason games.

I like most every other spot on the defense. I'm even excited to see what Xavier Woods can do if given the chance at free safety.

But this crap of ignoring the 1-tech (while the Eagles rush for 200 yards and dismantle you!) has got to stop!

Even if these ends and the pass rush come through, teams will then simply try to run the ball all over this defense.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
lets be real honest. if Rod doesnt have to worry about the whole D. and he can concentrate on his Dline. yes, i think he can make it good because hes a good dline coach. Lets just be honest about that.

If Kris gets the dbs working well, than both of those units can make a difference.

lets also not be foolish, the LB corp is not going to be stellar openinging day. so without stats, without over detailing right now. I expect the DL to the best day 1. I am hoping Kris starts fine tuning the dbs, i think and im glad we played the young crop last year, gives them experience. So lets say that unit can really help. This D wont be good for a bit, but it can, sustain a good ranking if things are streamlined.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No real 1 tech but somehow the D-line is going to be amazing? :facepalm:

Obviously, getting a strong, run-stuffing 1-tech would have been great, but it's more important to me to have the disruptive players we're assembling.

I believe strongly that Collins can handle the 1-tech duties backed up by Price. However, his foot injury is obviously a concern because I don't see Price as a starter and we don't have anyone else who can fill that role.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously, getting a strong, run-stuffing 1-tech would have been great, but it's more important to me to have the disruptive players we're assembling.

I believe strongly that Collins can handle the 1-tech duties backed up by Price. However, his foot injury is obviously a concern because I don't see Price as a starter and we don't have anyone else who can fill that role.

I don't see Collins as a good 1-tech option at all. No matter what the team might say differently. Too many times last year I saw him blown off the ball.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lets be real honest. if Rod doesnt have to worry about the whole D. and he can concentrate on his Dline. yes, i think he can make it good because hes a good dline coach. Lets just be honest about that.

Absolutely, positively true. Ideally, defensive line coach is Marinelli's best role. The more he can focus on that, the better.

If Kris gets the dbs working well, than both of those units can make a difference.

lets also not be foolish, the LB corp is not going to be stellar openinging day. so without stats, without over detailing right now. I expect the DL to the best day 1. I am hoping Kris starts fine tuning the dbs, i think and im glad we played the young crop last year, gives them experience. So lets say that unit can really help. This D wont be good for a bit, but it can, sustain a good ranking if things are streamlined.

I truly believe that we're looking at a true split of the defensive responsibilities here, essentially 50-50 between Richard and Marinelli.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

The word at the Star in Frisco is they don't like the typical fat guy that can plug the 1 tech hole. They want a big guy there that has some mobility to him. M.Collins' glass feet are not the answer. Price is a bad patch at best.