Cowboys having positive talks with Prescott/France on deal

Sydla

Reaction score
I just don't get their approach here.

Great, they have faith in Dak. It's not a crazy stance to have. But it's clear to even some of his biggest fans, that Dak isn't Mahomes or a QB that can take a team and carry them when things go awry. For Dak to succeed, things around him have to be clicking as well.

So it begs the question why would you commit all that money to Dak and then just kind of nibble with a roster that was clearly not good enough to make a run last year? I mean I am all for not spending top resources on a TB but what they did this offseason was laughable. And knowing Dak will perform better if he has a better run game and that's the plan they come up with? Oy.

Stephen and Jerry just seem to make moves in a vacuum. Meaning, there is no plan or vision. There are no interconnected moves here. They just accumulate players and hope a coach can piece them together. They need a QB. Ok sign Dak. But there should be a plan here - Dak is what he is so to make sure we get the most out of him, given his flaws, we also need to do A, B and C. And yet, there is A or B, maybe a C. Take this offseason. I think one can argue that they needed to fix the run game and frankly, they could have also maybe brough in another WR as Dak would benefit from having more targets. So they kind of half *** tinker with the OL, drafting Guyton but then not much else. Their RB plan was chuckleworthy - Elliott as the solution with Dowdle? LOL. And they don't do anything at WR. So there was no plan to help Dak here. Just sign him and hope the rest falls into place.

Their logic seems to be, "hey, he's a good player, sign him............."

Then cross your fingers and hope.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Great, they have faith in Dak. It's not a crazy stance to have. But it's clear to even some of his biggest fans, that Dak isn't Mahomes or a QB that can take a team and carry them when things go awry. For Dak to succeed, things around him have to be clicking as well.

So it begs the question why would you commit all that money to Dak and then just kind of nibble with a roster that was clearly not good enough to make a run last year? I mean I am all for not spending top resources on a TB but what they did this offseason was laughable. And knowing Dak will perform better if he has a better run game and that's the plan they come up with? Oy.

Stephen and Jerry just seem to make moves in a vacuum. Meaning, there is no plan or vision. There are no interconnected moves here. They just accumulate players and hope a coach can piece them together. They need a QB. Ok sign Dak. But there should be a plan here - Dak is what he is so to make sure we get the most out of him, given his flaws, we also need to do A, B and C. And yet, there is A or B, maybe a C. Take this offseason. I think one can argue that they needed to fix the run game and frankly, they could have also maybe brough in another WR as Dak would benefit from having more targets. So they kind of half *** tinker with the OL, drafting Guyton but then not much else. Their RB plan was chuckleworthy - Elliott as the solution with Dowdle? LOL. And they don't do anything at WR. So there was no plan to help Dak here. Just sign him and hope the rest falls into place.

It’s the same logic every team in the league has. Lots of crossed fingers and a lot of hope. Hope it’s for a minimum $56 million AAV forcing the Packers and 49ers to have to throw down. Like the Eagles did ponying up dollars for two receivers. Forcing other teams to commit finances to their wide outs. Already Aiyuk wants his. Higgins reluctantly signed his tag. CeeDee expects serious consideration on an extension. Jerry needs to get out in front of it. Not wait for leaves to fall.

Carson

Reaction score
Pretty standard as most figured.

Some figured it would be done pre free agency to free up cap. But I figured Dak would wait for the last minute

Nav22

Reaction score
I think what would break my back as far as rooting for him is if he took a 2 or 3 year deal for 60 million APY, NTC, no franchise tag clause , and a massive signing bonus like 70-100 million. That would show that he cares nothing for the team and winning. That contract would cripple the team regardless of how any Dak fan wants to spin it. And if Jerry and Stupid sign him to that then my knee jerk reaction right now is to root for 0-17 seasons. I would do that because I would want Jerry, Stephen and Dak to lose every game until the life of the contract is over.

I’ve never felt this way before. But if this scenario played out, signing Dak to a 3 year 180 with Dak getting everything he wants I truly believe it would be in the best interest of the franchise they lose every game, or go 3-14/2-15, because that would expose Stephen as a horrible GM and in 3 years Jerry may be gone. Bookmark this. I would easily go 0-17 or close to that for 3 or 4 years if it meant a real GM, with real football knowledge, is put in place for the future. And a possible culture change and the HC has the freedom to be a HC and not a puppet. I would gladly go 0-17 for a couple seasons if that were at the end of the tunnel.
Which part of that plan involves Stephen stepping aside like that?

He's already been "exposed" for years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I’m still hoping for a Dak Zone so ppl can have at it and this board has more than 2 subjects lol

Wait. There are players besides Dak on the Cowboys?

wow-i-didnt-6a3ec24094.jpg

Blitzen

Reaction score
If Dak is re-signed off of a deal with a no-trade clause, why would he accept one with no no-trade clause? Hes not negotiating a downgrade; It will almost certainly have one as well.

Additionally, in the unlikely event he doesn’t have one, he will never sign a deal with no guaranteed money. So once the deal is signed, trading him in 2025 will cost the Cowboys something north of 100m$ on the cap

Stop that, only slow people think signing Dak long-term is a poor decision. And the contract will be beneficial to Cowboys’ fans in the regular season can’t you see.

leeblair

Reaction score
Just anticipating your departure as you’ve stated if Dak is extended you’re gone. Holding you accountable.
My days of being a Cowboys fan may finally be over, but I still like discussing football.
But I am not a fan of what the Cowboys have stood for in over 17 years. First Jason Garrett and now Dak, with plenty of wasted years, talent and hundreds of millions of dollars on pet cats of Jerry's like Marion Barber Jr and others who held back the team over the years and dealing with so-called "fans" like you that only care about one player and not the Cowboys have contributed to destroying the greatest franchise in sports.
But yes; my years of hoping they will return to being the franchise I once loved will likely be over if they re-sign Dak Prescott to a long term deal. While I will always hope a little, I will no longer really care.
Truthfully, I already no longer care.
But I do care about the misrepresentation of stats and other trash guys like you post to try and spread your pro-Dak propaganda, and I love calling you out so others are not deceived.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dak fans will be relieved of an agreement is reached. Because the fear of that castoff will be less.
I hope they do not keep that no trade clause beyond this year though.

I will root for him regardless signed or not. Because he is our starting QB.
I’m with you. The only thing more dumb than giving him the no tag and no trade clauses would be to let him walk for nothing while also having nothing at the position. Sign him, and if you decide to blow the team up in the next two years, trade him.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I can assure you there will be several teams lining up if he becomes a free agent. He’ll be the most sought after free agent we’ve seen in years. I think the Cowboys will extend him for the reasons I’ve given, they have nothing behind him.
Whether you like him or not this quote is true. There's a reason why pro bowl caliber QBs, LTs, and DEs hardly ever hit free agency. He would be extremely sought after just on that alone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mountaineer's head will explode.

My only issue with this is that I don't buy that negotiations took this long. I think if Dallas and Stephen/Jerry wanted this done back in March, it would have happened. But if they did cut that deal back then, it would have opened up cap space and there was no chance Jerry and Stephen wanted to try to explain why they did literally nothing in FA other than a vet LB in FA to make this team better after getting steamrolled in January.
The key point in this post is that you don’t know.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They’re going to do it probably because Dak led the league in TD passes last year, also lead the league in accuracy and also happened to be runner up in NFL MVP voting. Did I mention he was an All Pro? Pro Bowler? Haters are blinded by their hate. They can’t see the forest because of the trees.

GoldenR

Reaction score
Possibly 3-4 more years of playoff futility with record pick sixes to add to the playoff legacy. 2-5 and singlehandedly losing games. Can't wait.