Cowboys discuss bringing in Scott Linehan for playcalling

jblaze2004

Reaction score
This will definitely help dez and twill out. Both those guys can get deep. Witten and escobar finally in the seams and not 2 yard flare routes? Or will he just be calling jason garrett plays? SMH

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm starting to become convinced that I might be able to get a job on the coaching staff. Perhaps the title could be something to the tune of 'Jr. Kicking Asst. Coach of Video Studies Intern of Punting in Training Tech'.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
they had 119 more rushing attempts then Dallas in 2013 thats 7.5 more carries a game.thats middle of the pack in the nfl as opposed to be 2nd to last in the nfl in rushing.
In 2013.

If you look at his body of work in Detroit, it was as stated.

If you are trying to sell him as someone who believes in balance, try it somewhere else.

All we have here is someone who believes in what Garrett believes. And that has historically proven to not be about a balanced offense that will look at the run to finish football games.

Honestly, I do not care. This is just window dressing and if it makes Garrett feel better, well, that is all that matters anyways.

Alexander

Reaction score
They are saying this is a JG move not a Jerry move

This is a Garrett power play! Lame duck rising!

It is Jerry Jones granting a concession. A last ditch one.

If there were "moves" that meant anything, Garrett would have the mandate of an extension.

I will give Jones credit for one thing. He is certainly providing as much leeway with Garrett as he has ever done with any head coach he has ever hired.

TonyRomo17

Reaction score
In 2013.

If you look at his body of work in Detroit, it was as stated.

If you are trying to sell him as someone who believes in balance, try it somewhere else.

All we have here is someone who believes in what Garrett believes. And that has historically proven to not be about a balanced offense that will look at the run to finish football games.

Honestly, I do not care. This is just window dressing and if it makes Garrett feel better, well, that is all that matters anyways.

have you seen the lions runninbacks before this season? this year was j.bell breakout year and they signed reggie bush

Alexander

Reaction score
have you seen the lions runninbacks before this season? this year was j.bell breakout year and they signed reggie bush

They spent a high choice on Mikel LeShoure and failed to develop him. Sounds like Garrett's failure with Felix Jones.

Perhaps they can share notes.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The difference is linehan is really aggressive.

The passing game will look different if he really does call plays. With Bryant, Williams, Escobar, witten and Harris that would be a good thing.

I think we should have been in a vertically aggressive passing scheme all along.

Great post. In fairness to Garrett he has had to deal with the gunslinging side of Tony Romo. I think they need to be more aggressive, too, and turn Romo loose. But i do understand his pulling back. I just think he's pulled back too much and now is too conservative. Linehan will pull the string.

Alexander

Reaction score
Great post. In fairness to Garrett he has had to deal with the gunslinging side of Tony Romo. I think they need to be more aggressive, too, and turn Romo loose. But i do understand his pulling back. I just think he's pulled back too much and now is too conservative. Linehan will pull the string.
Romo has put Jason Garrett on the map.

Before coming to Dallas as an inexperienced QB coach who had "success" with Joey Harrington in Miami, he lacked bullet points on his resume.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Quit bringing in new coaches. It is just gonna make it harder to clear out the bum colony when next season goes down the toilet.

Deep_South

Reaction score
They are saying this is a JG move not a Jerry move
There seems to always be a certain amount of murkiness surrounding who is doing what to whom at Valley Ranch. But, I don't think Garrett decided to give up play-calling on his own; I think the decision was thrust upon him, which would explain why he dodged all of the questions about it for so long. (If it was his decision, he would have just said so and given the press his reasoning behind it.) Anyway, that would mean Callahan calling plays was Jerry's idea. It would follow that someone else from outside the organization calling plays would be Jerry's idea as well.

I mean, does anyone really thing Garrett went to Jerry and said, "I don't think myself or my OC have the ability to call the plays. Could you hire another OC to come in and do that for us? Please?"

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Before coming to Dallas as an inexperienced QB coach who had "success" with Joey Harrington in Miami, he lacked bullet points on his resume.

Garrett had been tabbed as a rising young coach long before coming to Dallas as the OC. Though, I'd agree that Romo's been a very, very good thing for Jason.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
They spent a high choice on Mikel LeShoure and failed to develop him. Sounds like Garrett's failure with Felix Jones.

Perhaps they can share notes.

The guy did tear his Achilles in 2011, then was suspended to start 2012. A lot of RB's bust in the NFL. Can't all be on the coach.

coult44

Reaction score
How much cap space could we save and put towards the defense if we cut all our RB's. what's the point of having any with these guys?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

You got a good look at his offense in 2007 and we've seen the same off and on since. I agree it's not consistent enough and I don't think Garrett et al are getting all the goody out of the talent. But Garrett is better than your average OC.

rojan

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys believe they have a potential solution for internal disagreements over the direction of their offense.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the Cowboys have discussed hiring former Detroit Lionsoffensive coordinator Scott Linehan, per a source informed of the Cowboys' plans. It's not clear what position he would coach, but calling plays is one option and the two sides have made contact, according to Rapoport.

ESPN's Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen first reported the news.

One source told ESPN that Linehan could have the title of passing game coordinator with the designation as the team's playcaller. The source expects Linehan to be hired.

Jason Garrett ceded playcalling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan last year, but the owner-driven arrangement led to internal dysfunction as the Cowboyszigged and zagged to their third consecutive 8-8 finish. Werder speculated that Linehan would serve as a compromise choice for Jerry Jones and Garrett.

Linehan was among the Lions assistants let go after Jim Schwartz was fired this month. Under Linehan, the Lionsfinished sixth, third and fifth in total offense over the past three seasons. Linehan is known for his pass-heavy approach -- he's unlikely the man to solve theCowboys' balance issues on offense in recent years.

Linehan interviewed with the Baltimore Ravens on Monday and is believed to be a finalist for their offensive coordinator vacancy.

Jones said at the Reese's Senior Bowl this week that both Callahan and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin will return in 2014. They also just signed their kicker to a seven-year, $22.5 million deal. This is a hard team to figure out right now.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Man, this is getting stupid. Its football, how hard is it to develop a game plan, develop an emergency plan for when your game plan gets blow to hell and call them plays.

I'm like embarrassed at this point. No high school team has this problem. Just like WOW!