Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss

HanD

Reaction score
Has he ever been the starter for a whole year? If so, yeah that's not good, but for a part time player you'd have to look at his games to see if he's worth the look. But then again, if he's never been a starter, what evidence do we have he can be an effective starter?

Just wondering...
he started for indy when jonathan taylor was out last year and was good for those games. can he do it over a whole season? who knows but that's why he'd be cheap and ideally part of a rbbc that you don't have to put all your eggs into a basket with.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ronald Jones was a cheap option and didn't even make it to the first game. I need an investment there.
Yeah that would have been nice except for he got suspended it's the reason he didn't make it when you get suspended for PD and you're pretty much gonna be you're very average player you just move on I mean can't blame the front office for him getting suspended and not being able to utilize the guy

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah that would have been nice except for he got suspended it's the reason he didn't make it when you get suspended for PD and you're pretty much gonna be you're very average player you just move on I mean can't blame the front office for him getting suspended and not being able to utilize the guy
If Ronald Jones was worth something they wouldn’t have cut him. Sam Williams didn’t get cut. Cowboys don’t cut players for breaking rules unless they stink.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Get a rookie.

You can find a superstar at any point in the draft most years.
Can is different than will. Most likely you don't. Occasionally you hit.

Later round RBs are a good bet for a lottery ticket, but they're still just a lottery ticket.

Should have rolled the dice last year so we wouldn't be entirely relying on a crapshoot this year, forcing us to use a higher pick to be sure we got someone decent.

And no, Deuce was not even an attempt at a real RB. Clearly a RB/WR motion player. Too bad we didn't use him as such.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And no, Deuce was not even an attempt at a real RB
Cowboys had essentially a draft pick to waste, nobody was left when Deuce was available that was anywhere near as good as they needed for a backup running back. I keep telling you people Jerry's loyal to his coaches, he saw an opportunity to do something nice for Deuce's daddy, so he did it.
Similar to Parcells drafting Bobby Carpenter because Bobby's daddy played for the Tuna.

He'll be released next year, if not during camp this year...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys had essentially a draft pick to waste, nobody was left when Deuce was available that was anywhere near as good as they needed for a backup running back. I keep telling you people Jerry's loyal to his coaches, he saw an opportunity to do something nice for Deuce's daddy, so he did it.
Similar to Parcells drafting Bobby Carpenter because Bobby's daddy played for the Tuna.

He'll be released next year, if not during camp this year...
They'll work Deuce as a potential for moving on from Turpin - though Turpin's increased role on offense might get him a new contract.

And I just do like Deuce for the gimmick WR/RB role. He always looks very fluid receiving the ball to me. I bet he has a real career.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
One vet RB I can get behind signing is Moss. 4 years in the league he is only 27 and started a bunch of games. Would cost less than half as much as the big names. Add a day 2 draft pick to him and the RB position is set.

Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss​

One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.
Timm Hamm
3/3/24

FRISCO - One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.

Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Austin Eckeler and Saquon Barkley have all been linked to the Cowboys at some point.

But those players - as effective as they could be - come at tremendous cost. The Cowboys might need to shop for more of a bargain in their current salary cap situation. One possible answer could be Indianapolis Colts ball carrier Zack Moss.

Moss is projected by Spotrac to sign for two years and $9.2 million. An absolute bargain price compared to Henry, who is expected to get more than double that for a one-year deal at $10.3 million, and Barkley, who Spotrac predicts will sign somewhere for three years and $29.9 million.

If the Cowboys are looking to save some money at running back. Moss could be a good low-cost signing.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ing-back-zack-moss-tony-pollard-draft-combine

zack-moss.jpg
Maybe we give Trance an opportunity at RB, too late that would not be a low cost approach at $5.2M.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
You cannot have a spare
Superstar??? who says you need a superstar at running back....How about a guy like Isiah Pacheco, Kansas City's seventh round selection in 2022, 251st overall, two time Superbowl champion averages 4.7 YPC and has has over 2000 yards in rushing and receiving and 14 TDs...This notion that you need an elite running back in todays NFL is ridiculous. Use a draft pick from the third round on, fix the real issue, the offensive line because that's where the problem lies in the Cowboys running game.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They'll work Deuce as a potential for moving on from Turpin - though Turpin's increased role on offense might get him a new contract.

And I just do like Deuce for the gimmick WR/RB role. He always looks very fluid receiving the ball to me. I bet he has a real career.
I'd like to see him have a good career, but sorry, just don't see it.

Hope I'm wrong.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Barkley. I think he'd thrive in this offense. I think he would make Dak even better because you would have to respect the running game.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Barkley. I think he'd thrive in this offense. I think he would make Dak even better because you would have to respect the running game.

who says? no you dont, you stop and continue to crush a depleted line. the Cowboys are going to trot out rainbows and fairy dust. No DC worth his salt is going to respect our line when they know they can bully it. Barkley will only thrive afgainst bad teams. start thinking football and not players.

Chasing6

Reaction score
who says? no you dont, you stop and continue to crush a depleted line. the Cowboys are going to trot out rainbows and fairy dust. No DC worth his salt is going to respect our line when they know they can bully it. Barkley will only thrive afgainst bad teams. start thinking football and not players.
We would need a healthy Barry Sanders to run with this OLine. It was solid in pass protection, but not in the run game. Then minus 2 starters and you think the RB, is going to solve our problems?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
We would need a healthy Barry Sanders to run with this OLine. It was solid in pass protection, but not in the run game. Then minus 2 starters and you think the RB, is going to solve our problems?

im not, its not happening. id rrahter just have a guy who can run, and this year is already done. the offense will rely soley on Dak and the defenses wont respect him.

Lose Lose

Chasing6

Reaction score
im not, its not happening. id rrahter just have a guy who can run, and this year is already done. the offense will rely soley on Dak and the defenses wont respect him.

Lose Lose
I believe if you have a legit OLine an average back can rush for 1,000+ yards. I would prefer a running back by committee approach - 3 backs, that get 400 each. If one gets hurt it is not a big deal. If one wants more money trade him or let him walk, we have 2 more just like him and draft another one in the 5th round to replace him.

I never ever want to be in a Zeke situation again. Great player, but we should have traded or let him walk.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I believe if you have a legit OLine an average back can rush for 1,000+ yards. I would prefer a running back by committee approach - 3 backs, that get 400 each. If one gets hurt it is not a big deal. If one wants more money trade him or let him walk, we have 2 more just like him and draft another one in the 5th round to replace him.

I never ever want to be in a Zeke situation again. Great player, but we should have traded or let him walk.
we dont have a legit OL.

what you are thinkig right now is not what we have, and wont have next season.

I would agree with you, maybe the RBBC is suspect, it really doesnt play in this league as much, great against bad teams.