Cowboys have the 19th pick

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
More important than draft number is the ability to evaluate talent and then draft smart. There are things this organization has been doing of late that I don't approve of. However, I do think the team has improved its drafting in recent years. Passing on Manziel in favor of a much-needed lineman was a turning point IMO. This could be a playoff team in 2018 if we draft smart and maybe make an intelligent free agent move. A few things come to mind:

1. Need to know where we stand with Tyron Smith. He went down with injury and was relieved by turnstiles. If Smith comes back in great form and can stay healthy, that's one thing. If he's on his way out due to injury bugginess, that's another. In either case, we need to draft an O-lineman. It will either be much-needed depth or Smith's heir apparent. What we cannot have is an outstanding O-line that gets neutered by having a turnstile come in to replace an outstanding lineman. Granted you can't expect to keep a would-be pro bowler as second string. However, your backup linemen must be competent! You second stringer needs to be able to come in and hold his own, not get run over and cause your QB to get killed. So I see two possibilities, depending on the situation. One: If Smith is one his way out, but still has ability, draft his replacement and Smith backs up. Two: If Smith is still the guy, you draft a quality depth guy to back him up (and other line positions). You make the decision by figuring out exactly where you are with Smith.
2. Need to know where we are with Dak. Was he the steal QB of his draft who has had some sophomore growing pains or was he fool's gold? As Romo said in his statement when he conceded the job to Dak, football is a meritocracy. It's about what you can do for the team now, not about what has been done in the past. Dak showed some accuracy problems and reading defense problems. Is he another RG3 who had a great rookie season and then caved in or is he another Russel Wilson who had a rough time in his sophomore season? If the latter, then he needs improvement in the rough areas. The offense needs to be designed to maximize his strengths and to hide his weaknesses. Use the running game fer crisesakes! When you're in a game that can help you into the playoffs and you're inside the 5, RUN the stinkin' ball! Don't put it all on Dak's shoulders. On the other hand, if he's fool's gold, then we'd better draft a QB and further evaluate Cooper Rush to see if he's the real deal. He might be. We don't know for sure right now.
3. The offense is dated and generic. It needs to be designed to maximize the personnel we have. This is why figuring out #2 is so important. This is not a team designed to start pass happy to set up the run. It's the opposite. This is a run first offense. Do that to open things up to the pass, and then do passes that are designed to maximize success with whomever the QB is. Better figure out if Dak's the guy or not. I did notice a pattern. Dak's poor accuracy often came after he had gotten his bell rung. It's all inter-related. If an O-lineman goes down and his replacement is a turnstile, your QB can't be effective.
4. We'd better have a way to stretch the field. When the run is established, we have to take shots down the field. Short passes are fine, but an offense can't live by that alone. Make defenses stay honest and have to cover the whole field. Dez wasn't looking like Dez. I suspect we're close to needing to part ways, that is unless he still has it and comes to camp looking a lot better. Bring in another WR to at least compete with Dez. This offense was dangerous in 2014 and 2016 partly because we could stretch the field.
5. The good news is this defense has improved a lot. I was wishing we could have used this defense with the 2014 or the 2016 O. We need another quality linebacker besides Sean Lee. In '14 it looked like Rolando McClain was the guy. He turned out to be a flash in the pan. Jaylon Smith looked lost at times; at other times he showed a few flashes. We may need to draft or free agent market in that area.
6. It pains me to write this, but bring another kicker to camp. After Bailey returned from injury, he looked awful. It may simply be that he came back too early and he'll be fine. Or he may have lost his greatness. The team would have been better off keeping Nugent longer. We must find out where Bailey is. Bring in a free agent kicker to camp to compete. If Bailey turns out to be back to form, then we let the free agent go. If Bailey shows he's no longer a quality kicker, then at least we have another option to start off the season with. What we don't want to do is just assume Bailey will be fine. Have a contingency plan in place in case he's not. I would much prefer Bailey to be back in form. He's been the best kicker this team has ever had. Just be prepared in case he's become vanderjagted.
7. Game time adjustments. This is a huge sore spot, and frankly I'm the most skeptical that the team will find a way to address it. I actually think Garrett is a good motivator and a pretty good evaluator of talent. But his ability to adjust his game plan to adversity has more red flags than the Chinese Army. He's just not any good at it. I'm honestly at a loss as to how he could improve at it. Of course, the obvious choice would be to fire him and replace him with a better coach, but I don't think Jerry's going to do that. I'm at a loss as to what to do and am open to ideas. Maybe bring in a quality ex coach like Parcells or (harhum, Jimmy) and go over the season's game film with him showing him where his ability to adjust stinks. That's all I can think of if he's not fired.

All right. Enough of my insomniac ramblings. Would be nice if this team were a lot better in '18.

Chappy

Reaction score
Does not matter who we draft or what number pick we have cause we still will have Garrett coaching us and mentoring our younger players.

Until this changes and Garrett is gone we are forever going to be hovering at 500 every season and losing the games that matter most.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
Teams traded up for Mahomes and Watson. Neither player put their team in the playoffs this year.

Not a fair comparison as Mahomes was never expected to start and Watson was injured (but was KILLING it before then). Not that I care about trading up...just sayin.

Last edited:

lk8701

Reaction score
Vita Vea
he would be perfect
long arms
6'5" 350lbs looks just like Damon Harrison only more athletic
pops the dudes in front of him and holds them out there at arms length then just rips them aside to make the stop if the ball comes his way
he would help a lesser lb stay clean and you dont run at him without help

Bennie Logan, Dontari Poe, and Star Lotulelei will be free agents. 1 techs are relatively cheap in free agency.

rkell87

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner? Donta Hightower, Navarro bowman. Etc
And besides that the ones with injury and character concerns still play very well and have little outside repercussions other than Navarro bowman for the most part. I'd take Rolando McClain back Brandon spikes Vontaze burcfiet Ryan Shazier and more

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Watching us lose Roquan Smith today and struggling to beat 3rd stringers
1449337210266.gif

So you're clairvoyant and see him going picks 16 - 18?

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Vita Vea
he would be perfect
long arms
6'5" 350lbs looks just like Damon Harrison only more athletic
pops the dudes in front of him and holds them out there at arms length then just rips them aside to make the stop if the ball comes his way
he would help a lesser lb stay clean and you dont run at him without help

I'm sold. Even if he doesn't do the Samoan fire dance after each sack.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
And besides that the ones with injury and character concerns still play very well and have little outside repercussions other than Navarro bowman for the most part. I'd take Rolando McClain back Brandon spikes Vontaze burcfiet Ryan Shazier and more
If we want Roquan (who will not even be a top ten pick imo) we can “settle” for Rashaan Evans if we want a young, talented lb.

It’ll be funny how people all of a sudden hop on this dude in march.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's my research.

The Eagles and Rams say it was beneficial to their franchises to trade up for Carson Wentz and Jarod Goff.
I'm not sure on this, but I think they answered that question while printing playoff tickets for their respective home crowds.
Exactly.

theanimal23

Reaction score
Why do we have the #19 pick when others also have the same record as us? Coin flips already done?