Cowboys FO Arrogance

sportsman

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel the Front Office doesn't feel they have to go that extra mile such as making the trade that shows the fans & players we are being aggressive. After all if the Cowboys don't win another game the season fans will be back. Sure we will chant fire Garrett. But nothing will change. This organization will make money whether this team win or lose.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't think it is 100% arrogance.

It is their unabashed optimism about the players under contract. Why go get talent (and spend money) when you got it all right here?

HanD

Reaction score
i don't think the FO feels the need to prove anything to the fans (going that extra mile). If they feel like they are doing the right thing in terms of short and long term for the franchise, that should be enough. going the extra distance and out of your way to appease a fan base can lead to a short career. jmo

Garrettop

Reaction score
I fail to see what defensive talent (which is where the team deficiency is) is readily available for non-premium picks. No one knows what sorts of phone calls are being made right now, but the board assumption seems to be that when no trade occurs no effort was expended, which is an argument from ignorance. The FO has been doing a much better job since 2012 than in the previous twenty years, and I'd rather a more conservative approach than sending out picks and big money for more 11Williams or Galloways.

sideon

Reaction score
Or, maybe that don't to do a trade just to do one to make the fans feel all gushy inside.
That's just an excuse because not every trade is a "just because" trade, this organization either signs or trades for bargain bin players. Players like Ward, Hilton, Landry & Bryant make too much sense, and that is exactly why they will not be here.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel the Front Office doesn't feel they have to go that extra mile such as making the trade that shows the fans & players we are being aggressive. After all if the Cowboys don't win another game the season fans will be back. Sure we will chant fire Garrett. But nothing will change. This organization will make money whether this team win or lose.

I don't think this is the case at all. Jerry has tried all kinds of methods to win, including going the extra mile to bring in "big-name" players. When one strategy fails, he switches to another, with his latest being don't spend much on free agency because you don't get your money's worth and don't pay age.

Those are two pretty good maxims in a vacuum, but they cannot be applied unilaterally like they have been with Dallas. The GMs' job is to recognize shortcomings on the team and shore up those areas of weakness. Considering that this defense has been a trouble spot for a long time, it's clear that Jerry is not doing a good job.

I do not doubt his desire to win, but I certainly doubt his know-how.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
stupid is as stupid does...that's what my momma always told me...this is the front office coming off a 13-3 season...down right stupid

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I fail to see what defensive talent (which is where the team deficiency is) is readily available for non-premium picks. No one knows what sorts of phone calls are being made right now, but the board assumption seems to be that when no trade occurs no effort was expended, which is an argument from ignorance.

:thumbup:

Arguments from ignorance, keeping the internet active since 1994.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't think it is 100% arrogance.

It is their unabashed optimism about the players under contract. Why go get talent (and spend money) when you got it all right here?

This is 100% the issue. They need someone from outside the family circle to evaluate players and coaches. Ideally at least 4 times per year. Jerry & co. would not always agree but just hearing the differing opinions may lead to better team management.

khiladi

Reaction score
I would be all for more offensive firepower. It is going to be tough sledding thinking we can stick with our current method on offense minus Elliott and outscore everyone.

Elliott is a huge part of why we score as much as we do.

Whatever adds value, whether defense or offense...

Smashin222

Reaction score
I take it you were not a fan when we traded for Roy Williams and/or Joey Galloway? This FO might feel burned by those deals and not prone to making another huge gaffe that sets the team back several years for picks/cap purposes.

tm1119

Reaction score
I’ve actually been debating whether it’s arrogance or just flat out incompitence for a while now...sadly we have to hope it’s arrogance and they can realize the error of their ways

I fail to see what defensive talent (which is where the team deficiency is) is readily available for non-premium picks. No one knows what sorts of phone calls are being made right now, but the board assumption seems to be that when no trade occurs no effort was expended, which is an argument from ignorance. The FO has been doing a much better job since 2012 than in the previous twenty years, and I'd rather a more conservative approach than sending out picks and big money for more 11Williams or Galloways.

How about addressing those needs in the off season instead of last second at the deadline? Crazy concept huh? There’s absolutely 0 excuses for going into this season with what we have on defense after a 13-3 season. If we were coming off of a 7-9 season and were semi rebuilding I wouldn’t be complaining at all. As is we took our own momentum and stuffed it into a can and then continued to light it on fire. Let’s just all hope and pray that it’s not lost and we can finally make some moves to help us and come back next yea stronger.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I take it you were not a fan when we traded for Roy Williams and/or Joey Galloway? This FO might feel burned by those deals and not prone to making another huge gaffe that sets the team back several years for picks/cap purposes.
Trades can be good ones too.

Charles Haley, Terry Glenn.

Not every trade has to be Roy Williams/Joey Galloway.