Cowboys Jerry Jones leaves door open for coaching change

cowboyec

Reaction score
Jerrys comnent was in relation to Linehan and the OC spot...somehow its gotten twisted to be about Garrett which it wasnt.

secondly...thru out most of Oct and Nov he's talked about extending Garrett...so how is that not committing?

Aven8

Reaction score
They overblew that whole thing.....good grief.

His comments weren’t about SP. we wish.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm as big a Garrett critic as anyone here but I think he's earned another year and if you throw in Jerry's unnatural admiration for him, I've just accepted he isn't leaving. Although, I'm hopeful that we slow down on the extension talk.

I think the team has a real chance to make a move at OC. Linehan will be the fall guy and deservedly so. All of the guys I would have liked to see us hire have gotten recent promotions... Kliff Kingsbury (Cardinals HC), LaFleur (Packers HC), Zack Taylor (Bengals HC), Kendel Briles (Florida State OC), Adam Gase (Jets HC).

The one guy I'd love to see Jerry throw some money at is Mike McDaniel and to give him full control of the offense. I really feel he could turn this offense around.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dont get your hopes up.

We arent getting Payton without giving up draft pics for him

Food for thought:

"But the talk isn't going away. The NFL Network reported Sunday morning, citing three sources, that Sean Payton's contract contains a clause that would allow him to leave New Orleans if there was a change in ownership.

The report goes on to state the organization would be willing to let him become a "coaching free agent"

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_e6cc4f05-f3e0-5144-948e-f170dc0516ac.html

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm as big a Garrett critic as anyone here but I think he's earned another year and if you throw in Jerry's unnatural admiration for him, I've just accepted he isn't leaving. Although, I'm hopeful that we slow down on the extension talk.

I think the team has a real chance to make a move at OC. Linehan will be the fall guy and deservedly so. All of the guys I would have liked to see us hire have gotten recent promotions... Kliff Kingsbury (Cardinals HC), LaFleur (Paxckers HC), Zack Taylor (Bengals HC), Kendel Briles (Florida State OC), Adam Gase (Jets HC).

The one guy I'd love to see Jerry throw some money at is Mike McDaniel and to give him full control of the offense. I really feel he could turn this offense around.

I agree. Would I like a HC chane? Sure will do. But I accepted the idea that Garrett is staying for at least another year. If the extension is only one year, that will be a clear warning for Garrett to resort to some changes in the team. The OC and DC will be changed, that's a sure thing imo and hopefully the QB coach will be changed as well.

If JG gets a one year extention, his job will be on the line all season long. He will have to make some changes, especially on the scheme. The coordinators will have to prove themselves, too. This might only do good for the team in 2019.

nobody

Reaction score
Jerry was stating it simply. If he views that an upgrade to a coaching position is available and willing to sign a deal, he'll do it, otherwise he'll stand pat. I think that's what any GM and owner would do.
I just think that he overvalues what he has sometimes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Food for thought:

"But the talk isn't going away. The NFL Network reported Sunday morning, citing three sources, that Sean Payton's contract contains a clause that would allow him to leave New Orleans if there was a change in ownership.

The report goes on to state the organization would be willing to let him become a "coaching free agent"

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_e6cc4f05-f3e0-5144-948e-f170dc0516ac.html
Is there gonna be a change in ownership?

Proof

Reaction score
Given Stephen is pretty pragmatic and calculated, I wonder his thoughts on JG.