Cowboys Defensive Tackles PFF Run Defense ranks are as follows after 2 games

DallasInDC

Reaction score
So, if i do my math right 4 DT x 32 teams = 128 which means we have 4 of the bottom 12 DTs in the league. :banghead:

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is fake news because our front office said we will be fine at this position, lol
Fake news? The team can more than be the final play non wimp offense. You really think they all amount to singers on a tour? They still can be forged in and come out steel unless they are little more than highly paid actors. I'm saying tough with pride.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is one reason why I don't like drafting for need. If you reach for a "need" guy who busts, you've both wasted that pick and still have that need.

Mazi was the least productive 1st round DT this century. We reached for him cause we needed a big NT, and guess what? We still need a big NT.
Drafting using only one strategy is simply foolish, whether it be need or BPA or whatever.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I saw that Aaron Donald is in shape... any chance Jerry could lure him out of retirement?

haha just kidding. maybe. I'm not kidding. *ugh* *sigh*

Hoofbite

Reaction score
So basically the worst possible defensive tackle situation across the league regardless of which Cowboys players are even on the field?

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is pretty easy to identify by the food sales booth at the stadium:

Cowboys DT Jordan Phillips is slow off the snap, has terrible pad level, and gets shoved into his own LB. Instead of absorbing blockers, the Cowboys are blocking their own defense.

Who’s at the other defensive tackle positions? The Dallas Cowboys have a first-round bust in Mazi Smith, an over-the-hill run-stuffer in Linval Joseph, and Jordan Phillips, who does not seem to give any effort. These are not players that strike fear into an opposing offense’s run game.

So far this season, these tackles have combined for three total tackles. Mazi Smith has no statistics, Jordan Phillips has one assisted tackle, and Linval Joseph has two total tackles. Now Jordan Phillips has been placed on injured reserve for a mystery wrist injury he says doesn’t exist.
https://insidethestar.com/dallas-cowboys-defense-has-a-foolish-flaw/

A girl's team in today's football can up and tell you that bucket as it is here and now: Will Not Carry Water.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We knew the Cowboys DT rotation was going to be awful this year. We knew it was awful last year and it got worse this year.

I went back and looked at the Saints rushing game against Dallas and here are some stats. Do what you want with them.

The Saints rushed 39 times for 190 yards for an average of 4.9 yards per rush. Three of those rushes were kneel downs at the end of the game or the rush totals would be 36 for 193 or 5.4 yards per carry.

They rushed 19 times to the left for 115 yards or 6 yards per carry. They rushed up the middle 5 times for 23 yards or 4.6 yards per carry (not including the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game.) They ran 12 times to the right for an average of 4.6 yards.

The longest run was 15 yards. They have 5 runs of 10 yards or more, 4 were to the left. 1 was to the right and that was in the 4th quarter when Dallas had some scrubs in.

Of the 36 rushing attempts only 2 gains 0 or negative yards. There was only 1 negative run of -2 yards and that happened in the 4th quarter. The Saints had only 2 negative plays all day. including a 1 yard sack by Golston.

If does not look significant but If I recall a game last year where Dallas gave up over 200 yards rushing, a large percentage of it was to the left. That seems to be where the problem is.

So while our DTs are pretty awful against the run, I think the problem is bigger than just that. For whatever reason we seem to be more vulnerable on the left side. What I did not look at is who was lined up on the left DE. It seemed like they ran there whether it was Kneeland or Lawrence but I do not have the data for that analysis.
Good stuff.

that 4-2-5 doesn’t work well vs run.

but it’s really a 3-3-5. Micah is really an OLB Who is looking to get a sack.

Dlaw might be slowing down too.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Carl Lawson

From 2018-2020, he played in 35 games for the Bengals. He transitioned to the defensive end position in his final year with the Bengals.
Fans saw Carl Lawson become a New York Jet in 2022. He returned to the linebacker position and played all 17 games. In those 17 games, he recorded 7 sacks, 33 combined tackles, and 9 for a loss.

In the 2023 season, the Jets put Carl Lawson’s hand back in the dirt when they moved him back to the defensive end.
https://insidethestar.com/dallas-cowboys-defensive-line-looking-absolutely-stacked/

He needs carpet time, not Jerry confidence building time.

Behind Parsons, fans will find Marshawn Kneeland and Tyrus Wheat. Marshawn Kneeland has been showing he belongs in the NFL and will get time in the regular season. Carl Lawson will bring not only another veteran presence to the defensive side of the ball but also an understanding of playing two different positions.

Carlos Watkins was added and has some run stopping ability.

Who’s at the other defensive tackle positions? The Dallas Cowboys have a first-round bust in Mazi Smith, an over-the-hill run-stuffer in Linval Joseph, and Jordan Phillips, who does not seem to give any effort.

Current defensive tackle vision.

Osa Odighizuwa - A not yet up to his standards. Is he being used wrong, or is he unable to get going with no help at the other defensive tackle position?

Creeper

Reaction score
This is pretty easy to identify by the food sales booth at the stadium:

Cowboys DT Jordan Phillips is slow off the snap, has terrible pad level, and gets shoved into his own LB. Instead of absorbing blockers, the Cowboys are blocking their own defense.

Who’s at the other defensive tackle positions? The Dallas Cowboys have a first-round bust in Mazi Smith, an over-the-hill run-stuffer in Linval Joseph, and Jordan Phillips, who does not seem to give any effort. These are not players that strike fear into an opposing offense’s run game.

So far this season, these tackles have combined for three total tackles. Mazi Smith has no statistics, Jordan Phillips has one assisted tackle, and Linval Joseph has two total tackles. Now Jordan Phillips has been placed on injured reserve for a mystery wrist injury he says doesn’t exist.

A girl's team in today's football can up and tell you that bucket as it is here and now: Will Not Carry Water.
The Cowboys have mismanaged this position for years. Letting Ridgeway go to the Commanders, or Rogers to the Bengals when they were so thin at this position are just wo examples. I am not saying Ridgeway or Rogers are any good, but what else did Dallas have? Ridgeway getting traded by the Commanders makes ne think Quinn just didn't like him. But Quinn also had Mazi shed 40 lbs. Quinn must like more disruptive DTs than big bodies who occupy blockers.

Look how we got here. They traded for Phillips just before the season. The picked up Joseph just before the season started. Phillips played a little in preseason and looked weak against the scrubs playing in preseason.

I honestly think Rogers was the better player, and being a rookie had more room for growth. I think he would give greater effort. But Jerry is stubborn and prideful. Instead of admitting he made a mistake, he puts Phillips on IR instead of just cutting him and admitting the mistake. He will probably release Phillips in a few weeks from the IR. Now they sign Carlos Watkins off a practice squad and I contend he will be the 2nd best DT on the field for Dallas on Sunday.

I am not out of Joseph just yet. I never expect him to give Dallas more than a dozen snaps at his age, but I think once he gets in shape he will be better than what we have.

But when you look at this team, can you think of any other team that is so weak at DT, and RB, as Dallas? This is nothing less than total incompetence.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys have mismanaged this position for years. Letting Ridgeway go to the Commanders, or Rogers to the Bengals when they were so thin at this position are just wo examples. I am not saying Ridgeway or Rogers are any good, but what else did Dallas have? Ridgeway getting traded by the Commanders makes ne think Quinn just didn't like him. But Quinn also had Mazi shed 40 lbs. Quinn must like more disruptive DTs than big bodies who occupy blockers.

Look how we got here. They traded for Phillips just before the season. The picked up Joseph just before the season started. Phillips played a little in preseason and looked weak against the scrubs playing in preseason.

I honestly think Rogers was the better player, and being a rookie had more room for growth. I think he would give greater effort. But Jerry is stubborn and prideful. Instead of admitting he made a mistake, he puts Phillips on IR instead of just cutting him and admitting the mistake. He will probably release Phillips in a few weeks from the IR. Now they sign Carlos Watkins off a practice squad and I contend he will be the 2nd best DT on the field for Dallas on Sunday.

I am not out of Joseph just yet. I never expect him to give Dallas more than a dozen snaps at his age, but I think once he gets in shape he will be better than what we have.

But when you look at this team, can you think of any other team that is so weak at DT, and RB, as Dallas? This is nothing less than total incompetence.
Complete and utter incompetence at GM.

To add, that leaves Zimmer trying desperately to find even one DT who can play. At present, he's trying to make steak out of a skunk.