Cowboys Defensive Tackles PFF Run Defense ranks are as follows after 2 games

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why it’s so hard to find a middle tier defensive tackle.

I mean damn. Give me somebody in the 50s.

I also expect Osa to suck against the run because he’s going to want sacks so he gets paid
He's also 280-285 pounds. That works at DT if you are Aaron Donald and can easily slip blocks, but against the run, it's hard to hold up against guys that outweigh you by 20-50 pounds.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Strange that they couldn't trade him. Maybe if Stephen became the GM for another team then Jerry would be able to trade him there.

Amari Cooper was traded for a 5th. Dallas swapped a 6th for a 7th and Phillips. GMs have to be licking their chops when the caller ID has a Dallas area code.
I’m trying to think of a trade Jerry actually got the better deal.

starfan1

Reaction score

wow I knew they were bad but this is worse than I imagined. But they wont take the brunt of the blame. And they let Rogers walk. and i get we dont know if he was going to be any good. We do know these arent

Iago33

Reaction score
We knew the Cowboys DT rotation was going to be awful this year. We knew it was awful last year and it got worse this year.

I went back and looked at the Saints rushing game against Dallas and here are some stats. Do what you want with them.

The Saints rushed 39 times for 190 yards for an average of 4.9 yards per rush. Three of those rushes were kneel downs at the end of the game or the rush totals would be 36 for 193 or 5.4 yards per carry.

They rushed 19 times to the left for 115 yards or 6 yards per carry. They rushed up the middle 5 times for 23 yards or 4.6 yards per carry (not including the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game.) They ran 12 times to the right for an average of 4.6 yards.

The longest run was 15 yards. They have 5 runs of 10 yards or more, 4 were to the left. 1 was to the right and that was in the 4th quarter when Dallas had some scrubs in.

Of the 36 rushing attempts only 2 gains 0 or negative yards. There was only 1 negative run of -2 yards and that happened in the 4th quarter. The Saints had only 2 negative plays all day. including a 1 yard sack by Golston.

If does not look significant but If I recall a game last year where Dallas gave up over 200 yards rushing, a large percentage of it was to the left. That seems to be where the problem is.

So while our DTs are pretty awful against the run, I think the problem is bigger than just that. For whatever reason we seem to be more vulnerable on the left side. What I did not look at is who was lined up on the left DE. It seemed like they ran there whether it was Kneeland or Lawrence but I do not have the data for that analysis.
Run to the left—is that our left side or the offense’s left?

shabazz

Reaction score
Being the eternal optimist, I would normally point out that we have nowhere to go but UP......however we are ranked 30th in points allowed so theres the chance we fall a bit lower after the Ravens game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t pay much attention to rankings, but Osa has been disappointing. I thought he was going to be a great player, but he hasn’t been consistent and disappears. He showed a lot of promise his first couple of years, but has fallen off. We just can’t seem to hit big with players on the DL.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We knew the Cowboys DT rotation was going to be awful this year. We knew it was awful last year and it got worse this year.

I went back and looked at the Saints rushing game against Dallas and here are some stats. Do what you want with them.

The Saints rushed 39 times for 190 yards for an average of 4.9 yards per rush. Three of those rushes were kneel downs at the end of the game or the rush totals would be 36 for 193 or 5.4 yards per carry.

They rushed 19 times to the left for 115 yards or 6 yards per carry. They rushed up the middle 5 times for 23 yards or 4.6 yards per carry (not including the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game.) They ran 12 times to the right for an average of 4.6 yards.

The longest run was 15 yards. They have 5 runs of 10 yards or more, 4 were to the left. 1 was to the right and that was in the 4th quarter when Dallas had some scrubs in.

Of the 36 rushing attempts only 2 gains 0 or negative yards. There was only 1 negative run of -2 yards and that happened in the 4th quarter. The Saints had only 2 negative plays all day. including a 1 yard sack by Golston.

If does not look significant but If I recall a game last year where Dallas gave up over 200 yards rushing, a large percentage of it was to the left. That seems to be where the problem is.

So while our DTs are pretty awful against the run, I think the problem is bigger than just that. For whatever reason we seem to be more vulnerable on the left side. What I did not look at is who was lined up on the left DE. It seemed like they ran there whether it was Kneeland or Lawrence but I do not have the data for that analysis.
@Creeper , when you say "runs to the Left side", are you referring to our defense's Left side or the Saints' Left side (which would make it our defense's Right side)?

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oddly this is where, Hill, the bust of a pick a few years ago is felt. Someone like him should be a main contributor to our defense right now but he is out of the league (I think). Major Major Whiff.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Stupid front office just can't see what is right in front of their faces. Maybe in another 5 or so years they will finally address the obvious issue...Rinse, repeat...
They tried to address the issue. They’re just not good at picking DTs. It’s bizarre because as good as they are at picking early round OL, they’re just as bad at picking DT.

Mazi
Jordan Phillips
linval joseph

They keep trying. It just doesn’t work. Phillips played well last year for Buffalo and Joseph should be able to occupy blocks with his size. Mazi is still hurting from no OTA

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

If this team comes out and beats the ravens. That tells me we should not lose another game all year. Because something drastically has to change to win this game. Which means we have the personnel we just don’t have the desire.

Jarntt

Reaction score
They tried to address the issue. They’re just not good at picking DTs. It’s bizarre because as good as they are at picking early round OL, they’re just as bad at picking DT.

Mazi
Jordan Phillips
linval joseph

They keep trying. It just doesn’t work. Phillips played well last year for Buffalo and Joseph should be able to occupy blocks with his size. Mazi is still hurting from no OTA
No, they did not try or if they thought they did, then they are complete idiots if they expected what they did this offseason would help. They signed a vet minimum FA who hasn't been good for a couple years and they traded for a vet minimum guy that was going to be cut and they used a 7th round draft pick on a guy they didn't keep (I would have). This is what our supposed experts in the front office did after watching last years playoff game and several other disasters that we had trying to stop the run in big spots. That is not trying to solve what everyone has known has been one of our biggest problems for years and absolutely played a big role in our typical one and done last season. Every year there are good players available and every year we pass on them and sign vet minimum guys and act surprised when they play like vet minimum guys