Cowboys & Dak Prescott are expected to have deal done before free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Sharing this:

Basically the truth.

“The cowboys can save 34m in cap if they cut Dak before mid March.

No one will trade for a guy who wants 60m a year and can't win a playoff game.

Trey Lance has one year (2024) left on his contract with no 5th year option

Dallas best course is to

1. ⁠Cut Dak, draft OL in the first, RB/WR in 2nd, and other skill positions.
2. ⁠Start trey for the last year of his contract. After the year you either have a serviceable 24 year old rookie with potential trade value or a high draft pick.
3. ⁠In the scenario trey is unsericeable, expend first round capital in the 2025 draft for a QB. The cowboys haven't spent a first on a QB since Aikman

This is the way forward”

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"$60 million cap hit in 2024, a no-tag & no-trade clause"

i expect the front office to be a lot more clever than i when it comes to contract negotiations BUT, this just sounds stupid to set up a contract in this fashion.

And for those who say, "this is the market", then the original extension should not have happened.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Are there any incentive clauses, like, get to the playoffs $50 win a play off game $500,000, go to the NFCCG $1,000,000, SB $5,000,000
The game would be much better if ALL contracts were incentive based. This team might actually have shown up to play if there were major incentives involved. But since that isn't how things work, we get what we saw - a bunch of lazy slackers who were looking forward to the off season

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Next years schedule is tough.

I'd offer Dak a much lower cap friendly deal. If he doesn't take it, and performs poorly next year, he's toast..

His best move is to sit out a while and "seek" a trade. Hoping someone will offer him better long deal.
No way he survives the AFC North and an upgraded NFC East.
He is a road-kill or DOA if he is still on the team?
P.S. Be nice to your local Deer (if you have them) as it could be Dakko....

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The game would be much better if ALL contracts were incentive based. This team might actually have shown up to play if there were major incentives involved. But since that isn't how things work, we get what we saw - a bunch of lazy slackers who were looking forward to the off season
Agreed, 90% of the only ones that play balls to the wall football are back-ups trying to win a starting spot, players trying to up their value for next year's contract, trade value or playing to raise their value in FA . Although Dak played significantly better this year (2023) than last, he still can't get passed the deer in the headlight mentality in big games. Show me you can do that, then let's talk about big money and contract stability.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
They were always going to get a deal done. It was fun to talk about the what ifs, but all Jerry cares about is being relevant and 4 does that for him. Now how it’s structured will be important and I think they will push for an out somewhere in it. JMO

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Agreed, 90% of the only ones that play balls to the wall football are back-ups trying to win a starting spot, players trying to up their value for next year's contract, trade value or playing to raise their value in FA . Although Dak played significantly better this year (2023) than last, he still can't get passed the deer in the headlight mentality in big games. Show me you can do that, then let's talk about big money and contract stability.
Did he? Really? He beat up on bad teams and sucked against good ones. That's been his M.O. his entire career. And yes, he can always be counted on to suck balls in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.