Cowboys intend to work out a contract for Dak and have not closed off potential to consummate a deal

Qcard

Reaction score
NFL is an entertainment business. Dallas has enough fan base to never win a SB again. NFL needs other markets teams to win to keep the rest of the Country entertained.

You could easily make an argument for the NFL overall, it would in their best interest for the Cowboys to struggle. They don't need more fans, and every other fan is happy when the Cowboys lose.
Excellent point!

Having a Great or very good (2020-2023) Cowboys team and engaged fans is good for the NFL!

But the NFL cannot afford a bad Cowboys team and apathetic fans...

Bagman

Reaction score
the only way they extend Dak will be in order to sign Ceedee and Micah. Not to sign any free agents. Thats how they think. Translation, they will feel no need to solve the real issues in the trenches because hey we have the stars signed, so we all good. Keeps us relevant til we get beat again.
Exactly !!! Our Oline and Dline get pushed around and we don't have the $$ or picks to improve them. But as long as we lock up the stars(jersey sales guys) all is well.

Flamma

Reaction score
What's the plan....give Dak nothing to work with so he puts up mediocre numbers to sign him at $55M instead of $60M?

If there really have been no talks but they want to get a deal done in August as some have suggested fans should boycott. It would be a total slap in the face to fans to sit out free agency blaming Dak's contract, only to turn around and not even attempt to address the problem until after free agency is over so Jerry doesn't have to spend money.
Yep. You nailed it. If they do sign him before the season starts, it's for the reason you mentioned. To save money on his contract. Dak's cap hits will also be in accordance with what he intends to spend. No need to open up 40M if you don't intend to spend it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'll be honest. Given that the Jones seem to have no desire to actually improve this team above what they have been, I am in this for the entertainment value. And in this case, I kind of want Dak signed for only one reason - to watch Moutaineer Cowboy blow his stack.
Well, that will probably do it! :laugh::laugh:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Stephen has already said he'll call the agent during TC. Daks agent isn't calling the cowboys, that would give them leverage. Dak has all the leverage and will wait for the cowboys to call last minute because that is what they do when they back themselves into a corner.
Thats a bad take, Jerry is actually standing his ground on this one, and his ground is extremely close to the cliffs edge.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
NFL is an entertainment business. Dallas has enough fan base to never win a SB again. NFL needs other markets teams to win to keep the rest of the Country entertained.

You could easily make an argument for the NFL overall, it would in their best interest for the Cowboys to struggle. They don't need more fans, and every other fan is happy when the Cowboys lose.
Reading that kind of rocked my head a bit, its true and why I rocked my head a bit,, this is the true issue, the Dallas Cowboys are a cash cow, by logo only.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I'll be honest. Given that the Jones seem to have no desire to actually improve this team above what they have been, I am in this for the entertainment value. And in this case, I kind of want Dak signed for only one reason - to watch Moutaineer Cowboy blow his stack.
Imagine caring more about some rando on a message boards reaction than your favorite team getting better.

This is why Cowboys fans are considered a joke. They, like Jerry, have success far down on their list.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Exactly !!! Our Oline and Dline get pushed around and we don't have the $$ or picks to improve them. But as long as we lock up the stars(jersey sales guys) all is well.
We are cutting fat and ramping up our most recent draft picks.
Its a youth movement in Big D, and its put up or shut up time, I actually like this roster purge, somebody was in the Jones Boys ear, just a brief 5 minute conversation with Jimmy maybe... IDK

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I think a deal will get done with Dak during training camp.
I also think MM will get a contract extension by mid season at the latest.
Jmo.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
They intend to work out a contract, NOT one that he may love or will keep him here for the next 6 years

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thats a bad take, Jerry is actually standing his ground on this one, and his ground is extremely close to the cliffs edge.

I doubt it. Stephen mostly handles everything at this point. What we've seen the last 5-6 years is how Stephen chooses to operate. Yes Jerry is in all the meetings s d can do what he wants but I believe Stephen is running most everything how he wants.

quickccc

Reaction score
August Month will be the tell tale it all ..

Jerry Jones: ..." Deadline Makes Deals "

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Imagine caring more about some rando on a message boards reaction than your favorite team getting better.

This is why Cowboys fans are considered a joke. They, like Jerry, have success far down on their list.
The truth comes out. You’re not a Cowboys fan.