CFZ Cowboys hype was overblown and fans are reeling

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed. you go to SF and lose 27-21, something like that in a dog fight, you can walk away with a lot of positives even in a loss.

Getting b slapped up one side of the field and down the other for 60 solid minutes, there's nothing positive or encouraging to take away from that.
Just a savage beating, top to bottom. Horrible.
We didn’t feel better after close losses in last two playoffs to SF.

A loss is a a loss . Blowouts are less painful . You know there was nothing that would have made a difference . Not one play, a possession, etc.

All I took away from this loss is the Gap is wider than it was last year .

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s more successful than not making the playoffs.

Nothing worse than less than 17 meaningful games and possibly more.

Especially with an ownership there’s no guarantee the changes you’d want would come in the event of less success.

The SB or Bust mentality is as bad as those so gullible buying into hype .
The only thing getting into the playoffs and losing immediately does is lower your draft pick, right?
The playoffs don't have the meaning they once carried.
To me, making it to the championship game is the equivalent of the playoffs in the old days. Anything less than that, you might as well be 5 and 12. Because frankly, you need the draft picks.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think I understand Jerry and the Cowboys strategy. They couldn't be as bad as they looked Sunday night. The Cowboys laid down and took a savage beating to get into the 49ers heads. Come playoffs, when they meet again, the Cowboys will awaken and unleash their fury.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
in Jerrys view, winning has a different meaning. For him, winning is net worth, the family business profit margins and side ventures. Just is. Thats how he measures team success. We as a fan look at it with tunnel vision, meaning...wins vs losses and Super Bowls. He no longer views it that way and I think age has changed his thinking. Because he knows he has little time left and the business will be left to family. I hate it but its the truth. We gage winning differently than the Jones Boys do. As long as the product on the field is fair to middling...hovering at .500 or slightly better, that IS winning in his eyes and keeping profits in the black.
Just wait until Jerry sees all the Cowboys jerseys in the stands Monday night.....he will claim success....as to how popular they are, and never mind the play on the field.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing getting into the playoffs and losing immediately does is lower your draft pick, right?
To me, making it to the championship game is the equivalent of the playoffs in the old days. Anything less than that, you might as well be 5 and 12. Because frankly, you need the draft picks.
I rather make the playoffs, as then there is always that chance something special may happen.
SF could get top seed, then lose Purdy to an injury, Philly could lose hurts or a few key players. It has happened many times.

So we make the playoffs and get bounced, pick low 20's. Unless they can somehow get to 12-5 again. Or miss the playoffs and pick in the high teens. 4 or 5 spots will not make a difference in the draft after pick 12 or so.

Unless the wheels fall off and they only win 6 or 7 games. I rather be in the playoffs and pick low to mid 20's.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If this team loses to the Chargers the whole team could collapse. I had us at 11 wins this year. If we lose Monday night I don't think we get there.
I don’t know if it’s the playcalling, I don’t know what’s wrong with the running game. You can’t have a running game and not a passing game. You can’t have a passing game and not a running game. Everybody knows they work hand-in-hand. I think it’s totally up to coaching and they’re not doing it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Angling for a mod job???

By the way, not everyone was overhyped. I don't buy into all the BS that spews from Jerry's mouth.
Every game I take individually. Players attitude after losing or winning. Tells me exactly what I probably will happen the following week

Rayman70

Reaction score
Just wait until Jerry sees all the Cowboys jerseys in the stands Monday night.....he will claim success....as to how popular they are, and never mind the play on the field.
yep. The usual. Until fans show Jerry otherwise, He's fine.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we were Savagely beaten last week.. only a moron would double down on what happened and say otherwise.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It amazes me the reaction after this loss. Like we need to totally scratch and start over.

It’s obvious how much too many fans bought into the SB hype and one of the best teams in the league. When will this foolish casual and wagon fanbase learn to pump the brakes until further evidence is provided.

Cowboy fans have been so deprived this era of more success are desperate to finally have built a true contender they grasp at the first sighting and allow themselves to be suckered in not only from our owner who relishes in generating the hype but the mediots who compound the problem.

This team had so many concerns coming in with how this new offense would develop, the health of our OL, the depth of our RB’s, not having a star TE not to mention other issues.

The overall selling point this season was that our defense could become an elite caliber carrying this team further than it had been. But there were concerns as well like could we finally stop the run. Had we actually found the answer up the middle in our defense. And the season begun with dominating fashion with one hiccup in the desert .

But many of us warned or cried out to pump the brakes until we faced a legit contender. The offense was struggling in the Redzone not needing to do too much with a defense setting the tone leading the league in turnovers again.

The horrible upset loss in AZ should have sent a shot across our bow that without the defense dominating we had some issues offensively. I think fans just assumed that McCarthys new Texas Coast offense would naturally be better than Moores offense. And our lopsided wins fans didn’t dissect much further.

This loss to SF didn’t surprise me at all. Nor most in my close circle of local Cowboy friends. What we did take away is the Gap has widened between us from last year. And we , at least at this point , aren’t a SB contender which basically supports what we had suspected.

The good news is we are probably closer to what we saw coming in . A 9 or 10 win team fighting for a Wild Card slot with one of the toughest schedules in the league. This happened a few years ago when we begun the season 3-0.

Our hope was our defense could make a difference carrying a lesser offense this year, one that in recent years had been top 5-10 with roles reversed with a top 5 defense carrying a lesser offense.

Now that reality has set in fans who had bought into this hype are reeling. They feel a total reset is needed. Perhaps some serious tweaks do need to be made. But none some of us had already warned about . It amazes me how this one loss has totally reversed these fan’s mentality. It just solidifies how much they had bought in.
Only the fans fire the head coach, bench the QB, tank the team for next year's draft, and give up faith after 5 games and a 3-2 start.

Oh.. and Dan Snyder too! :muttley:

Rayman70

Reaction score
We get beat up at least once a year. But this one was special.
and if, WHEN the chargers beat us, then what? I see Ekeler gashing us. Keenan Allen will ravage us. We cant cover or stop the run against good teams.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I rather make the playoffs, as then there is always that chance something special may happen.
SF could get top seed, then lose Purdy to an injury, Philly could lose hurts or a few key players. It has happened many times.

So we make the playoffs and get bounced, pick low 20's. Unless they can somehow get to 12-5 again. Or miss the playoffs and pick in the high teens. 4 or 5 spots will not make a difference in the draft after pick 12 or so.

Unless the wheels fall off and they only win 6 or 7 games. I rather be in the playoffs and pick low to mid 20's.
Jerry approves of this message :thumbup: jk

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
It amazes me the reaction after this loss. Like we need to totally scratch and start over.

It’s obvious how much too many fans bought into the SB hype and one of the best teams in the league. When will this foolish casual and wagon fanbase learn to pump the brakes until further evidence is provided.

Cowboy fans have been so deprived this era of more success are desperate to finally have built a true contender they grasp at the first sighting and allow themselves to be suckered in not only from our owner who relishes in generating the hype but the mediots who compound the problem.

This team had so many concerns coming in with how this new offense would develop, the health of our OL, the depth of our RB’s, not having a star TE not to mention other issues.

The overall selling point this season was that our defense could become an elite caliber carrying this team further than it had been. But there were concerns as well like could we finally stop the run. Had we actually found the answer up the middle in our defense. And the season begun with dominating fashion with one hiccup in the desert .

But many of us warned or cried out to pump the brakes until we faced a legit contender. The offense was struggling in the Redzone not needing to do too much with a defense setting the tone leading the league in turnovers again.

The horrible upset loss in AZ should have sent a shot across our bow that without the defense dominating we had some issues offensively. I think fans just assumed that McCarthys new Texas Coast offense would naturally be better than Moores offense. And our lopsided wins fans didn’t dissect much further.

This loss to SF didn’t surprise me at all. Nor most in my close circle of local Cowboy friends. What we did take away is the Gap has widened between us from last year. And we , at least at this point , aren’t a SB contender which basically supports what we had suspected.

The good news is we are probably closer to what we saw coming in . A 9 or 10 win team fighting for a Wild Card slot with one of the toughest schedules in the league. This happened a few years ago when we begun the season 3-0.

Our hope was our defense could make a difference carrying a lesser offense this year, one that in recent years had been top 5-10 with roles reversed with a top 5 defense carrying a lesser offense.

Now that reality has set in fans who had bought into this hype are reeling. They feel a total reset is needed. Perhaps some serious tweaks do need to be made. But none some of us had already warned about . It amazes me how this one loss has totally reversed these fan’s mentality. It just solidifies how much they had bought in.
Only blind followers of Jerry and Stephen are reeling. The rest of us know this is just another year.

28 and counting…

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure when making the playoffs was less meaningful. I guess I missed the memo or official announcement.

Sounding like a SB or Bust type mentality.