Cowboys decade-long track record of under-investing in team suggests that Jones family is not in it

rambo2

Reaction score
They drafted those players. Every team drafts players. Not every team goes out and looks to add talent outside of the draft. Those that do have an advantage. Or should I say, a possible advantage.
You don't get it.

yunkie1970

Reaction score
People should stop buying beer and hotdogs for a home game as a sign to Jerry .bet that Will get his atención! Fans should unit against greedy Jones

birdwells1

Reaction score
Not what I said.

But cash spend and cap hit aren't the same.

That is the fundamental component of how teams manage the cap.
This is what people don't get, if you spend more cash on signing bonuses it lowers your cap hit allowing you to be able to sign premium free agents (LOL). The Eagles signed Hurts (5y 250m), Brown (3y96m) and Smith (3y75m) and they'll only count 33 million against the salary cap in 2024.

rambo2

Reaction score
If you are a Cowboys fan and we haven't been to the NFCCG in 29 years, how can you be pro Jerry? Players come and go, the Joneses are the constant.
It's because they have made the current team good and are a contender. I don't care that he was stupid with Roy Williams over a decade ago. I care about what they are doing today.

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't get it.
Actually you don't get it. It's because you are a massive homer that struggles to criticize the franchise. You're wired to believe what they are doing is always the right thing.

Every team signs some of their own players. The Eagles, our divisional rival, have paid D Smith, L Dickerson, J Hurts all big contracts and they were guys they drafted. They extended Lane Johnson multiple times, another draft pick of theirs. But they also go outside and supplement their roster with FAs and trades. They work the cap better than us.

It's hilarious that some of you are so Cowboys crazy that you'll even argue against pretty clear data. In this case, the Cowboys are in the bottom third of the league over the last decade in terms of actual cash spent on their roster. It's not hard to see why that's the case - post Brandon Carr contract, they have largely sat out FA, instead signing cheaper, bargain level players.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't even know what this means. The Cowboys spend up to the CAP or close to it in most years. Whether they pay cash up front or spread it out over years is kind of irrelevant. We know that Cowboys do not sign top tier free agents. This is no surprise to anyone on this forum. But, if that is true, and the Cowboys are still close to the CAP, then they must be spending the money on their own players. This has been my beef. They will overpay their own free agents, after over-hyping them for years, but they won't pay for free agents on the market. And no one is suggesting they sign 10 guys every off-season. Just one or two to fill in gaps.

We could spend a lot of time rehashing all the contract mistakes Jerry has made the last 10 years but we all know the frustration.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't even know what this means. The Cowboys spend up to the CAP or close to it in most years. Whether they pay cash up front or spread it out over years is kind of irrelevant. We know that Cowboys do not sign top tier free agents. This is no surprise to anyone on this forum. But, if that is true, and the Cowboys are still close to the CAP, then they must be spending the money on their own players. This has been my beef. They will overpay their own free agents, after over-hyping them for years, but they won't pay for free agents on the market. And no one is suggesting they sign 10 guys every off-season. Just one or two to fill in gaps.

We could spend a lot of time rehashing all the contract mistakes Jerry has made the last 10 years but we all know the frustration.
You have it backwards. Cash is more important than the accounting tricks used to manipulate the cap.

Cash spent is what was literally spent on the roster. How you account for that cash spent on the cap is simply numbers moving, etc.

Creeper

Reaction score
You have it backwards. Cash is more important than the accounting tricks used to manipulate the cap.

Cash spent is what was literally spent on the roster. How you account for that cash spent on the cap is simply numbers moving, etc.
Yes, I understand that. But my point is that the CAP is a reflection of money paid to players. Over 10 years, as this article claims to cover, the money spent per year, should be close to the CAP level spending for the team in question. The process does not create or destroy spending. If you are up against the CAP every year then you are spending the maximum allowed over time.

So, as I posted, we know Jerry has overpaid some players on his team in the past. Zeke, Dak, Michael Gallup etc. Where he has not spent $ is on tier 1 free agents. And yet, going into this year the Cowboys were sitting with very little money against the CAP. Dak's $59 million CAP number was not the result of Dak getting $59 million this year. It was from the money Jerry gave Dak up front back in 2021. Now they have about $28 million in CAP room which I am sure Jerry would like to carry over so he can afford to pay Dak, CeeDee and Micah in 2025. And on that point, when or if, Jerry extends Dak, CeeDee and Micah he will undoubtedly pay them huge bonuses up front which will be reflected in the cash spend for that year he pays them, probably 2025, while minimizing their CAP impact. It will look like Jerry outspent most other NFL teams, maybe all, without having spent a nickel on free agency.

Regardless, the issue is not that Jerry does not pay his own players. He has shown a willingness to overpay some of his own players at the expense of others. The lone exception may have been Amari Cooper. He could have restructured Cooper's deal to free CAP space but he chose instead to trade him for a 5th round pick.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I read the article and I have great difficulty believing it. Quite frankly, my understanding of the CBA tells me that what the article is saying is outright illegal. At a minimum, if the cowboys consistently spent way less than the cap, they should have a ridiculous amount of rollover cap room . . . which they don't.

Overall, I think that the Cowboys spend the same as everyone else. They just have a tendency to overpay their own draft picks which limits them in other ways.

If you want to call Jerry cheap, its on coaching. Its pretty clear he is only keeping Mike around because he didn't want to pay two coaches this year. I kind of think some of the Garrett stuff was Jerry being cheap.