Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss

quickccc

Reaction score
I think the point is more the cowboys can sign a veteran rb like a moss to be a very serviceable, solid player and part of a running back tandem. We don’t need him to be a superstar or star player. It doesn’t even have to be moss, his price range was an example.

You use him along with a rookie back who is hopefully the future and then moss or whom ever can be a bridge. Would be a fine signing
then we don't need to sign him away right now per FA period .
You can wait post-draft and sign a JAG vet backup RB at a minimal vet wage.

and yes, we do need a superstar featured back that stands our best chance of getting over the hump per 3 straight seasons
of ho-hum offensive divisional playoff exits. 3 str8 playoffs with us depending upon Dak to be the lone savior to advance us further in the playoffs.

We will need a exceptional RB that will add and enable to have an exceptional edge to an passing offense that stalls out while we've had 3 str8 lousy performance by the run game. A JAG vet RB, combined with questionable run/pass RB scheme is not
gonna give us that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What has Zack Moss done that he needs to be considered as a very key FA difference maker ?

is he a pro bowler ? ... An exceptional back
is he one that opposing teams scheme vs and needs to game plan for ?

He's just another serviceable RB .. JAG
He isn't. But he can get the job done, is the right age, and won't command big bucks.

Team him up with a day 2 RB and let's go.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
then we don't need to sign him away right now per FA period .
You can wait post-draft and sign a JAG vet backup RB at a minimal vet wage.

and yes, we do need a superstar featured back that stands our best chance of getting over the hump per 3 straight seasons
of ho-hum offensive divisional playoff exits. 3 str8 playoffs with us depending upon Dak to be the lone savior to advance us further in the playoffs.

We will need a exceptional RB that will add and enable to have an exceptional edge to an passing offense that stalls out while we've had 3 str8 lousy performance by the run game. A JAG vet RB, combined with questionable run/pass RB scheme is not
gonna give us that.
I said we don’t need him to be a super star back…meaning the veteran signing. Your misconstruing my words. Of course the running game is important. I disagree about waiting until post draft.

You want the rookie they draft to be our superstar running back. Get 2 good backs isn’t a bad problem.

CWR

Reaction score
hes a tough between the tackles runner. Not as good as AJ but hes an upgrade over what we had last year. Pollard is a complimentary guy. Moss has the ability to start.
AJ Dillon sucks. He's good at having big quads, that's about it. I'd take Foreman or Gus over him every time.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stat wise he looks like an ok backup with relatively few carries for his career. There's a reason buffalo gave up on him his 3rd year. Really he has similar stats to dowdle but Zach got more carries. I'd let him compete with dowdle to backup whomever they draft in the 3rd or 4th round.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So patriots and chiefs have the blueprint? Cause I don’t really see too many other examples. Even the niners paid their RB.
It’s basically the whole league outside of a few teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
143 on the consensus board. They took him at 212. How about you go to the consensus board and find a higher back that was available at 212.
Higher back? Ah, changing parameters, I see. Huge difference between higher player and higher back.

kskboys

Reaction score
They didn't draft him because of his father. They drafted him because they missed out on backs earlier in the draft and he waa the highest player on their board when they took him.
Dang, looks like you say "player" to me. Just own up to your ooops and let's move on, hey?

rambo2

Reaction score
Dang, looks like you say "player" to me. Just own up to your ooops and let's move on, hey?
OK, name a player higher than 143 at 212. You know we were talking about running backs and you can't name a player. Your whole thing was bs. Play your little daddy card which is bs.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Point being we don’t have a running ba k for 2024 season period. Which is cool let’s just go 95 percent passing. Go five wide every down and sling. Make dak get 8000 yards or cut him

kskboys

Reaction score
OK, name a player higher than 143 at 212. You know we were talking about running backs and you can't name a player. Your whole thing was bs. Play your little daddy card which is bs.
Geeez, what are you, 12 years old? Your post doesn't even make sense.

Better RB prospects than Deuce who went after 212: Zach Evans, Kenny MacIntosh, Lew NichollsIII. There. Now, do your little childish thingie and deny that they're better, I'm sure that's all you got.

Sad part is, I liked the Deuce pick, hoped he could play at this level. Sadly, it doesn't appear so. I have zero issues w/ us throwing a late 6th at him because of his daddy. Why does that bother you?

rambo2

Reaction score
Geeez, what are you, 12 years old? Your post doesn't even make sense.

Better RB prospects than Deuce who went after 212: Zach Evans, Kenny MacIntosh, Lew NichollsIII. There. Now, do your little childish thingie and deny that they're better, I'm sure that's all you got.

Sad part is, I liked the Deuce pick, hoped he could play at this level. Sadly, it doesn't appear so. I have zero issues w/ us throwing a late 6th at him because of his daddy. Why does that bother you?
NFL consensus board
Deuce Vaughn 142
Kenny McIntosh 145
Lew Nichols 384
Zach Evans 110. Red flagged for character issues.

rambo2

Reaction score
Point being we don’t have a running ba k for 2024 season period. Which is cool let’s just go 95 percent passing. Go five wide every down and sling. Make dak get 8000 yards or cut him
Lol, they will draft at least 1 back and will sign a veteran. They have a full squad of running backs. They should draft a back in the 3rd round.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Get a rookie.

You can find a superstar at any point in the draft most years.
It's a big risk going into the season expecting a rookie to take the bulk of the snaps, and this team isn't in a position to run the risk. If you rookie busts, the offense is toast. The window of opportunity is closing rapidly and the coaches are all on one year deals. It wouldn't take much to bring in a solid veteran to compete. There are a bunch of good players hitting the market, and I don't see many teams spending big on a high risk position.

FWIW, most years, 70% or more of the top 10 rushers were picked in the first couple of rounds. There are good runners to be found later in the draft, but the hit rate isn't as successful as most seem to think. I would absolutely not be OK with a rookie 4th round pick or later being the penciled in as starter unless somebody drops dramatically. Our current depth players aren't bad, but I don't see any of them as starting level players at this time. Whatever rookie(s?) we bring in needs to earn the job by proving they belong in that spot.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Moss or Foreman would be nice fallbacks to pair with a rookie.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don’t need to..

RBs are usually about volume more than anything.

Easiest position in football to find.

Dallas needs to focus on run blocking and they’ll get good production from whoever the runner is.
We need an elite RB to dominate.

Scrubs won’t get the job done.

Never has.

We have scrubs.