Cowboys/Dak contract impasse

Blake

Reaction score
I bet you were a Quincy supporter, seems like that's about how well you know QB's.....

Actually he equates Dak Prescott's level of play to Quincy Carter.

46 year old inbred dummy making such a comparison should tell us something about where his real bias lies, but we're not allowed to state the obvious.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll have some crow as well. Thing is you can't keep resetting the market every time somebody comes up for contract talks. At some point you get to $0 and have to cut, release, or trade people you want to keep.

You gotta have room to bring in talented players or you're putting someone else's retreads on your Lambro. Safe bet is these long term high dollar deals are Jerry's immediate pursuit of a ring. By 2021 he'll have new toys he wants to keep and wheel and deal to dump the old ones.
I recall a post by @Bobhaze a couple of weeks ago about how the Cowboys should give contracts in the context of the cap - rotate the older players out before they lose their peak performance, or something to that effect.
I read a story not long ago about how a player's peak performance is relative also to their position.
The upshot was that Bill Belichick is the master at deciding when to cut bait.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why don't they meet in the middle with 5 + 1 option year? Doesn't seem like rocket science but guess it is. LOL
That's what it will come to I think, or some variation thereof. Maybe guaranteed money spread out a little heavier on the front end instead of the back end. And, higher payoffs on the incentives.

catiii

Reaction score
Dak is only going to get better. As far as the length of the contract if it's a sticking point, JUST GO LONG and things will be fine! :cool:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is only going to get better. As far as the length of the contract if it's a sticking point, JUST GO LONG and things will be fine! :cool:
He certainly has responded to the expanded playbook and spread offense. I think he like the 12 Personnel pkg.

Ron12

Reaction score
That's what it will come to I think, or some variation thereof. Maybe guaranteed money spread out a little heavier on the front end instead of the back end. And, higher payoffs on the incentives.
Don't know but heard on Dallas Cowboys .com Dak wants 4 years & JJ wants 7 years .

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know but heard on Dallas Cowboys .com Dak wants 4 years & JJ wants 7 years .
Wouldn't surprise me, but the Cowboys like those low guaranteed percentages or making it heavy on the back side for signing guarantees. Maybe Dak's agent wants it more front loaded.

Ron12

Reaction score
All this crap is crazy to me. Who cares if it's 4 years, 7 years, 23 years? If you're getting a contract to pay you 200 million, does it matter?
You really don't know anything about the Salary Cap it makes a Big difference wow I hope you're kidding .

Ron12

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me, but the Cowboys like those low guaranteed percentages or making it heavy on the back side for signing guarantees. Maybe Dak's agent wants it more front loaded.
Agree plus when his contract is up he will be only 30 instead of 32 could have something to do with their thinking .

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All this crap is crazy to me. Who cares if it's 4 years, 7 years, 23 years? If you're getting a contract to pay you 200 million, does it matter?
It would seem that way at the outset, but it matters to the team about how to keep it under the cap and have a way to restructure it later when the cap gets in the way - that, or cut some player loose to save the team. Several years ago, the Cowboys got in serious cap hell and had to fight their way out with some tough decisions.

Fire407

Reaction score
People (including Dak's representatives) are basing a lot of these numbers on Goff's deal. The argument from a lot of the detractors is that Goff has led his team to a Super Bowl and Dak hasn't. Here's a little tidbit about Goff that a lot of people are ignoring:

Goff has thrown 7 TDs in his last 8 games (yes that includes the playoffs and Super Bowl) clearly demonstrating that Goff needs just as many (if not more) playmakers than Dak does to succeed (which has been a huge criticism of Dak by the steadfast mouthbreathers).

I haven't been a Dak backer or a Dak basher throughout any of this process. Have I had my doubts? Absolutely. My stance from the begin has been "prove it". I looked past his phenomenal rookie season as a bit a fluke, to be honest, and I've evaluated more on what he's done since then.

His second season was NOT encouraging, to be honest. He led this team to a string of quarters of offensive ineptitude that had never been seen in the history of this franchise. The beginning of last season was more of the same (and all the Zeke slobberers looked silly becasue Zeke made ZERO difference in a horrible start to the season).

Then he was given a legitimate weapon and (it would be a major understatement to say) things started to click. All this under the vanilla like, predictable guise of Linehan's turd play calling. Dak's performance against Seattle (especially that clutch run to get a first down) is the stuff that legends are made of. The Rams (plus the ineptitude of the defense and Linehan's inability to adjust when Zeke was shut down) killed a pretty special season for, not only the team and the fan base but, a QB that was on a roll. And a damned good one.

I'm no longer on the fence about Prescott. The Giants game didn't tip the scales, per se, but it did confirm (to me) that my leanings toward Prescott being the guy are correct. Get the deal done. This kid is the genuine article.
Well you cherry picked Goff’s stats. Goff also had a perfect game last year against the Vikings and he threw for 5 TDS and 60 more yards than Dak. Goff struggled when his favorite receiver Cooper Kupp went down. Having said that, Jerry should pay Dak a little bit more guaranteed money than Goff. Stephen said that they wouldn’t reset the market with their star players, but clearly they will. Jerry wants Dak to give a hometown discount, but i’m sure Dak and his agent won’t. Every day Jerry waits the more it’s going to cost him.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Well you cherry picked Goff’s stats. Goff also had a perfect game last year against the Vikings and he threw for 5 TDS and 60 more yards than Dak. Goff struggled when his favorite receiver Cooper Kupp went down. Having said that, Jerry should pay Dak a little bit more guaranteed money than Goff. Stephen said that they wouldn’t reset the market with their star players, but clearly they will. Jerry wants Dak to give a hometown discount, but i’m sure Dak and his agent won’t. Every day Jerry waits the more it’s going to cost him.
If anyone cherry picked a stat it would be you, my friend. You gave an outlier as an argument. I gave a half a season's worth of games.

In the end Dak is going to get paid.

Flamma

Reaction score
You really don't know anything about the Salary Cap it makes a Big difference wow I hope you're kidding .

Yeah I seemed to have been misunderstood. I meant, if someone were to offer me a 200 million dollar contract, I'm not going to get picky. I'm good.

superonyx

Reaction score
I HAVE watched the last 4 seasons. From being shielded by the best o-line in the NFL, to having Zeke to draw the attention of the defenses, Dak has steadily played well but not able to lead the Cowboys through the tough times.
Hence the losses each year that keep the Cowboys from being elite.
But at this point he should be the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. He's been there for 4 years and has not cost them games. He knows the system and protects the ball. He is a momentum driven player that plays well when the Cowboys have the momentum.
And Kellen Moore will keep his vision simple, so that he can excel.
But when times get tough- like against the Patriots, for example- will he have the mental toughness to stare down Belichick's defense and co tune to any well?
Wow. You just doubled down on what has to be the dumbest post I have ever read on this forum.

It’s pretty bad when you take the #1 strength EVERYONE with half of a brain agrees on and claims it’s his biggest weakness.

CB61

Reaction score
It's not just that. The salary numbers in the early years are low because of the signing bonus. And Dak will want the outer year salaries to be market rate after the initial signing bonus is accounted

Yeah I can say that my point was the Cowboys could just agree to it knowing they could just cut him at any time any way is the point I was trying to make so they might as well just agree to it and get it done. That's one thing that a lot of the articles that have been written by Sports writers are saying it's not fair because the team can cut them anytime they want but players can't hold out or they are criticized for doing so