Twitter: Cowboys expected to pick up 5th year option on Byron Jones

cern

Reaction score

I think his best is yet to come. Kris Richards just might be the gut to put Byron in a place to succeed. I hated losing Frank pollack, but other than that it appears we upgraded at the other assistant coaching positions. Time for new ideas.

Silverstar

Reaction score
6.1 million?

Did he play LCB or RCB in 2015?

Cuz you can pencil him in as a day 1 starter at one CB spot now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My bad. I thought Eberflus was in charge of the passing game for the D, not just the LBs. And here I was thinking he was pretty darn good. So how did he get the DC gig?

He may have been the passing game coordinator too, not sure. But even that, there were plenty times the receivers were too wide open at critical times.
Hopefully Richard can improve this.

Have no idea how he got a DC gig, but many thought he could replace Rod. I for one did not, I wanted him gone and glad he is.

Proof

Reaction score
This is an excellent move. The price and how it was manipulated (I assume ) is a great maneuver

Aven8

Reaction score
Well evidently Richard can walk on water. I don't hate Jones, but will see. I've always thought he was a corner.

mardwin

Reaction score
Right move now that Byron is playing corner. We wasted 3 year of his development trying to move him to a position he wasn't very good at. Byron excelled on man to man coverage against TE, not sure how well he would do against WRs but let's hope he can be consistent at least on that aspect of the game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Excellent move by the Boys. I wanted Dallas to draft Byron prior to his selection and have been ecstatic with his level of play. I see him taking the next step in his career and making the pro-bowl. I love his ability to match-up with TEs or WRs and his ability to play FS.

Congrats to Byron.

Ecstatic? If you are really blown away then your standards are about as low as they get. Jones has been a complete bust at safety. so badly that they are moving him out of there. He will be worse at corner.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
cowboys would be foolish not to pick up his 5th year option. kris Richards will make him a star in the nfl.
only person that will make Byron a Star is Byron. He’s been in the league 4 years. Richard isn’t some magic worker. Richard won’t give Byron route anticipation. Film study does that.

cern

Reaction score
only person that will make Byron a Star is Byron. He’s been in the league 4 years. Richard isn’t some magic worker. Richard won’t give Byron route anticipation. Film study does that.
possibly. leaving him at one spot just might be the impetus necessary to get him going. never underestimate the importance of good coaching.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Byron Played good at corner. Its not his fault Dallas moved him to safety

Carter

Reaction score
His last Chance to prove he deserves another contract with the Cowboys.

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
At this point it doesnt matter what the Cowboys do.. there will be someone who doesnt like the move

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is a terrible move

The only way this move makes sense is if they've already arranged a trade with another team. We've got young, cheap CBs who are our future, and should get the snaps.

Byron made sense as trade bait because some team would want to see what he had. We've got younger, cheaper, and by all indications, better guys we'll own for longer.

EDIT: Apparently the contract is non-guaranteed. So give it a shot. I still think it makes the most sense to trade him to a team that needs a starting CB. Seattle?

I wonder, did we do this *before* the draft because if we traded him away during the draft, the new team wouldn't be able to exercise the option themselves?

Last edited:

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Well evidently Richard can walk on water. I don't hate Jones, but will see. I've always thought he was a corner.

The idol worship of Kris Richard on here is already insane.

Byron will never be more than a below average player. We drafted a college athlete, not a football player.

His college tape wasn’t all that Impressive playing in the rough big east and if you remember jones was pegged as a 4-6 rounder before the combine. It might even be worse than that as some reports had him as the 25th best CB before the combine. He may not have even been drafted based off of the tape.

But, we became enamored with his jumping ability.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Only guaranteed if he is injured through next offseason . It's a non guaranteed contract extension .

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...recast-for-every-2015-first-round-draft-pick/
The fifth year is guaranteed for injury when the option is exercised. The option year becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the league year in the fifth contract year (early to mid-March 2019 for the 2015 draft class).​

Since it's not really guaranteed, why wouldn't every team always take the extension as a matter of course? Yeah, you worry about injuries, but it would have to be a huge injury to keep him out of the following year.

Interesting point in the article - the extensions are priced by player position and draft position. Byron got the safety price, which was significantly lower than the CB price = 9mil.

Since it's not guaranteed, there's no real harm, and maybe the plus of a cheap deal next year. Still think they should trade him to a team that needs a starting CB.