News: Cowboys' D-line looks ready to return to dominant form

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Okay, same question except let's focus on the D-line. Lawrence has one good year as .....I hate this term...War Daddy. What makes you think he replicates it? How is this defensive line all of a sudden better with the addition of one rookie in the draft?

This one good year crap irritates me. In 2015, when we moved him to left end, he had seven sacks in the final eight games after he settled into the position. The setbacks (suspension, injury) kept him from building on that, and some fans were overreacting and wanted to dump him instead of looking at how good he was for the previous half-season.

His success in 2017 was no surprise to anyone who was paying attention to 2015, although I can see why fans would want to remove that season from their memories.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Cowboys' D-line looks ready to return to dominant form
www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766527/cowboys-d-line-finally-looks-like-it-can-catch-up-to-its-past-success

Starting in 2011, the Cowboys made it a priority to rebuild their offensive line with first-round picks. Tyron Smith was followed by Travis Frederick in 2013 and Zack Martin in 2014. La'el Collins was a first-round talent but fell to an undrafted free agent. Last month, the Cowboys took Connor Williams in the second round and project him to be their starting left guard.

The defensive line has been built a little differently but with quality picks. Crawford was a third-rounder in 2012. Lawrence was a second-rounder in 2014. Taco Charlton was a first-round pick last year. Maliek Collins was a third-rounder in 2016.

The Cowboys have also picked up other high-round picks from other teams, such as Datone Jones (first round, Green Bay Packers 2010), Kony Ealy (second round, Carolina Panthers 2014). Dallas traded for Jihad Ward (second round, Oakland Raiders 2016)...

Perhaps come training camp the Cowboys will get another talented piece to the defensive front in Randy Gregory. He was a second-round pick in 2016 but has played in only two games the past two seasons because of suspension. He has filed for reinstatement to the NFL, and the Cowboys are not ready to give up on a talent that was projected to be a top-five pick if not for his off-field troubles...
This is an extremely, dare I say laughably, optimistic take. Datone Jones was a first-rounder! (Who's never been a starter). Randy Gregory will be back! (After not playing for two years). Jihad Ward was a second-rounder! (Who was projected to go much later in that draft). Crawford hasn't done much lately. Charlton and Collins haven't done much period.

Sure, maybe it all comes together for these guys this year. But I'm not holding my breath.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
This one good year crap irritates me. In 2015, when we moved him to left end, he had seven sacks in the final eight games after he settled into the position. The setbacks (suspension, injury) kept him from building on that, and some fans were overreacting and wanted to dump him instead of looking at how good he was for the previous half-season.

His success in 2017 was no surprise to anyone who was paying attention to 2015, although I can see why fans would want to remove that season from their memories.

Ummm so it is one good year. 2015 he had seven sacks in 16 games. 2016 was the injury year along with the suspension and he had 1 sack in 9 games played.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Okay, same question except let's focus on the D-line. Lawrence has one good year as .....I hate this term...War Daddy. What makes you think he replicates it? How is this defensive line all of a sudden better with the addition of one rookie in the draft?

Noooo Lawrence has had two good years in three healthy seasons. Just watch his hand technique with and his counter moves. I think Lawrence will actually improve on his #'s barring injury considering we omly had 8 games of and the Cowboys not getting a single holding call in a 7 week span. He had the 3rd most QB pressures in the entire league, which is the best indicator of future sack success.

Why do you think he'll regress?

Only a rookie?
I guess you missed some other moves.
Tapper is coming back from injury after only seeing 37 snaps last year and getting a sack in that limited time.
Possibly getting Gregory back
Signing Ealy who is his young careee has dominated at times.
Irving not being suspended for eight games
Price and Ross both not missing the majority of the season
Trading for Ward who has been a bust to this point
And then there's Armstrong

CPanther95

Reaction score
This is an extremely, dare I say laughably, optimistic take. Datone Jones was a first-rounder! (Who's never been a starter). Randy Gregory will be back! (After not playing for two years). Jihad Ward was a second-rounder! (Who was projected to go much later in that draft). Crawford hasn't done much lately. Charlton and Collins haven't done much period.

Sure, maybe it all comes together for these guys this year. But I'm not holding my breath.

When you mention a vet's draft round instead of his NFL career, it's a huge red flag.

That's like trying to sell someone a scratch-off lottery ticket that you've already scratched off and claiming they still have the potential to hit a big jackpot.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Honestly it was a shock to the mass majority of Cowboys fans.

On my other forums I was the absolute only person that favored Lawrence and stood up for him. 85% of posters said if he didnt have a good TC he should be cut before the season.

It was infuriating.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I guess you missed some other moves.
Tapper is coming back from injury after only seeing 37 snaps last year and getting a sack in that limited time.
Possibly getting Gregory back
Signing Ealy who is his young careee has dominated at times.
Irving not being suspended for eight games
Price and Ross both not missing the majority of the season
Trading for Ward who has been a bust to this point
And then there's Armstrong

1. Tapper has never played an entire season and is an injury risk.
2. Gregory also has never completed an entire season and there is no depending on him when the pressure gets to him will he blow another drug test?
3. Ealy has bounced around the league after leaving Carolina, hasn't done anything after the SB.
4. Irving might be getting suspended based on the leagues DV guidelines.
5. Again, speculation that we are magically going to have good health.
6. So Ward who has been a bust so far is going to all of a sudden light the world on fire?
7. Armstrong is a rookie, be lucky if we get 1 sack from him.

All this and we are still undersized on the interior of the DL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Collins took over the 1-tech spot because Paea retired and Irving returned, he had to adjust and the defense had to adapt to use his skills well. He has good size, but its his quickness that makes him difficult to handle one-on-one, so Dallas started letting him use his quickness at the spot.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised since quickness for his size is Collins' greatest asset if Price is out there in obvious running situations, and we line up Irving and Collins together in more likely passing situations. If we end up finding a second starting end among the group that we have, Crawford could also end up rotating with that group. Jones, Ealy and Ward also are possibilities.

We certainly could have upgraded that run-defense role that Price will play but realize that we're talking about around 20 snaps per game compared to around 40 to 50 each for Collins and Irving at the DT spots. Again, the only real cog in the plan is Collins' foot injuries.

And the fact that the defense was getting gashed for 200 yards rushing. That throws a big monkey wrench in their "plans" too.

Personally, I could care less about "quickness" from my 1-tech. Power and technique is far more important. Command and hold up to double teams. Don't be moved. Dictate to the defense that they're "not running here."

It's crazy that they were hoping Vea would drop to pick #19, and then when he didn't, they decided to forego the position entirely. Doesn't make good sense to me.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I like most every other spot on the defense. I'm even excited to see what Xavier Woods can do if given the chance at free safety.

But this crap of ignoring the 1-tech (while the Eagles rush for 200 yards and dismantle you!) has got to stop!

Even if these ends and the pass rush come through, teams will then simply try to run the ball all over this defense.
Well good thing we upgraded the LB spot. With Lee by himself the run defense is decent. Now if he goes down we have some help

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well good thing we upgraded the LB spot. With Lee by himself the run defense is decent. Now if he goes down we have some help

Scary thing is, Sean Lee played in that game where they gave up 200 yards rushing to the Eagles.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's no appreciable reasonable reason why the OL can't or won't return to successful form. We have satisfied the most needful requirements to make it so in the offseason. If that 's not enough, then perhaps you're expecting more than is realistically feasonable. Let's be reasonable here.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Thank you.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
1. Tapper has never played an entire season and is an injury risk. Are you thinking he'll play less than 37 snaps?
2. Gregory also has never completed an entire season and there is no depending on him when the pressure gets to him will he blow another drug test? If he's reinstated are you thinking he'll see less than 0 snaps?
3. Ealy has bounced around the league after leaving Carolina, hasn't done anything after the SB.
4. Irving might be getting suspended based on the leagues DV guidelines.
5. Again, speculation that we are magically going to have good health.
6. So Ward who has been a bust so far is going to all of a sudden light the world on fire?
7. Armstrong is a rookie, be lucky if we get 1 sack from him.

All this and we are still undersized on the interior of the DL.
1. He's been in the league two seasons lol. Yes he's an injury risk, never said he wasnt. Doesnt mean anything for the point at habd though.
2. Again with this whole season thing? Who cares?
3. Maybe you dont know what bouncing around the league means? And he actually produced the season after the SB too. He's 26 and has been dominant at points in his career. Refute that. His dominance was a very short time ago.
4. No Irving isnt, keep up with the latest on his situation and youd know that.
5. Again they're new to the league and it's common for DL to deal with injuries early. Doesnt excuse the fact that we have a 99% chance of getting more than 150 snaps out of Price this season.
6. WHEN THE **** DID I SAY HE'D LIGHT THE WORLD ON FIRE!? SHOW ME? So the moves only matter if that player is going to "light the world on fire". You mentioned Armstrong in your initial post, is he going to "light the world on fire"? If not then why did you mention him?

Why did you mention Armstrong if you are going to disregard everything that I pointed out. He will likely have less of an impact than 4 of the 7 points I made.

We were undersized on the line last year too..... I guess you just arent understanding.

Last edited:

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Cowboys' D-line looks ready to return to dominant form
www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766527/cowboys-d-line-finally-looks-like-it-can-catch-up-to-its-past-success

Starting in 2011, the Cowboys made it a priority to rebuild their offensive line with first-round picks. Tyron Smith was followed by Travis Frederick in 2013 and Zack Martin in 2014. La'el Collins was a first-round talent but fell to an undrafted free agent. Last month, the Cowboys took Connor Williams in the second round and project him to be their starting left guard.

The defensive line has been built a little differently but with quality picks. Crawford was a third-rounder in 2012. Lawrence was a second-rounder in 2014. Taco Charlton was a first-round pick last year. Maliek Collins was a third-rounder in 2016.

The Cowboys have also picked up other high-round picks from other teams, such as Datone Jones (first round, Green Bay Packers 2010), Kony Ealy (second round, Carolina Panthers 2014). Dallas traded for Jihad Ward (second round, Oakland Raiders 2016)...

Perhaps come training camp the Cowboys will get another talented piece to the defensive front in Randy Gregory. He was a second-round pick in 2016 but has played in only two games the past two seasons because of suspension. He has filed for reinstatement to the NFL, and the Cowboys are not ready to give up on a talent that was projected to be a top-five pick if not for his off-field troubles...
Hopefully Taco will keep getting better, but the line does look good

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I don't think Lee was 100 percent. He kept trying to come back and play without proper healing.

Lee is never a 100%. I love the guy and I love the fact that he is a product of my alma mater, but you'd think that the senile fossil Marinelli would understand that you need to protect the guy by adding some beef on the line.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Honestly it was a shock to the mass majority of Cowboys fans.

On my other forums I was the absolute only person that favored Lawrence and stood up for him. 85% of posters said if he didnt have a good TC he should be cut before the season.

It was infuriating.
I was on the other forum too.
It's hilarious how quickly people turned on
him considering he ended 2015 on such a high note. Some thought he was a product of
Hardy getting double teamed.
Because that was making him abuse
RTs to the tune of 7 sacks in 8 games that year
along with consistently making plays in
the backfield against the run?

Terrancemcclain

Reaction score
Scary thing is, Sean Lee played in that game where they gave up 200 yards rushing to the Eagles.

I thought Lee was out for that game? Didn' t he leave the previous week against the falcons andonly return in the cowboys second game versus the giants? You right, though. The first eagles game was a terrible showing by the cowboys defense