Signed by Cowboys Cowboys hire Jeff Zgonina as DL Coach

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Intriguing to me how Zimmer has such a history of rarely ever hiring any of his former staff members. Yes, he wanted his old pal Andre Patterson for the job, but was stonewalled by NYG, but that's been the exception. Wonder what his thinking is. Part of it, no doubt, is just exactly this thing where you can't get guys you'd like to have if they're under contract. But it's plausible he actually prefers to work with new faces. Dunno.
Maybe Zimmer tries to find the best available instead of playing the patronage game and hiring "his guys"?

I dare to dream.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Maybe Zimmer tries to find the best available instead of playing the patronage game and hiring "his guys"?

I dare to dream.
Related, sometimes you learn who you want to have on your next staff.

Sometimes, though, you also learn who you don't want to have on your next staff. And and... same coin, other side... guys learn who they don't want to work for.

Given more thought, I'm leaning toward Zimmer being the kind of guy who is as hard on his assistants as he is on players... and that might be the bottom line here.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Put this in the wrong thread. People are underrating this guy I think. Everywhere he has gone since 2013 has seen success.

New DL coached worked with Watt in Houston. That line was outstanding.

He then worked for a talented Giants line with Harrison, JPP, Vernon, and our very own Hankins for a year.

He was Shanahan's DL coach for his first three years in SF working with Bosa, Armstead, and Buckner.

We know about the talent he has developed for the commodes the last few years to only trade it away.

I have never heard of the guy but he has worked with successful, improving defenses and players where he has worked. Really want to hear from the guy.
Could get our guys over the hump.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Related, sometimes you learn who you want to have on your next staff.

Sometimes, though, you also learn who you don't want to have on your next staff. And and... same coin, other side... guys learn who they don't want to work for.

Given more thought, I'm leaning toward Zimmer being the kind of guy who is as hard on his assistants as he is on players... and that might be the bottom line here.
Coaching in the NFL is a community. Everyone knows who is who.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Coaching in the NFL is a community. Everyone knows who is who.
Not sure where you're going with that. A head coach in Atlanta doesn't really have any understanding of what a given position coach down the road in Jacksonville is like to work with.... especially, to the degree that a given position coach is newer. Even if we assume they know names, that's not really the topic here... working beside someone is a different thing than knowing their name, of course.

Bagman

Reaction score
Zimmer and Zgonina. Zalapski and Zidenfraus are next !!!! We're going to the Super Bowl, guys.

quickccc

Reaction score
Zimmer plays an over front. We have been running an under front since Kiffin/Marinelli.

DLaw is a much better fit for this front as opposed to selling out for rush 1v1s like the under does. Osa would play 3T next to him as well.

I would love to add a Pat Williams like Zim enjoyed in Minnesota but our cupboard is not exactly bare either. With DLaw and Parsons we already have our Hunter and Griffin for the front. Let's see what happens.
So who would be our All pro, 3 tech stud Kevin Williams ...?