Cowboys got lucky by not drafting Paxton Lynch

erod

Reaction score
So sick of hearing about this. This stuff happens to every team. Also Lynch might be better behind our OLine with Zeke in the backfield.

We did not luck into Dak. We did our homework and invested incredible time and effort into scouting Dak, more so that probably every other team.

Our scouting has been fantastic for years now. Finally after always getting shafted in trades we are demanding better value. We are reaping the benefits and doing well because we deserve to be doing well.

This is who we are. Scout well. Get your core players in the draft. Value trades and value FAs to fill out the roster. This is how great organizations are run. If Dak proves this year that he is the guy then we open up a decade long championship window.

This is not luck.

This is simply not true.

The Cowboys tried to trade up to draft Paxton Lynch, but Denver outbid Dallas for him.

Then, the Cowboys tried to draft Connor Cook, but the Raiders got him first.

So, after passing on Dak four times, they took him essentially in the 5th round (it was a comp pick).

The truth is, Dallas invested a lot of time on Dak and came to the same conclusion as everybody else. That he wasn't a franchise quarterback.

So any and all success had with Dak is simply pure, dumb luck for the Cowboys. Just like it was with Tony Romo.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup. No idea how people can turn around and pretend he somehow was not considered a first round talent. Really shows bias and lack of the ability to be objective.
Or, not having the ability to consider all aspects and all opinions shows an extreme predisposition toward being small minded.

Do we have to throw these stupid small insults around? I mean, are you capable of an adult discussion and being able to accept that others don't have your viewpoint?

The predraft and during-draft reports were absolutely littered w/ reports of Johnny's partying and bad attitude. And then add in the reports that he wouldn't work hard or study a playbook. It wasn't an accident that he slid to the 22nd pick, this consensus top 5 pick. And who knows where he'd have gone if CLEV hadn't bit?

Anyway, I respect your opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is simply not true.

The Cowboys tried to trade up to draft Paxton Lynch, but Denver outbid Dallas for him.

Then, the Cowboys tried to draft Connor Cook, but the Raiders got him first.

So, after passing on Dak four times, they took him essentially in the 5th round (it was a comp pick).

The truth is, Dallas invested a lot of time on Dak and came to the same conclusion as everybody else. That he wasn't a franchise quarterback.

So any and all success had with Dak is simply pure, dumb luck for the Cowboys. Just like it was with Tony Romo.
Patently true.

If you really like a QB, you don't wait til the mid rounds to draft him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Please refresh my memory Weren't the cowboys looking to draft Lynch until the Broncos jumped ahead of them. From what I've seen tonight & last year. Thank you John Elway.

Jerry loved the guy. Johnny Cocaine would have been draft instead of Martin too! Recent reminders of how terrible a football guy Jerry is. Lynch was a tall, skinny, slow release Memphis QB. Yeah what a shocker that has not worked!

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Sure. It means an opinion held by all or most. I would say possibly a lot thought he was, but IMO it was short of being a consensus opinion. I heard and read way too many people in the negative about him to think it was consensus.

The dude was in discussion of going first overall and yet you question if he was a consensus first rounder to fit an agenda. Come on man.

Or, not having the ability to consider all aspects and all opinions shows an extreme predisposition toward being small minded.

Do we have to throw these stupid small insults around? I mean, are you capable of an adult discussion and being able to accept that others don't have your viewpoint?

The predraft and during-draft reports were absolutely littered w/ reports of Johnny's partying and bad attitude. And then add in the reports that he wouldn't work hard or study a playbook. It wasn't an accident that he slid to the 22nd pick, this consensus top 5 pick. And who knows where he'd have gone if CLEV hadn't bit?

Anyway, I respect your opinion.
There are such things as objective truth.

Manziel being a consensus first rounder (I never said consensus top 5) is objective truth.

No interest in debating alternative facts. Manziel was considered a first rounder by consensus and he went in the first round.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Which means he wasn't willing to overpay. That's...good. Right?

Lynch hasn't worked out but he went in the range of his draft stock.

Agree, but old jerrah was willing because he cast his rod in the ocean first but then John Elway cast his rod and it was bigger and to my knowledge they did not give old jerrah a chance to counter offer. I may be wrong but when they got the horses offer they jumped all over it and thank the Lord for that or we would have more mess on our hands like we had in between Troy and Romo. Just think of all those QB's including our backups.

kskboys

Reaction score
The dude was in discussion of going first overall and yet you question if he was a consensus first rounder to fit an agenda. Come on man.

There are such things as objective truth.

Manziel being a consensus first rounder (I never said consensus top 5) is objective truth.

No interest in debating alternative facts. Manziel was considered a first rounder by consensus and he went in the first round.
That is much better!!!

John813

Reaction score
And Parcells was high on Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson. None of these things are an exact science.

He was?
Henson and Hutchinson were both former pitchers that Jerry had a fetish over in the early 2000's.

Hutch was brought in before Parcells and he never started for us.
Henson was a Jerry Jones trade.

On Thursday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he was intrigued by Henson, who worked out for Dallas on March 1. And on Friday, Jones worked out an eight-year deal, with the final four years voidable.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2558805

When a Bears official kidded Chad Hutchinson on Monday that he should have signed with the Bears when first offered the chance in 2001, he didn't disagree.

"Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind," Hutchinson replied.

His two seasons in Dallas showed more potential than consistency. He looked tentative at times during nine starts his rookie season in 2002 in place of the injured Quincy Carter.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

When Bill Parcells took over the next season, Parcells never seemed to forgive Hutchinson for asking the coach for a better definition of his role. He lost favor with Parcells and the position battle to Carter.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...80224_1_bears-chad-hutchinson-spring-training

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
At the time, Lynch appeared to be the best QB not yet drafted. I was pulling for getting him. Glad I didn't get my way. You just never know.

csirl

Reaction score
As a player, Elway had inate naturally good QB instincts to go with his physical ability. However as a GM he does not understand how QBs with physical ability equal or better than he had cannot be elite QBs. He does not understand that the instincts cannot be coached as in his own case he was a rare talent where they did not need coaching.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I never wanted Paxton Lynch, Dak was the QB I wanted and I'm glad we got him

Coach Vance Joseph announced sophomore Chad Kelly is the Broncos' new No. 2 quarterback.

Kelly will be second in the game this week after Case Keenum. Paxton Lynch has been demoted to third string, and Joseph admitted the former first-rounder "has potential, but has to start performing." Lynch has been pretty dreadful ever since entering the league, and Kelly easily leapfrogged him after a single preseason outing over the weekend. Kelly went 14-of-21 for 177 yards, two scores, and a pick against the Vikings' threes. Lynch may no longer be on "scholarship" in Denver and isn't a lock to make the team's final 53-man roster.

Source - Rotorworld.com

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
He was?
Henson and Hutchinson were both former pitchers that Jerry had a fetish over in the early 2000's.

On Thursday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he was intrigued by Henson, who worked out for Dallas on March 1. And on Friday, Jones worked out an eight-year deal, with the final four years voidable.

When a Bears official kidded Chad Hutchinson on Monday that he should have signed with the Bears when first offered the chance in 2001, he didn't disagree.

His two seasons in Dallas showed more potential than consistency. He looked tentative at times during nine starts his rookie season in 2002 in place of the injured Quincy Carter.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

When Bill Parcells took over the next season, Parcells never seemed to forgive Hutchinson for asking the coach for a better definition of his role. He lost favor with Parcells and the position battle to Carter.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...80224_1_bears-chad-hutchinson-spring-training

This! Has old jerrah written all over it. Like I said from Troy to Tony has been a train wreck of QB's. Throw Ryan Leaf in here to.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
And Parcells was high on Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson. None of these things are an exact science.
Even science can be a bs;)
As for Paxton Lynch I think the issue could be the Broncos maybe if he change team change system he can find his groove back.I won't write him off totally yet.

Dre11

Reaction score
He was?

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Even science can be a bs;)
As for Paxton Lynch I think the issue could be the Broncos maybe if he change team change system he can find his groove back.I won't write him off totally yet.

I don't either, but everyone knew he was raw. Here if he was drafted, the plan was for him to sit for at 1-2 years. IIRC, they were hoping to get at least 1-2 more years out of Romo.