Twitter: Cowboys deemed cheap spenders by NFLPA

Dre11

Reaction score
Brady is an exception to the rule and he has proven that before he was available last offseason. What he did is normal for him.

Sure, but as I said, you never know.

Dre11

Reaction score
On the guys that matter? Lawrence had to hold off on his surgery to get a deal done after being franchise tagged. Zeke had to go to Cabo to get a deal done.

The only guys who didn't have to do anything were Collins and Jaylon and thus far they are a GREAT return on investment....one is completely lost and the other hasn't even played a game since getting his contract.

Cowboys are using Dak's kindness in their favor. They know Dak would NEVER sit out like Zeke did or hold off on a surgery like Lawrence did. They know they can tag and play hardball with Dak because at the end of the day he's going to be out there game 1.

They also try to use the cowboys brand as a bargaining chip.

Praxit

Reaction score
..after 25 years of nothing and over spending on numerous players. I dont blame the Jones for pinching the pocket. Obviously, ... they are playing all options.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Cowboys are cheap, they won't pay Dak... Also, the Chiefs are cheap they paid Mahomes half a BILL!!!!!!!! ok????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sydla

Reaction score
Amazing how many people see this and don't really understand what it means.

No, it doesn't mean the Cowboys can spend a lot more to sign Dak and spend on big time FAs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's why looking at this can be misleading. A lot of this is based on timing, etc.

Let's say that I am looking at a window from 2018-2020.

In 2017, I paid my QB a $100 million contract with a $60 million signing bonus and annual salaries of $10M in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.

In 2018, another team paid their QB a $70 million contract with a $20 million signing bonus and then annual salaries of $10 million in 2018, 2019, 2020 and then $20 million in 2021.

In looking at "cash spent" between 2018-2020, I'd look cheap because I would have only spent $30 million cash on my QB while the other team spent $50 million cash over that period. But who actually paid more cash for their player? I did.

Creeper

Reaction score

This is laughable, and the NFLPA is meddling in the Dak contract business. Is Zeke's contract cheap? Demarcus Lawrence's? Jaylon's? Coopers? Tryone Crawford's?

If the Cowboys are so cheap then how is it they are up against the salary cap?

I am growing pretty sick of all these idiots saying "just pay Dak what he wants" without knowing what he wants? They can all just bugger off. Last year, and earlier this year we heard Dak wants a shorter contract. Fine, but if he is only going to sign for 3 years then there is no way he deserves or should get Patrick Mahomes money, not even in the neighborhood. Mahomes' contract averages $45 million a year OVER 10 YEARS! 7 years from now $45 million is going to seem like a bargain. But this year and next, and probably for another year after that, $45 million is going be a lot of money for Dak or for Mahomes. Majomes' 2021 CAP impact is $21 million. That would not be possible on a 3 or 4 years contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is laughable, and the NFLPA is meddling in the Dak contract business. Is Zeke's contract cheap? Demarcus Lawrence's? Jaylon's? Coopers? Tryone Crawford's?

If the Cowboys are so cheap then how is it they are up against the salary cap?

I am growing pretty sick of all these idiots saying "just pay Dak what he wants" without knowing what he wants? They can all just bugger off. Last year, and earlier this year we heard Dak wants a shorter contract. Fine, but if he is only going to sign for 3 years then there is no way he deserves or should get Patrick Mahomes money, not even in the neighborhood. Mahomes' contract averages $45 million a year OVER 10 YEARS! 7 years from now $45 million is going to seem like a bargain. But this year and next, and probably for another year after that, $45 million is going be a lot of money for Dak or for Mahomes. Majomes' 2021 CAP impact is $21 million. That would not be possible on a 3 or 4 years contract.
Chiefs handed Mahomes a blank check. That deal is going to get structured so much.

Dre11

Reaction score
Probably so. It would make sense in negotiations to do so.

Stephen has said this.

The Cowboys want to get those deals finalized without “maxing out” each player.

”If we can talk them into not maxing out, doing well, but not maxed, that allows us to have other good football players around them,” Jones said during the team’s annual golf outing for sponsors at Cowboys Golf Club. “And we all know what happens, you look at the TV booths and look at what these players do off the field. If we can put Super Bowl rings on these guys, they’ll be legends around this area for many, many, many years to come.

”What they may give up a little bit in their contract, they should be able to invest in being a Cowboy and making our teams better.”

irving

Reaction score
Dallas was mediocre long before Dak joined the team and probably will be mediocre after he leaves the team.