Cowboys Defensive Tackles PFF Run Defense ranks are as follows after 2 games

kskboys

Reaction score
If this team comes out and beats the ravens. That tells me we should not lose another game all year. Because something drastically has to change to win this game. Which means we have the personnel we just don’t have the desire.
STOP. We do not have the personnel, that's media blather. Our DT's suck. The only one who is any good is Osa, and he's a rotational type.

Why in the world is it so hard to see that we lack talent at DT? Honestly, it's blatantly obvious, why are people trying to make it about something else?

kskboys

Reaction score
The saints were kick back or trapping him when they ran to his side. Only so much you can do as a player about that, it’s a scheme adjustment that needed to happen, such as moving the LB over the DE should solve that particular issue.
It wouldn't. We have way too big of a talent problem at DT, and you can't scheme that away. Our pass rush might solve the problem against the idiot QB's like Peepeeslap, but good QB's will abuse us.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
We knew going into last offseason that we needed to get better at DT and better at RB. We did neither and expect better results lol.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
STOP. We do not have the personnel, that's media blather. Our DT's suck. The only one who is any good is Osa, and he's a rotational type.

Why in the world is it so hard to see that we lack talent at DT? Honestly, it's blatantly obvious, why are people trying to make it about something else?
I was just trying to hold my head up a little bit lol

lopey

Reaction score
We knew the Cowboys DT rotation was going to be awful this year. We knew it was awful last year and it got worse this year.

I went back and looked at the Saints rushing game against Dallas and here are some stats. Do what you want with them.

The Saints rushed 39 times for 190 yards for an average of 4.9 yards per rush. Three of those rushes were kneel downs at the end of the game or the rush totals would be 36 for 193 or 5.4 yards per carry.

They rushed 19 times to the left for 115 yards or 6 yards per carry. They rushed up the middle 5 times for 23 yards or 4.6 yards per carry (not including the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game.) They ran 12 times to the right for an average of 4.6 yards.

The longest run was 15 yards. They have 5 runs of 10 yards or more, 4 were to the left. 1 was to the right and that was in the 4th quarter when Dallas had some scrubs in.

Of the 36 rushing attempts only 2 gains 0 or negative yards. There was only 1 negative run of -2 yards and that happened in the 4th quarter. The Saints had only 2 negative plays all day. including a 1 yard sack by Golston.

If does not look significant but If I recall a game last year where Dallas gave up over 200 yards rushing, a large percentage of it was to the left. That seems to be where the problem is.

So while our DTs are pretty awful against the run, I think the problem is bigger than just that. For whatever reason we seem to be more vulnerable on the left side. What I did not look at is who was lined up on the left DE. It seemed like they ran there whether it was Kneeland or Lawrence but I do not have the data for that analysis.
Lawrence plays pass first. Seems he always rushing passer and not keeping contain

gtb1943

Reaction score
we have not been good at DT for a long time and now we are terrible.
Anyone thinking scheme is going to make a lot of difference is dreaming.
this is the weakest unit on the team.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This is one reason why I don't like drafting for need. If you reach for a "need" guy who busts, you've both wasted that pick and still have that need.

Mazi was the least productive 1st round DT this century. We reached for him cause we needed a big NT, and guess what? We still need a big NT.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is one reason why I don't like drafting for need. If you reach for a "need" guy who busts, you've both wasted that pick and still have that need.

Mazi was the least productive 1st round DT this century. We reached for him cause we needed a big NT, and guess what? We still need a big NT.
It happens to the best of teams we are one of the best drafting teams so it happens I get what you're saying but Jordan Davis isn't doing much better in Philly and imagine taking a guy in the top 13 I think he went 13 and Mazy Smith went 27 I'd rather make a mistake at 27..

I'll give them a break because I don't think that many nose tackles or that many interior defensive lineman are available in the draft that you know you can hit on, and I'm not talking about 3 techs ,they do an OK job they should have probably collect kept Malik Collins,​
I mean, a lot of people here thought he was a bust and now isn't he playing for the 49ers got a big old contract people wanted him ran out of here well to me that's osa right now, osa might not be at his peak right now but if they let him go he's going to turn into Malik Collins later... so yeah we're OK finding a three tech but yes nose tackle in the draft very difficult to hit on because there's so few that are actually true nose tackles the true pure one tech coming out of college they're very rare I mean unless you're up in the top five and I mean most people don't take top five nose tackles but if you think there's a can't miss guy most teams are not doing that but that's the only ever going to find one so yeah we got to go back to free agency I mean maybe they have to find them there I know Jerry doesn't want to but just like I remember hearing this about safety and pass rush and all this other stuff they eventually got that fixed..​

I think right now if you look at the team the way it's put together i think no stack was the only position they're struggling to solve.

gtb1943

Reaction score
DT and Safety are the places this team has trouble ever getting really good players in the last twenty years. Roy Williams and Darren Woodson were the last two standout safeties we have had

DT speaks for itself; the Rat was the last really good one and how long has that been?

People bleating about how good our drafting is seem to miss those two areas

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
We need to build this team like we did the 90's team. From DT's to last safety. Funny thing is -we only need ONE to two even good defensive tackles to make this a great defense. Yet our moronic GM is clueless...Sad..... :facepalm:

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
This thread was up for 6+ hours before anyone questioned the OP on left vs right.

When an offense "runs to the left', that goes at the right side of the defense. SOOOooooo, this is running directly at Parsons; NOT DLaw.

Wilson

Reaction score
We don't have the personnel for Zimmer's defense. We still have the talent geared towards Dan Quinn's.

Against the Browns Zimmer ran Quinn's 85% of the time. Against the Saints, he ran his 85% of the time, the exact opposite. And look at the results. The bandaid approach to bringing in big-bodied defensive linemen on the cheap for Zimmer's defense is failing miserably.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score

I mean is there anyone actually surprised by this?

They botched the hell out of the DT position this offseason.

Oh some will try to blame the LBs or Parsons for not setting the edge but the biggest problem on run D is a DT rotation that is arguably the worst in football.

Sydla

Reaction score
This thread was up for 6+ hours before anyone questioned the OP on left vs right.

When an offense "runs to the left', that goes at the right side of the defense. SOOOooooo, this is running directly at Parsons; NOT DLaw.
I knew it.

Blaming Parsons.

Our DTs suck. Parsons is not even in the same ballpark in terms of being a problem.