Cowboy's interest in Taylor Mays?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3262657 said:
it's not that Mays was awesome or anything, but he was coached this week to make plays on the ball, and he did that during the game

and I think with more pro coaching, he can make up for some of his shortcomings, such as man coverage and being a Ken Hamlin-make-no-plays-even-though-you-play-center-field clone

He didnt really make a play though. He sat back and waited for a duck.

And I forget who it was but I remember being surprised he got knocked back by a smaller guy.
It couldnt have been Mccluster but it wasnt exactly a beastly player.

Too many Q's w/ him. SS or OLB, cut weight or bulk up more and move to LB. Then you wonder if hed move the same way.

Since Im 21 and I like shiny things I wont cry of hes our 2nd rounder though

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3262566 said:
maybe not in college

but he flashed skills yesterday

the hate for Mays and the love for Iupati are both exaggerated and irrational

The hate for Mays is well earned, I saw plenty of him the past few years to draw a solid conclusion. And what skills did he flash in the Senior Bowl? That he can make a gimmee pick when the QB makes an awful read? He also blew a couple of gimmee tackles (again)

As for Iupati, the Senior Bowl was only the 2nd game I've ever seen him play. I wasnt impressed with what I saw Saturday and think he might be more of a project than people wanted to believe, but I do think he has more upside than Mays has.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;3262798 said:
I sure hope Cowboys get Eric Berry or Earl Thomas. If not get Terrance Moutain Cody.
:laugh2:

Yeah, we have a shot at Eric Berry. He's going in the top 5 picks.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Hostile;3262813 said:

We can move up if we trade the 2015 and 2016 first round picks.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Mays is perfect for a Cover2 MLB. Mays, to me, is the same kind of player as is Urlacher. He would fit very well into that scheme IMO.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
dbair1967;3262562 said:
I dont want anything to do with Mays. We need guys who can roam around and make plays on the ball, and he doesnt do that.

Iupati looks like a project to me. Maybe he'd be good down the road, but I think people had this guy already in Canton before seeing very much of him, and he wasnt impressive at all yesterday. Doesnt mean he wont be good, but I doubt he'd start from day one unless somebody got hurt.

Most if not all scouts don't even stick around for the game. It's all about the practices.

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3263011 said:
I think Mays is perfect for a Cover2 MLB. Mays, to me, is the same kind of player as is Urlacher. He would fit very well into that scheme IMO.
Body-wise, Mays looks pretty maxed out, I don't think he could carry the additional bulk to play the Mike (Urlacher is 260, Mays 230.)

As far as draft Mays, IMO he's Roy Williams II and I'd be more than a little upset if we drafted him in the first.

For Iupati, he's a mauler in the run game, but needs work in his pass protection. If we drafted him, he wouldn't start until 2011 (Kosier's contract expires then) so he would have time to work on that part of his game.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
No interest in Mays unless we're losing Sensebaugh, and even then I wouldn't get him in the 1st.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3263077 said:
Body-wise, Mays looks pretty maxed out, I don't think he could carry the additional bulk to play the Mike (Urlacher is 260, Mays 230.)

As far as draft Mays, IMO he's Roy Williams II and I'd be more than a little upset if we drafted him in the first.

For Iupati, he's a mauler in the run game, but needs work in his pass protection. If we drafted him, he wouldn't start until 2011 (Kosier's contract expires then) so he would have time to work on that part of his game.

I don't see that at all. Mays is 6-3 and runs in the 4.45 area, according to reports. I think he can easily put on another 15 or 20 pounds. Urlacher was not huge when he came out. He was probably 240-245 maybe. He too played safety and was moved to LB in College. I think Mays is exactly that kind of player. I think Mays is probably faster then Roy ever was but I don't know until he actually runs. I think that if Mays stays at Safety, he probably is another Roy, which is why I think it's unwise to draft him to play the position in a conventional NFL defense.

We don't play a Tampa2 so I don't really see us drafting him. He would work for a team that ran that Scheme thou, IMO.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I want nothing, at all, to do with Mays. Which means, as is my luck, we'll wind up drafting him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Whether it's Wade or Ciskowski or whoever, the last few years we have not gone for these guys who have great measurables but no football sense. Actually it's been the exact opposite.

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3263203 said:
I don't see that at all. Mays is 6-3 and runs in the 4.45 area, according to reports. I think he can easily put on another 15 or 20 pounds. Urlacher was not huge when he came out. He was probably 240-245 maybe. He too played safety and was moved to LB in College. I think Mays is exactly that kind of player. I think Mays is probably faster then Roy ever was but I don't know until he actually runs. I think that if Mays stays at Safety, he probably is another Roy, which is why I think it's unwise to draft him to play the position in a conventional NFL defense.

We don't play a Tampa2 so I don't really see us drafting him. He would work for a team that ran that Scheme thou, IMO.

Mays and Urlacher have different body types, Urlacher has a bigger frame than Mays and can carry more weight.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;3262789 said:
The hate for Mays is well earned, I saw plenty of him the past few years to draw a solid conclusion. And what skills did he flash in the Senior Bowl? That he can make a gimmee pick when the QB makes an awful read? He also blew a couple of gimmee tackles (again)

As for Iupati, the Senior Bowl was only the 2nd game I've ever seen him play. I wasnt impressed with what I saw Saturday and think he might be more of a project than people wanted to believe, but I do think he has more upside than Mays has.

you already made up your mind a long time ago regarding Mays

A gimme pick? Have you seen Hamlin make any of those?

All safeties who play CF get most of their picks that way, even the great Ed Reed.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/Game.php

^^^Scott Wright too came away impressed

btw, I was one of the skeptical ones regarding Mays too after reading all the hype

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3263365 said:
Mays and Urlacher have different body types, Urlacher has a bigger frame than Mays and can carry more weight.

No, I don't agree. I watched Urlacher play here at UNM when he was in College. He was not a huge guy. He had good size for a Safety but he was not built like a MLB in those days. Even so, in a Tampa2, your MLB doesn't have to be a huge guy. Urlacher probably will be able to carry more weight but Urlacher goes about 255 or 260. I don't think Mays needs to be that big. He can play in that offense at 245 and that should not be any big deal for this kid. That's only like 15 pounds more. He needs to be a guy who has good speed, can cover a bit and can be a good tackler. Not crushing tackler. Urlacher has never been that. I think he fits in that scheme. I guess we'll see.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3262813 said:

Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn think we have a shot.

OK not really 27 is a looooooooong way to drop.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3263507 said:
you already made up your mind a long time ago regarding Mays

A gimme pick? Have you seen Hamlin make any of those?

All safeties who play CF get most of their picks that way, even the great Ed Reed.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/Game.php

^^^Scott Wright too came away impressed

btw, I was one of the skeptical ones regarding Mays too after reading all the hype

It's a deep seeded hate that I've never seen before.