Cowboys got lucky by not drafting Paxton Lynch

yimyammer

Reaction score
That is correct. If I’m not mistaken, Jerry almost traded to get him.

which begs the question....what makes a better GM?

Jethro?

or

373857_203648626393668_1135245174_n.jpg

or

giphy.gif

kevm3

Reaction score
A lot of people here wanted Lynch and didn't want dak, so can't really fault jerry too much

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of people here wanted Lynch and didn't want dak, so can't really fault jerry too much
Lynch was considered first round talent and if he busts, he will certainly not be the first. I do not fault Booger except he already had a QB1 and giving up a 2nd and 3rd for a backup, at best, would have been the mistake.

They took Prescott exactly where the scouts had him without giving up additional picks.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Please refresh my memory Weren't the cowboys looking to draft Lynch until the Broncos jumped ahead of them. From what I've seen tonight & last year. Thank you John Elway.

We also lucked out by not drafting Gavin Escobar w/ a 2nd rnd pick ...... wait, um, ......hmmm. Or by not drafting Steven Jackson.

This is a pointless thread.

cern

Reaction score
What on earth could make you think that? Do you think McClay actually makes any final decisions?
In 2016 jerry said unequivocally that when romo was cleared to play he would be the starter once again. From Jerry's lips to god's ear. But dak remained the starter. Earlier this year after Stephen said dez was a distraction to be dealt with, jerry said unequivocally dez would be a cowboy in 2018. But dez was outright released. Probably the 2 most important fo decisions and both went against Jerry's proclamations. That should be an obvious clue someone else is making those decisions. Stephen. And he listens to mcclay.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
In 2016 jerry said unequivocally that when romo was cleared to play he would be the starter once again. From Jerry's lips to god's ear. But dak remained the starter. Earlier this year after Stephen said dez was a distraction to be dealt with, jerry said unequivocally dez would be a cowboy in 2018. But dez was outright released. Probably the 2 most important fo decisions and both went against Jerry's proclamations. That should be an obvious clue someone else is making those decisions. Stephen. And he listens to mcclay.
Jerry also said T.O. wasn't going anywhere and Wade wasn't getting fired . I guess Jerry lost control of the team way back then. Jerry just likes to talk.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Is it any surprise that Jerry wanted to draft the wrong QB?

We’re also lucky to have Zack Martin rather than Johnny Manziel.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan.

Wentz >

Cowboys should come to me for QB advice. I'd love to know if they have Lynch higher rated then Wentz.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LOL. I love this mindset. Hey, a lot of people would have done it so can't fault the guy in charge responsible for the decisions.

No, actually you can. His job isn't to make the popular decisions but the right ones. Anybody can take a poll. That doesn't take skill.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. I love this mindset. Hey, a lot of people would have done it so can't fault the guy in charge responsible for the decisions.

No, actually you can. His job isn't to make the popular decisions but the right ones. Anybody can take a poll. That doesn't take skill.

LOL...So dallas would not give up the third round pick and missed out on the player and people are blaming Dallas for almost trading to get him since he turned out to be a bum.

However I am willing to guarantee you that if he turned out to be a good player, the same people blaming him for ALMOST making a terrible trade, would rake him over the coals for NOT making the trade and giving up the three.

Some people want it both ways so they can be sure to be able to complain about it.

Some people are like old bitter women who love nothing more than to whine and complain about everything in life.

It's always funny how some are willing to say you do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB...unless a player that some viewed as a Franchise player turns out to be a bum...then it was a pick nobody should make or trade for.
Damned if you do Damned if you don't.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know how he was this offseason.

But last off season there were some reports out that he did not take the job as serious as most QBs do.

You often hear about some QBs that a team considers a Franchise Player will come in well before the mandated training camp time and stay over well after practice is over.

You see some QBs coming in at 4-5 am and studying film, asking coaches questions, throwing balls, asking other players to come in so they can get some timing down with them.
After the others are going home they stay over and practice throwing some more, ask other players to stay over to get timing down, do film work or ask coaches questions.

The definition of a gym rat, someone who puts everything in, who works harder than others without being told to do so...because they want to do well. The first one there in the morning and the last one to leave.

Word is that Paxton Lynch was NOT that way at all.

He would come in when it was time to practice and he would leave when practice was over.

Again...Don't know if he changed that THIS off season, but that was some of the criticism going around last year when they gave him a legit chance to become the starter.

Funny thing is, he was considered a mid to late first rounder or high second rounder by most publications prior to the draft. Even given that most will elevate many QBs higher than they should.

So Most teams would view him at that level. And just like many years in the draft, some QBs live up to that and some do not.

So many have been picked in the top 10 over all and have not panned out.
Some later have panned out.

Just never know with QBs.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
On Lynch he tried but just got outbidded " thank God" and son talked sense into him about money. He thought Quincy was the man but the rooster finally came home to roost on that pick. I'm sleep now!
Which means he wasn't willing to overpay. That's...good. Right?

Lynch hasn't worked out but he went in the range of his draft stock.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Disagree.

He was not a consensus 1st round QB. If you think so, you didn't read a whole lot of what scouts were saying about him!!!!

His skillset/deameanor/refusal to study and some other factors point to the mid rounds. Maybe you're listening too much to the spewing heads on TV?
I don't think the word consensus means what you think it does.

Prime21

Reaction score
So sick of hearing about this. This stuff happens to every team. Also Lynch might be better behind our OLine with Zeke in the backfield.

We did not luck into Dak. We did our homework and invested incredible time and effort into scouting Dak, more so that probably every other team.

Our scouting has been fantastic for years now. Finally after always getting shafted in trades we are demanding better value. We are reaping the benefits and doing well because we deserve to be doing well.

This is who we are. Scout well. Get your core players in the draft. Value trades and value FAs to fill out the roster. This is how great organizations are run. If Dak proves this year that he is the guy then we open up a decade long championship window.

This is not luck.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think the word consensus means what you think it does.
Sure. It means an opinion held by all or most. I would say possibly a lot thought he was, but IMO it was short of being a consensus opinion. I heard and read way too many people in the negative about him to think it was consensus.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh common, nobody even mentioned Dak on here prior to the draft. There were no "lets draft dak prescott" threads. People were comparing him to Tebow since they ran basically the same college offense. Lynch was the higher rated prospect and really.........what else is there to go on? Jerry lucked out big time and his laments about missing out on Lynch are well documented. So, you can't make the argument that Jerry preferred Dak.

All this proves is that sometimes its better to be lucky than good. Once in a while, the blind squirrel will find an acorn.