Cowboys decade-long track record of under-investing in team suggests that Jones family is not in it

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, I understand that. But my point is that the CAP is a reflection of money paid to players. Over 10 years, as this article claims to cover, the money spent per year, should be close to the CAP level spending for the team in question. The process does not create or destroy spending. If you are up against the CAP every year then you are spending the maximum allowed over time.

So, as I posted, we know Jerry has overpaid some players on his team in the past. Zeke, Dak, Michael Gallup etc. Where he has not spent $ is on tier 1 free agents. And yet, going into this year the Cowboys were sitting with very little money against the CAP. Dak's $59 million CAP number was not the result of Dak getting $59 million this year. It was from the money Jerry gave Dak up front back in 2021. Now they have about $28 million in CAP room which I am sure Jerry would like to carry over so he can afford to pay Dak, CeeDee and Micah in 2025. And on that point, when or if, Jerry extends Dak, CeeDee and Micah he will undoubtedly pay them huge bonuses up front which will be reflected in the cash spend for that year he pays them, probably 2025, while minimizing their CAP impact. It will look like Jerry outspent most other NFL teams, maybe all, without having spent a nickel on free agency.

Regardless, the issue is not that Jerry does not pay his own players. He has shown a willingness to overpay some of his own players at the expense of others. The lone exception may have been Amari Cooper. He could have restructured Cooper's deal to free CAP space but he chose instead to trade him for a 5th round pick.
But at the end of the day cash spent is cash spent. And the Cowboys are in the bottom third of the NFL over that ten year period which tells you they have invested less in their roster than other teams.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jerry is quoted as saying, "There's nobody that could ____ing come in here (and be a better GM)"

Does Jerry even understand the duties and responsibilities of a GM?

Every GM over the past 27 years whose team went to a conference championship game at least once is a better GM than Jerry Jones. That would be 27 GM's for the remaining 31 teams.

He once also said that 500 coaches could come in a win a Super Bowl with the early 90's team. He said that publicly.

There are 5000 other people that could come in a be a better GM than Jerry Jones. You could include every personnel executive above assistant director for every sports franchise, every NFL and college Head Coach or Coordinator, every retired NFL player with a brain, and even a couple guys on this board.

However, he could be a great owner......if he fired his current GM.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Jerruh is the ultimate snake oil salesman. He's damn good at it and we've all been buying it from him for years. Probably one of the best businessman in all of sports. Don't mistake that with him being one of the worst GM's in all of sports.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Veterans being brought in by Jerry Jones but with a full staff:

Defensive Head Coach - Mike Zimmer

Ezekiel Elliott
Eric Kendricks
Jordan Phillips
Carl Lawson
Linval Joseph

Dalvin Cook coming in today for a real look.

Sorry folks, that is fully paying attention after CD Lamb's new contract.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Veterans being brought in by Jerry Jones but with a full staff:

Defensive Head Coach - Mike Zimmer

Ezekiel Elliott
Eric Kendricks
Jordan Phillips
Carl Lawson
Linval Joseph

Dalvin Cook coming in today for a real look.

Sorry folks, that is fully paying attention after CD Lamb's new contract.
The Cowboys lost key players in the offseason like LB Leighton Vander Esch, CB Stephon Gilmore, defensive ends Dorance Armstrong and Dante Fowler Jr., and DT Johnathan Hankins.

https://insidethestar.com/difficult...n-my-cowboys-final-roster-prediction-defense/

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, we manage the cap responsibly while the rest of the league is living on credit cards. Their cash spend is more b/c they borrow from future years more often.

But the real question is....... what works best? Our way of managing the cap is not resulting in super bowl appearences which is the bar for most GMs who don't also own the team. This is a great case for seperation of powers between managing football operations and ownership. Teams need a guy who knows when to roll the dice b/c his job depends on success.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lol. You anti Jerry crybaby guys crack me up.
Osa Odighizuwa, Mazi Smith, Linval Joseph, Jordan Phillips, Chauncey Golston, Justin Rogers

I didn’t expect to list six defensive tackles on the roster, but Zimmer wants to get bigger in the interior of the defense, and he needs bodies for that rotation.

The starters will be Osa Odighizuwa and Mazi Smith, with the rest of the crew rotating in often. Linval Joseph and Jordan Phillips will team up on short yardage downs, as well as Justin Rogers.

Chauncey Golston possesses the flexibility the Cowboys crave in their players. He has always been a tweener, playing inside and outside. It appears Zimmer wants Golston to focus on 3-tech defensive tackle in his system, and Golston is ready to answer the call.

https://insidethestar.com/difficult...n-my-cowboys-final-roster-prediction-defense/

Here and now this still looks football smart, to this fan.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Jerry Loves Contract Years​

Not only is Jerry Jones letting Dak Prescott play on the final year of his deal, Mike McCarthy is also coaching for his job.

After the Cowboys lost their last preseason game against the Chargers on Saturday, Jones was asked about players and coaches doing their job with the backs against the wall.

“Absolutely, I do. I really do [believe you get people’s best with their backs against the wall],” Jones said after Dallas’ preseason finale against the Chargers on Saturday.

“There’s no question in my mind that angst, pressure, competing will bring out the best in this game from coaches and players,” Jones said. “This game has to have some extra [fire] over the guys that you’re in front of [on the field]. That’s why I’m kind of amazed at someone talking about the job they’re doing without a contract. Blows my mind.”

Sydla

Reaction score
The Jerry homers are what cracks me up.

It's all very simple.

Jerry has had full control/responsibility over all aspects of the team - the draft, FA, trades, scouting, front office, coaching hires and staff hires for over a quarter century. In that period where he's had complete control, the Cowboys have won 5 playoff games. Five. That's it. Haven't sniffed a NFCCG or a SB in that time frame. They are one of like 5 teams that hasn't played in a conference champ game over that 25 year period.

It takes a special kind of homerism to sit here and defend Jerry, or claim he's done a great job, or whine that people are too critical of Jerry.

31 teams (well maybe 30, the Bengals seem to be as silly as us), would have fired the guy in charge of the draft, FA, scouting, trades, front office staffing, coaching hires, etc. A LONG time ago with these results.

Jerry claiming he's the best or only guy who could run the football side of this franchise is so utterly laughable and stupid I have to assume he was a bottle deep in JW Blue when he said it.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
The Jerry homers are what cracks me up.

It's all very simple.

Jerry has had full control/responsibility over all aspects of the team - the draft, FA, trades, scouting, front office, coaching hires and staff hires for over a quarter century. In that period where he's had complete control, the Cowboys have won 5 playoff games. Five. That's it. Haven't sniffed a NFCCG or a SB in that time frame. They are one of like 5 teams that hasn't played in a conference champ game over that 25 year period.

It takes a special kind of homerism to sit here and defend Jerry, or claim he's done a great job, or whine that people are too critical of Jerry.

31 teams (well maybe 30, the Bengals seem to be as silly as us), would have fired the guy in charge of the draft, FA, scouting, trades, front office staffing, coaching hires, etc. A LONG time ago with these results.

Jerry claiming he's the best or only guy who could run the football side of this franchise is so utterly laughable and stupid I have to assume he was a bottle deep in JW Blue when he said it.
When your job is never on the line you get what we’ve witnessed for 25 years. You’re just not hungry enough to push for a little more. You live content in the status quo.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The Cowboys have become like McDonald's. Both are extremely popular and profitable and they don't have to be the best to succeed, just be good enough, be consistent enough and a lot of marketing. Both strive to improve, but within their own established philosophies, but don't want to take many big swings because it might be detrimental to profits on misses. In this analogy, I guess Zeke is the McRib, some will love it and some will hate it........lol