Twitter: Cowboys Fewest Interceptions in NFL since 2011

Carson

Reaction score
Should just sign Dennis Thurman and Everson Walls to come coach.

They know a thing or two about getting picks

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
80% of the discussion is about the offense when 80% of the problem with this franchise is the defense. Has been since Parcells left.

Only quibble: Defense was pretty good when Phillips first took over, but quickly started to unravel because of his failings as a head coach. (Defense wasn't the primary reason we lost in the playoffs to the Giants 21-17 in 2007. It could have played better, but breakdowns on offense hurt us more ... some of it caused by health issues at receiver.) I've always felt it's too bad we couldn't have just demoted Phillips to defensive coordinator and him be happy with that. The defensive coordinators we've had since then have been inadequate.

Zordon

Reaction score

Stephen-A-Smith.jpg

dwreck27

Reaction score
We’ve employed a bend dont break defense

ZERO playmaking ability is looked for or expected

Just run the route or sit in your zone and HOPE the offense screws it up for you. Rinse and repeat. Oh and have rod stomp up and down calling folks “loafs”

Vandyr

Reaction score
It is unbelievably strange to me that virtually all our CBs refuse to turn and look for the ball... you’d think it is a basic skill, but not in Dallas

It's how they're coached and told to play off the receiver...look at Carr...he had a forty something game stretch with no ints and the first year he spends on a different team he gets 5, I think?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
most here know we have had stretches of great offense but in the biggest games its the defense that for sure has let us down.. nothings changed this year..we have the 4th best scoring offense and first in yards and on 3rd downs.

we should be 8-2 vs 6-4 if we had a defense that could get a few more TOs or stops ie lost 4 games by 15points TOTAL..im betting a 4 point swing gets us 8-2 thats all defense.. I know we have some slow starts and few TOs on offense but they make up for them by games end..

True but we could also be 8-2 if our offense could score 15pts vs the pats and saints. They can't just be good vs bad defenses. Either.

EJK24

Reaction score
It's how they're coached and told to play off the receiver...look at Carr...he had a forty something game stretch with no ints and the first year he spends on a different team he gets 5, I think?

I believe there is a coaching element at play when you consider that int's have been a problem for a long time. We have had a number of players come and go and if that Carr stat you posted is correct, then that goes to show you these guys do get it done elsewhere.

My question is what are we doing/not doing that this team just cant seem to come up with ints?

What specifically is the issue that causes us to be so bad in this area? Every team I'm sure has guys who drop picks just like I've seen our guys do but I think it's more then that. Our secondary hardly looks like they are going for the ball and can barely manage to get their eyes on it.

Anyone have an idea what we are doing/not doing that causes these guys to not force ints?

Silly

Reaction score
/QUOTE]My question is what are we doing/not doing that this team just cant seem to come up with ints?

My guess would be no push up front that collapses the pocket and obstructs the QB's downfield vision, DL stunts that take forever to develop, and DBs that don't play the ball

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I believe Richard has his strengths. Great position coach for the secondary.

I am in favor of scrapping everything we do on defense. We have some very talented players. We also have major holes. I want fresh eyes.

Might sound crazy, but if Brady retires the Jones family should bring in Belichick. Throws bags of gold at him until he agrees.

KR did an excellent job as DC for the SHawks. The stats don’t lie.

Don’t let his falling out with them distract from his record. Very impressive.

EJK24

Reaction score
My guess would be no push up front that collapses the pocket and obstructs the QB's downfield vision, DL stunts that take forever to develop, and DBs that don't play the ball

I was thinking that the logical answer would be lack of pressure but check out this stat.

There 14 teams In the league with less sacks then the Cowboys and all of them except one (the lions) have more int's then we do. The lions are the only team with less sacks but the same amount of ints we have. 2 other teams teams that are tied with us for sacks? They also have more ints then we do. The Dolphins have exactly half the amount of sacks that we do but have more ints then we do. We have 4 they have 7 which is almost double the amount.

So the lack of pressure doesn't appear to be the main reason. It doesnt mean it isnt playing a role at all but there are clearly teams who struggle much worse to get after the QB and still manage to force ints.

Iago33

Reaction score
KR did an excellent job as DC for the SHawks. The stats don’t lie.

Don’t let his falling out with them distract from his record. Very impressive.
Carroll did a nice job in Seattle. KR was along for the ride

Brooksey

Reaction score
It's Amari Cooper's fault. I said earlier we haven't been the same on defense since Everson Walls..i'm not counting Deion he was really a Falcon/49er

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
80% of the discussion is about the offense when 80% of the problem with this franchise is the defense. Has been since Parcells left.

"80% of the discussion is about the offense when 80% of the problem with this franchise is the defense."

:clap:

I've been preaching that for years. Cowboys fans just seem to expect the offense to outscore the defense's ineptitude. The day the Broncos won 51-48, without ever punting, and people blamed Romo...wow. :muttley:

The Cowboys have never won anything with a defense outside of the top 10. Everyone remembers the 90s offense, but those teams played defense as well.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I thought we had to be dead last looking around other teams...it’s just another infamous record of ineptitude. Garrett’s teams never have been big winners in the picks dept....although I’m not sure anyone,including themselves can give a solid reason why. It’s one of those Twilight Zone areas,come to Dallas...forget how to catch. Think about it...we have CB’s who don’t make interceptions in a passing league? Just the natural laws of dumb luck would suggest a few more than this. It’s truly a bizarre situation.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Turnovers are mainly caused by constant pressure. Until this season we packed a consistent pass rush off both edges. On top of that we play bend but don't break. Our DBs always have their eyes turned away from QB and we never jump routes. This season we took care of the edge rush, but still play too soft in coverage.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Under Garrett we almost broke the record for fewest takeaways in a season. The lack of turnovers under Garrett is IMO the biggest problem of his coaching tenure. We've had years where other teams in the NFL have had close to triple or quadruple the takeaways. Mind boggling stat.