News: Cowboys' D-line looks ready to return to dominant form

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still a longggg way to go with our defense we're young and lacking real talent in many positions!
I'd like to see that list. It has to be a pretty short one. Many positions? Wow. Well, the Cowboys might need a S. 1T is always on everyones Christmas list. I see pretty solid players with good talent everywhere else.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The last time you could claim that a Cowboy Defense was dominant was when we were contending for SB titles. We haven't had a dominant defense in 20+ years and no, we didn't have a dominant defense when Ware was here. We certainly don't have one now with old man Marinara as DC.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The word at the Star in Frisco is they don't like the typical fat guy that can plug the 1 tech hole. They want a big guy there that has some mobility to him. M.Collins' glass feet are not the answer. Price is a bad patch at best.

The con with there philosophy is that guy kills us in the run game by getting gashed by a no name RB from GB and the pro with a fat guy is that he will take on 2 guys and free up the LB's to tackle, ask Ray how that work out for him with the Ravens.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
See we agree on something.

I agree this DL can be good but not great unless they find a legit 1 Tech.

But they seem intent on following the philosophy that any old joe blow can play there.
I'm going to reverse my position then, just so the earth stays on its axis.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I don't see Collins as a good 1-tech option at all. No matter what the team might say differently. Too many times last year I saw him blown off the ball.

Didn't you hear? We like our DT's undersized. Doesn't matter how many times it fails or how many times we get beat by QB operating on just one leg. We will keep at it until the bitter end.

DiResta

Reaction score
See we agree on something.

I agree this DL can be good but not great unless they find a legit 1 Tech.

But they seem intent on following the philosophy that any old joe blow can play there.
i believe the term is "Position Flexibility"

like Jaylon at safety
QB at safety
that sort of thing

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
2008 was very dominant. Lol.

If they werent, then there's no chance this current group is even "good" by your standards.

What is the basis of comparison that gives the current crop of Cowboy defenders the moniker of "good?" It's a defense that falls apart when one guy (Sean Lee) leaves the game. We are an average team with some good players on offense and perhaps a couple of guys on defense. Overall the defensive scheme they are running is outdated garbage.

Terrancemcclain

Reaction score
The con with there philosophy is that guy kills us in the run game by getting gashed by a no name RB from GB and the pro with a fat guy is that he will take on 2 guys and free up the LB's to tackle, ask Ray how that work out for him with the Ravens.
Didn't ray have two fat guys in front of him?Tony saragoosa and Sam Adams? I think they both weigh 350 or close to it. The more the merrier. Instead rod will roll with 280 pounds datone jones. That will work well in run defense

Go cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flagwave::flagwave::flagwave::flagwave:

Sarc/off

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
We arent talking about defenders, we are specifically talking about the Dline.

Okay, same question except let's focus on the D-line. Lawrence has one good year as .....I hate this term...War Daddy. What makes you think he replicates it? How is this defensive line all of a sudden better with the addition of one rookie in the draft?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't see Collins as a good 1-tech option at all. No matter what the team might say differently. Too many times last year I saw him blown off the ball.

When Collins took over the 1-tech spot because Paea retired and Irving returned, he had to adjust and the defense had to adapt to use his skills well. He has good size, but its his quickness that makes him difficult to handle one-on-one, so Dallas started letting him use his quickness at the spot.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised since quickness for his size is Collins' greatest asset if Price is out there in obvious running situations, and we line up Irving and Collins together in more likely passing situations. If we end up finding a second starting end among the group that we have, Crawford could also end up rotating with that group. Jones, Ealy and Ward also are possibilities.

We certainly could have upgraded that run-defense role that Price will play but realize that we're talking about around 20 snaps per game compared to around 40 to 50 each for Collins and Irving at the DT spots. Again, the only real cog in the plan is Collins' foot injuries.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Didn't ray have two fat guys in front of him?Tony saragoosa and Sam Adams? I think they both weigh 350 or close to it. The more the merrier. Instead rod will roll with 280 pounds datone jones. That will work well in run defense

Go cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flagwave::flagwave::flagwave::flagwave:

Sarc/off

It's why Sean Lee is in the ER perpetually. No beef on the interior of the line. Instead he leaves it up to the linebackers to get pasted.