Twitter: Cowboys extend Demarcus Lawrence

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who couldn't we sign because of this?

I mean supposed to tell you about players the team didn't sign?

How about the fact that they have to restructure contracts and kick the can down the road with voidable years? How about the fact that moves like this are required?

Just stop. You look dumb.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly - lowballed - after what season? What was the offer? Dak was not great in 2017 and terrible at the beginning of 2018. 2019 was his first full good year since 2016. He was definitely a work in progress and not worth a long term 100 million deal.

The same year that Goff and Wentz got their, neither of whom has better numbers than the "work in progress" you're falsely claiming.

I think they have played this well. From a Salary Cap standpoint and a time value of Jerry's money standpoint. The only way this turns out bad is if the salary cap goes down because of rona and social issues. They could not have forseen that. Dak on the other hand, for the same reasons, has played this poorly!

Then you'd be 100% wrong.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nothing you said refutes my point. These moves aren't necessarily to sign Dak. It's to get ready for the 2021 cap year when the Cowboys are projected to be over the estimated lower cap (substantially lower depending on revenues). If Dak had signed last month, they still likely would have restructured deals to get ready for 2021. It's not even about adding players right now. It's about trying to create as much rollover space as possible to help alleviate cap concerns in 2021.

The point about Philly was to highlight that teams are restructuring now to try to make it easier to comply with the 2021 cap.

At this point, the team likely believes that creating additional space for 2021 is going to be helpful regardless of who or what it's used for.

Fans read all kinds of things into stuff. I mean, I get it. It's been a way long offseason so yeah, I understand. But, I think you are right in that the team is just doing the financial work necessary to ensure flexibility going forward.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BS? lol; you take this forum to serious. They messed up and that is factual when it was reported that Stephen could not believe that a 4 year contract was the sticking point with Dak.

And you, apparently, don't take it seriously enough. Nobody messed anything up. It's business but perhaps that is too serious a subject for you to discuss here.

State your facts so that they can be shot down in flames, again........

aikemirv

Reaction score
The same year that Goff and Wentz got their, neither of whom has better numbers than the "work in progress" you're falsely claiming.

Then you'd be 100% wrong.

100% not a proveable fact on either count.

Jerry still has his money in his investments earning more - Dak does not have it. That is 100% fact and Jerry investments seem to always pan out.

Carson has a stellar year in 17 and continued on the upward slope in 2018 before injury and then got his deal.

Goff started slow but was on the upslope and had just taken his team to the Super Bowl and then got his deal.

Dak was on the downslope from his rookie year and showed signs of becoming a flop until Amari arrived- without a prove it to me 2019 Jerry would have been quite frivolous to hand him 100 million!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
100% not a proveable fact on either count.

Jerry still has his money in his investments earning more - Dak does not have it. That is 100% fact and Jerry investments seem to always pan out.

What are you even talking about here? You think Jerry keeps the difference? Really?

Carson has a stellar year in 17 and continued on the upward slope in 2018 before injury and then got his deal.

Goff started slow but was on the upslope and had just taken his team to the Super Bowl and then got his deal.

Dak was on the downslope from his rookie year and showed signs of becoming a flop until Amari arrived- without a prove it to me 2019 Jerry would have been quite frivolous to hand him 100 million!

I can easily pull up their career numbers if you want to look worse. You just let me know.

InTheZone

Reaction score
no reason to panic to pay Dak now. If he gets extended and fails this year we are screwed over by him once again.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, @PAPPYDOG , remember to keep your promise!

You said you would stay away from here for 1 whole year if Dak is signed to a big longterm contract.

Looks like the Cowboys are making salary cap room to sign Dak by season's end.

Hope you enjoy your 1 year vacation from the CZ boards next year? We're going to miss you!!!......

NOT! :D:p:laugh:

Counting the chickens before they hatch ehhh??
It's a beautiful thing to hang around here watching you Dak-Trolls dreams get slapped down once again!
After this season is over Dak won't be worth Winston type money!

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Our front office is so much smarter than it used to be.

Hopefully it finally pays off. Our drafting and our financial decisions have been so good the past several years, but no playoff success to show for it because the coaching has been so bad.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak deal incoming. I think the Watson deal scared the Cowboys.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
There is no Dak deal incoming. He can't sign a new contract until 2021. By rule.

Did I say next week? I thought Dak could leave. I am starting to think a deal gets done. I love the guys that think they are smarter than everyone else.

aikemirv

Reaction score
What are you even talking about here? You think Jerry keeps the difference? Really?

I can easily pull up their career numbers if you want to look worse. You just let me know.

If you don't understand the time value of money here, which I know you do, then you are just being obtuse!

Did I say anything about career numbers - Career is not the point - the trajectory was the point and easy to understand the concept

Whyjerry

Reaction score
To clarify because there are so many smart azzes here. Given the offseason the probability that Dak leaves was increasing. The Watson contract sets the market closer to 40. Jerry can’t have that go higher. The Cowboys might be seeing Dak’s numbers were closer to Watson than Goff. Hence they might give in. I never said the deal was happening now. I know the tag rules.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They don't have a choice with the impending cap decrease for 2021. Unless you want them to just start cutting good players at the end of 2020.

How are you guys not getting what's going on here?
I dont think its understood that there isnt a limit next year on the amount of cap we can roll over

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't understand the time value of money here, which I know you do, then you are just being obtuse!

And I f you think the money is sitting in Jerry Jones' "investments", you are as well.

Did I say anything about career numbers -

Intentionally not, because it renders your claims to be false. It does not go unnoticed.

Career is not the point - the trajectory was the point and easy to understand the concept

The "concept" sucks, and it is 100% a false narrative.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the cap reduction is pretty substantial - I would think Dak is not going to get the $40 million dollar contract. There is no way the contracts don't take a hit, when the cap takes a hit.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I mean supposed to tell you about players the team didn't sign?

How about the fact that they have to restructure contracts and kick the can down the road with voidable years? How about the fact that moves like this are required?

Just stop. You look dumb.
Dumb? You are the one that can't answer the question