Signed by Cowboys Cowboys hire Brian Schottenheimer as Offensive Coordinator

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes Gibbs/Robinson and Pollard. My thing is i would put the transitional tag on Pollard. Let someone offer him. We can match or get a second round pick out of it.
I'm concerned that the Jones are so stubbornly sold on bringing good ole buddy favorite, lumbering Zeke back, that this may cost us a chance to draft a splashy back (in a strong RB class)
in the early rounds.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Who really comes to a team to run someone else's offense?? I don't get it, I hope Brian isn't the real fall guy if things were to go wrong this season. It's all on Mike in calling plays, know what's going on and put us in the best situation to win! Let's go Dallas!!!

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm concerned that the Jones are so stubbornly sold on bringing good ole buddy favorite, lumbering Zeke back, that this may cost us a chance to draft a splashy back (in a strong RB class)
in the early rounds.
I think Zeke will be back on a team friendly deal. Or sent packing. We will see.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Anyone wanting a much better running game and a lot of play-action, should be thrilled with the Shottenheimer/Solari pairing.

In fact, the primary problem that Shottenheimer was criticized for in Seattle was his lack of creativity as a play caller, not his offensive design. Luckily for us, McCarthy will be calling plays, so Brian will just be implementing the offense. An offense that will be much better running the ball and will use a ton of play action…something that I have been begging the team to do for years now.

With Shottenheimer/Solari, the offense will be much tougher and will play hard-nosed football. And, as PFF says:

Cowboys fans will be happy to hear that hiring Schottenheimer would likely mean a move away from the hitch/curl routes that were so frequently leaned on during Moore's tenure as offensive coordinator. The Cowboys targeted hitch routes the fourth most in the NFL; however, Schottenheimer appears to favor routes where his receivers are on the move rather than a stationary target, as his offenses are littered with drive, shallow-cross, spear and “China” passing game concepts — none of which have a stop, curl or hitch route baked into the basic play.”
It's not hard to improve at OC, even we hire someone bad, because Moore was REALLY bad. But hard to get too excited when we don't have a QB who can hit WRs on the move. I will agree that it will be nice to see play action.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
MM's job is to fix the passing game and becoming more efficient, the likes of Schott/Solari and a new RB coach will be about fixing the run game schemes to be able to run the football better. This has been the bigger issue the last 2 seasons that nobody mentions, run game was terrible down the stretch and in the playoffs.
Apparently the team didn't like what Philbin was doing schemewise. It makes sense, this team is built to just drive the ball down your throat with this OL. There was a play vs TB where Dallas ran to the right, and Moore had Peter's pull across the line to block the DE or OLB, Peter's couldn't get across and DE blew up the run play. I think the next play or couldve been a couple is when he got hurt.

Just seems like everything was trying to get your players to adapt to your system, instead of adjusting your system to players strengths.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yes. No more 2nd most productive offense.

Rejoice.
Not that this point is not a valid one to have, its that you like the OC but think the QB of the 2nd most productive offense is garbage even though the OC's offense was garbage without the QB you dont like..thats why its hard to take that point seriously.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Apparently the team didn't like what Philbin was doing schemewise. It makes sense, this team is built to just drive the ball down your throat with this OL. There was a play vs TB where Dallas ran to the right, and Moore had Peter's pull across the line to block the DE or OLB, Peter's couldn't get across and DE blew up the run play. I think the next play or couldve been a couple is when he got hurt.

Just seems like everything was trying to get your players to adapt to your system, instead of adjusting your system to players strengths.
I noticed that too, KM seemed to ask the players to do some stuff not suited for their strenghts, like having Peters or Tyron on the move against much faster DB's or LB's, and other times McGovern or Biadasz trying to push straight forward against powerful DT's, seemed to me that the Garretesque "just beat the man in front of you" philosophy was very present on a lot of the offensive scheme.

Haimerej

Reaction score
the OC's offense was garbage without the QB you dont like
This is such a lazy talking point. The offense was efficient with a guy sporting a high school arm. You look at total numbers and say they sucked, forgetting they only passed 16 times against the Rams because the Rams forgot to come out in the 2nd half.

They beat WAS with a slightly less productive run game than Dak had in week 18 (to be fair it sucked in both games). Peters hadn't even dressed yet and it was Gallup's first game on limited snaps. Cooper was throwing to guys like Fehoko and the 3rd rounder who couldn't get on the field with Dak prior to that week. They put up 25 points. Dak got 6 in week 18 with Tyron, Peters, TY Hilton, and Gallup getting full snaps. You going to say Dak missing Steele was the big difference maker between those two supporting casts?

And no, I'm not saying Cooper is "better than Dak." (I'll say he was better than Dak against Washington this year) Just don't miss the point that this is about the OC and playcalling. That's an apples to apples comparison too.

lk8701

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to hire minority coordinators for draft compensation. The Niners got 6 compensatory 3rd round picks from Robert Saleh, DeMeco Ryans, and Mike McDaniel getting hired as head coaches. Play chess not checkers.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This is such a lazy talking point. The offense was efficient with a guy sporting a high school arm. You look at total numbers and say they sucked, forgetting they only passed 16 times against the Rams because the Rams forgot to come out in the 2nd half.

They beat WAS with a slightly less productive run game than Dak had in week 18 (to be fair it sucked in both games). Peters hadn't even dressed yet and it was Gallup's first game on limited snaps. Cooper was throwing to guys like Fehoko and the 3rd rounder who couldn't get on the field with Dak prior to that week. They put up 25 points. Dak got 6 in week 18 with Tyron, Peters, TY Hilton, and Gallup getting full snaps. You going to say Dak missing Steele was the big difference maker between those two supporting casts?

And no, I'm not saying Cooper is "better than Dak." (I'll say he was better than Dak against Washington this year) Just don't miss the point that this is about the OC and playcalling. That's an apples to apples comparison too.
Its not when the "Its the 2nd rank offense" is used by anyone who thinks the QB is garbage...sorry those 2 things dont go together...like i said the use of 2nd ranked offense is valid when discussing the OC, i pointed that out first, just not when you think it was 2nd ranked Despite the QB when without that QB it was no where close to 2nd ranked.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Its not when the "Its the 2nd rank offense" is used by anyone who thinks the QB is garbage...sorry those 2 things dont go together...like i said the use of 2nd ranked offense is valid when discussing the OC, i pointed that out first, just not when you think it was 2nd ranked Despite the QB when without that QB it was no where close to 2nd ranked.
No one worth listening to thinks Dak is truly garbage, just like no one worth listening to thinks we're going to win a championship with him at the helm.

Also, backups don't run offenses as well as starters. So if your big point is they weren’t as good with their backup, that's not a very big criticism.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not that this point is not a valid one to have, its that you like the OC but think the QB of the 2nd most productive offense is garbage even though the OC's offense was garbage without the QB you dont like..thats why its hard to take that point seriously.
I think the OL is solid at best, the skill positions are mediocre and the QB is trash.

Yet the offense produced. Hence my stance on the coordinator.

This isn't complicated.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
No one worth listening to thinks Dak is truly garbage, just like no one worth listening to thinks we're going to win a championship with him at the helm.

Also, backups don't run offenses as well as starters. So if your big point is they weren’t as good with their backup, that's not a very big criticism.
No and really what the OC did with Rush is more Praise from me than anything as only an ego maniac (there are plenty of these coaches) plugs Rush in and tries to run the same offense.. so i give KM kudo's for that. My point was simply saying dont use the #2 offense trump card for the OC and tell me it was inspite of the QB. I also do believe it was time for KM to go and for no other reason than Dak can not go right now so something had to give to have a shot at moving forward.