Cowboys franchise tagging DeMarcus Lawrence

Jeffkills

Reaction score
If we could get back into the first round for him, I'd be ecstatic...

Paying him when he's acting like Antonio Brown sets a TURRIBLE precedent for all the other guys we need to get paid in the next couple years....

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
They are still far apart. See who blinks. His agent is likely playing hardball.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Let the twitter drama begin...

Can’t wait for teammates to start chiming in with obligatory tweets of “pay that man!” “Business shaking my head” “Give that man his money!”
they should probably keep their mouth shut because Dallas might be paying him THERE money

Verdict

Reaction score
Remember about ten days ago when the team said they wouldn't tag him? Don't believe everything you hear.

While it is possible that the Cowboys sign him to a long term deal, this is going to get really critical soon. Between the shoulder surgery he won't currently undergo and his salary demands (which will likely be higher than last year) this is looking less and less like an extension.

If Lawrence doesn't undergo the surgery soon he won't be ready for the season opener. 70/30 now that he is traded or plays under the tag. In a month you can up that some more to an even higher probability of that happening.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
it really don't matter to me because either way they are making the palyoffs next season any way only helps ot get rid of garrett

PUSHfold

Reaction score
This won't be popular but tag and trade him for whatever you can get...Lawrence is a great player but he's injury prone, has back issues, and he fades down the stretch almost every season. He's a great player but he's not worth 20+ million a season in my opinion. We're in serious trouble at the DE spot but that shouldn't dictate whether we spend 100m+ on one single player. I'd rather go ALL OUT with the draft capital we have getting DL and getting whoever or whatever we can cheaper in FA to help replace the hit. I just don't think Lawrence is worth Donald money because he's not that kind of player.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This won't be popular but tag and trade him for whatever you can get...Lawrence is a great player but he's injury prone, has back issues, and he fades down the stretch almost every season. He's a great player but he's not worth 20+ million a season in my opinion. We're in serious trouble at the DE spot but that shouldn't dictate whether we spend 100m+ on one single player. I'd rather go ALL OUT with the draft capital we have getting DL and getting whoever or whatever we can cheaper in FA to help replace the hit. I just don't think Lawrence is worth Donald money because he's not that kind of player.

He isn’t tradeable while needing shoulder surgery. That is why they are putting it off. He can hold out and not have surgery. All Dallas can do to have him on the field is give him what he wants. If he gets the surgery, Dallas then has the option to shop him around.

Proof

Reaction score
This gives the two sides until the NFL deadline of July 15 to come to terms on what will undoubtedly be a market-setting extension, but the sooner the contract is signed, the better — considering Lawrence is a prime holdout candidate. If the negotiations stretch beyond the beginning of the offseason program this spring, you can expect a similar situation seen when wide receiver Dez Bryant and right guard Zack Martin opted to protect themselves by skipping team activities until pen met paper. Often, NFL teams have utilized the franchise tag as nothing more than a holding pattern that lasts only a few weeks, and it's possible that's what we're seeing here.

This is especially true when considering without a new deal in place, the Cowboys would have to fork over north of $20 million to Lawrence on the second tag.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...X9GHsu4y8WG1XhJE-DnKdvNYhPZmyatvck85l_LoUhAss

Lol at market setting. ***

conner01

Reaction score
How much is this guy asking for? Sheesh.

Might as well trade the guy. Problem is that Dallas is terrible at drafting Dlineman.
Most teams are
The Dline is hard to pick because it’s so much about effort, heart and desire
Some position you can good good just because of athletic ability
Seems every year there are massive bust from Dline picks, especially DT

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's just to buy more time to negotiate, he's already stated he wouldn't sign another tag contract.
So if he doesn't want to play..

let him sit.

I would not break the bank to sign him.

Take the money and go sign 3 players for his numbers and move on.

He has a shoulder injury that he is not seeking medical work on.

He was been suspended a couple of times and in his rookie year he missed much of the season.

I am not convinced he won't be missing more time dealing with something.

DeMarcus Ware had a bad shoulder that turned into a permanent stinger and he became half the player he started out to be and we had to release him and eat the cap hit.

Lawrence is one injury away from the same end.

I am not concerned.

Taco front and center and a #2 draft pick at DL is clearly on the way with Gregory and Irvin also failing.