Cowboys/Dak contract impasse

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Yet they still haven't seen the mental toughness from Dak that raises his team to a higher level when things aren't going well.
I like Dak and think he is great, but his history shows that he plays behind the Cowboys system, not in front of it. If things go well, he's awesome. Bu th when tough times come, he hasn't shown the ability to lead.
They should sign him- he's earned a payday. But there are still doubts as to his ability when times are tough.

He has brought the team back to win games more often than any single quarterback has in the amount of time he’s been in the NFL.

His numbers always step up in the times it matters most.

Outside of one three game stretch he was missing both Tyron and Zeke in his entire career he’s been Stellar.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yep consistency esp against tougher defenses would go a long way for Dak to get that expensive Franchise contract.
Destroying the Giants annually isn't top ten money for any QB......
I'm hoping of eating the crow BIG TIME......serve it Dak????

Im all in for eating Crow with this guy. The one thing that perplexes me is how the Dakota Sycophants accuse us of personally loathing Prescott; so does mean that we have this strange affection for Zeke when we hail him for being an elite top 3 rusher? Some of these guys go to far with the drama.....lack of critical thinking but no lack of estrogen with some of them

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You know what, for me at least, the time for worrying about this contract has passed. I'm all about the season now. If Dak and his folks want a short term deal, and still get major money, then just tag him. That will actually accomplish both goals. If Dak is willing to sign a long term deal, like the team is proposing, then pay him if he proves it. Give him the 35 if he proves he is the Dude who can be a Tom Brady or a Breezy. But do it after the season because it's time for Football now.

JMO

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im all in for eating Crow with this guy. The one thing that perplexes me is how the Dakota Sycophants accuse us of personally loathing Prescott; so does mean that we have this strange affection for Zeke when we hail him for being an elite top 3 rusher? Some of these guys go to far with the drama.....lack of critical thinking but no lack of estrogen with some of them

1. Paid by Dak's PR social media office....its the only explanation in today's most important internet market place.
2. Relatives of Dak's or Dak burning the midnight oil here with numerous accounts.

Reaction score
I think it depends on the unit of measurement. If you are measuring things against the standard of "best", then it's the only measuring stick that really counts.
I don't know.

If Dak struggles against NE (which I expect), should he be villified for it? We have already seen Rothlisberger fail. What if Wentz struggles too? Mayfield? Mahomes?

It's all relative. If all these other guys can move the ball and score points against NE but Dak can't, then the criticism may very well be justified. But if all these guys have off days? It could just be that NE's defense is just that darn good. It certainly looked like it the other day.

And if so, maybe Dak gets a pass on his bad day at Foxboro. At least to me he would. Just MO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know.

If Dak struggles against NE (which I expect), should he be villified for it? We have already seen Rothlisberger fail. What if Wentz struggles too? Mayfield? Mahomes?

It's all relative. If all these other guys can move the ball and score points against NE but Dak can't, then the criticism may very well be justified. But if all these guys have off days? It could just be that NE's defense is just that darn good. It certainly looked like it the other day.

And if so, maybe Dak gets a pass on his bad day at Foxboro. At least to me he would. Just MO

Well, I don't really see it as a good guy/bad guy thing. All I know is this, as an athlete, I never really cared about the wins but I have never forgotten the losses. You measure yourself against the best. Why else play the game? My point is, is it money or is it the game? Those are the two measuring sticks in question. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have to be money, by which the measure is taken. It can be measured in terms of the game.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Well, I don't really see it as a good guy/bad guy thing. All I know is this, as an athlete, I never really cared about the wins but I have never forgotten the losses. You measure yourself against the best. Why else play the game? My point is, is it money or is it the game? Those are the two measuring sticks in question. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have to be money, by which the measure is taken. It can be measured in terms of the game.

It's not an either/or proposition. It's about BOTH football and the money.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
How about this from the OP; Lop off year 7, add $2 mil to 2023 and make it 100% guaranteed. If they trust him as the franchise...this would probably get it done.

Of course, everyone would have to say a lot of prayers each night that he doesn't get hurt.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Yep consistency esp against tougher defenses would go a long way for Dak to get that expensive Franchise contract.
Destroying the Giants annually isn't top ten money for any QB......
I'm hoping of eating the crow BIG TIME......serve it Dak????

How about destroying the entire division annually?
All you can ask for is a chance.

Winning the division and getting into the postseason gives you that chance.

Anyone who watches the games knows Dak isn’t the reason we’ve lost any postseason games since 2016.

Jared Goff got dragged to a super bowl this past year while scoring 1 total touchdown and turning the ball over 4 times in 3 games.

Dak has 7 playoff TD and only 2 turnovers in his 3 career playoff games.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak's team should laugh an offer like that off the table. Those three backloaded years ... that's a joke, right?
Yea.

I mean I appreciate the OP's effort, but this is a wildly team-friendly deal. Why would Dak take less than half of the guarantees that Goff just got?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's not an either/or proposition. It's about BOTH football and the money.

I am aware of what the game is. In fact, if you look back at my posts on this, I am actually point this out. It's not just about money, necessarily. But the way you measure a player is not necessarily about money either. Thus, the measurement can be about measuring yourself against the best. That's not wrong and that's not unheard of. You are talking about money, I am talking about ways in which you can measure yourself.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
The "facts" are clear- the Cowboys have failed to excel under Dak to this point.

The "facts" are that little of what you have said here, bears any relationship to the facts. The Cowboys have been a consistent playoff team in large part because of Dak. In 2016 they had a wonderful season and then played a magnificent game against the Packers. Then in 2017, they lost their all world running back and still had a good season just missing the playoffs. Then last year they lost their all world wide receiver and fell precipitously. They got Cooper and went 10 and 2 from that point. Cooper was the number 1 receiver in the NFL over that time. So even without good coaching, Dak completely turned things around and got win and win. Then in the playoffs last year, he was stellar in game one. And when the defense was gassed in game 2 and was being pummeled, and Zeke was stopped, Dak still had Dallas in position at the end of a game they had no business even being in the hunt for, with a chance to tie. So literally all Dak has done for 3 years is come through big time. And now he finally has coaching, and just had the second perfect quarterback rating in a game in Cowboy's history.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Yea.

I mean I appreciate the OP's effort, but this is a wildly team-friendly deal. Why would Dak take less than half of the guarantees that Goff just got?

Goff was guaranteed $110M. Dak would be getting more.

"Abstract became reality Tuesday when the Rams announced they had agreed to terms with Goff on a four-year extension through the 2024 season. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but it is worth $134 million, with a record $110 million guaranteed, a person with knowledge of the situation said"

coult44

Reaction score
Great line “this is pure speculation “. Why are we debating, or how do we debate that?

RamziD

Reaction score
Yet they still haven't seen the mental toughness from Dak that raises his team to a higher level when things aren't going well.
I like Dak and think he is great, but his history shows that he plays behind the Cowboys system, not in front of it. If things go well, he's awesome. Bu th when tough times come, he hasn't shown the ability to lead.
They should sign him- he's earned a payday. But there are still doubts as to his ability when times are tough.

Are you...f-ing kidding me with that crap?

CB61

Reaction score
NOTE: The dollar figures in this post are pure speculation.

Apparently, the impasse in the negotiations between the Dallas Cowboys and the negotiating team for Dak Prescott is as much about the length of the contract as it is about money. The Cowboys want a 7 year deal, which would keep Dak in Dallas through the 2026 season - matching the length of Ezekiel Elliott's current contract commitment. Dak's team wants a 4 year extension,which would keep Dak undercontract through the 2023 season.

A 7 year deal would undoubtedly be in excess of $200M, but Dak's team of negotiators doesn't want to lock him in that long, prefering to get another bite at the negotiating apple in about 4 years, after which time starting salaries for QB's may have escalated even further.

If the Cowboys are going to get Dak Prescott to agree to a 7 year deal, they are likely going to have to escalate his salaries in years 5-7 to the point that his team is comfortable locking him in that long. For example, if the Cowboys match the Goff or Wentz deals for the first 4 years (avg $32M), then the out years will have to average more. That may be the root of the rumors that Dak is asking for $40M. Maybe his team is asking for $40M in 2026, not a $40M average. In any case, any longer term deal will necessarily average more than either the Goff or Wentz deals. That is the price the Cowboys will have to pay to get Dak to sign a longer term deal.

Example: If the Cowboys give Dak an average salary of $37M per season in years 5-7, and an average of $32M in years 1-4, the overall average contract value would be about $34M. Combined with his 2019 existing salary of $2M, that would make it an 8 year deal worth about $241M - an average of just over $30M per season. In the current market, that may be a bit low. An 8 year average value of $32M per season would be a 7 year, $254M extension.

This is pure speculation, but it seems reasonable to me that Dak's negotiating team will argue that any 7 year extension must average $32M per season over the entire 8 year life of the contract - including this year. A contract could look something like this:

7 year, $253.975M contract extension, $111.975M guaranteed, $50M signing Bonus spread out over 2019 & 2020. Dak receives a $30M signing bonus this year, and a $20M Restructure Bonus in March of 2020. (This doesn't include the $2.025M already committed to Dak for 2019. The Cowboys would also guarantee his 2019 salary, making the total guaranteed amount $114M.

Salary Cap Impact
2019 - $2.025M salary + $6M signing bonus (2019) = $8.025M Salary Cap hit
2020 - $11.975M salary + $6M SB (2019) + $4M Restructure Bonus (2020) = $21.975M Salary Cap hit
2021 - $24M SAL + $6M SB(2019) + $4M RB(2020) = $34M Salary Cap hit
2022 - $26M SAL + $6M SB(2019) + $4M RB(2020) = $36M Salary Cap hit
**** All Guaranteed money paid by 2022 *****
2023 - $28M SAL + $6M SB(2019) + $4M RB(2020) = $38M Salary Cap hit
2024 - $35M SAL + $4M RB(2020) = $39M Salary Cap hit
2025 - $39M SAL = $39M Salary Cap hit
2026 - $40M SAL = $40M Salary Cap hit

Cash outlay by year for Cowboys - Actual money paid to Dak
2019 - $32.025M = $2.025M Salary + $30M signing Bonus
2020 - $31.975M = $11.975M Salary + $20M Restructure Option Bonus
2021 - $24M
2022 - $26M
2023 - $28M
2024 - $35M
2025 - $39M
2026 - $40M
Total - $256M over 8 years = $32M per season

This will be reported as a 7 year, $254M extension, which is an average of $36.3M per season by the math-challenged morons in the press, and the Cowboys will be accused of setting the market. Jerry and Stephen will be accused of lying. But the actual average paid per season will be $32M per year, which is less than Russell Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger are getting.

If Dak's performance craters, he will never see the last $142M of the contract, making this effectively a 4 year, $114M deal - an average of $28.5M per season from 2019-2022. This is just slightly more than Kirk Cousins is getting in Minnesota, who guaranteed him $28M per season. Dak is already out-performing Kirk Cousins. Dak would average $35.5M Salary over the last 4 years of his deal, which by that time may be a bargain.

The Cowboys would have to take a $14M dead money CAP hit in 2023 if they cut him, but they'd actually save $24M on the Salary CAP. This is their out if Dak doesn't work out as a long-term solution.
Well I would think it would be easy for them to agree to more money in years five through seven because they could simply just cut him if they don't want him for that long or don't want to pay that money whatever but that would probably raise the guaranteed money to? There's a lot of variables to this probably ones we have never heard of and wil never hear of, we will get the details of a final contract but we won't get all the information that was going on in negotiations any where's near the truth anyway