Twitter: Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch confirms he's returning in 2020

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It means nothing to you because you don’t like the sound of it. It was speculated after his neck surgery that it could threaten his career. After the surgery Garrett said we don’t “think” it’s career threatening. His neck will end up retiring him before he’s 30.

Maybe so. I can't say if he will play a year or play for the next 6 years. I have not been in consultation with LVE or the doctors who performed the surgery nor do I have any information on their views of his long term future. Anyone making claims pro or con is speculation and nothing more. For the most part I think all players are pretty much year to year given the physical nature of the game it could all come crashing down in 1 play at any given time.

Proof

Reaction score
It was announced by the team he would be ready for the 2020 season after his surgery. The team downplayed it as a “procedure.” Players don’t confirm they’re returning for a season if they’re not considering retirement. He underwent neck surgery and has a narrowing of the spine which has retired several players.

yes I understand your point. I also understand that nearly every player who suffers a serious injury or is placed on the IR for the remainder of a season announced whether they’ll return for the next season or not. The only additional context in this situation is that random people have speculated that it was career threatening, making some form of affirmation necessary or appreciated. You may in turn be right that he’s year to year and career may be cut short, but him making a tweet / IG post about the upcoming season does not in any way mean he was contemplating retirement. Just that he feels good to go after surgery and recovery.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Maybe so. I can't say if he will play a year or play for the next 6 years. I have not been in consultation with LVE or the doctors who performed the surgery nor do I have any information on their views of his long term future. Anyone making claims pro or con is speculation and nothing more. For the most part I think all players are pretty much year to year given the physical nature of the game it could all come crashing down in 1 play at any given time.

It’s a neck injury and reports were that he had neck problems in college. Having next surgery is a serious thing for a football player. There’s been more than one thread since the season ended about his neck and prognosis. We’ll just have to see how it plays out with him. Personally I don’t think he’s going to have a long career because of this.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yes I understand your point. I also understand that nearly every player who suffers a serious injury or is placed on the IR for the remainder of a season announced whether they’ll return for the next season or not. The only additional context in this situation is that random people have speculated that it was career threatening, making some form of affirmation necessary or appreciated. You may in turn be right that he’s year to year and career may be cut short, but him making a tweet / IG post about the upcoming season does not in any way mean he was contemplating retirement. Just that he feels good to go after surgery and recovery.

I’m not going spend all day arguing this. If you don’t like my opinion that’s fine. There’s been a number of discussions about his neck since he had the surgery. His neck is going to end up retiring him at some point. I said last season that it wouldn’t surprise me if Frederick didn’t play much longer.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I’ve seen is the tweet. There’s been a lot of discussion on his neck since he had the surgery. Retirement may not have been in the discussion but I think it’s going to be at some point. He has a narrowing of the spine which is what Michael Irvin had. I’ll be surprised if he plays until he’s 30.
I understand that all you've seen is the tweet. There's a pic in the tweet from LVE's instagram account. It's truly a nothing type of post, but seeing all the dialogue about LVE lately, I took it to mean he's feeling healthy.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Head and neck injuries retire players more than anything. He must have been contemplating retirement or he wouldn’t have announced he was returning in 2020. I wouldn’t bet on him finishing out his contract.
I love it when people here assume and state as fact what is going thru another mans mind. No way he could just be telling us he is playing to calm the fan base and was told to do so by his agent. No way that’s possible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I love it when people here assume and state as fact what is going thru another mans mind. No way he could just be telling us he is playing to calm the fan base and was told to do so by his agent. No way that’s possible.

When a player undergoes neck surgery and has spinal stenosis it’s not hard to speculate what has to be going through their mind.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

Proof

Reaction score
I’m not going spend all day arguing this. If you don’t like my opinion that’s fine. There’s been a number of discussions about his neck since he had the surgery. His neck is going to end up retiring him at some point. I said last season that it wouldn’t surprise me if Frederick didn’t play much longer.

I don’t care about your opinion, and I literally said you may be right about it. You’re just wrong about what this innocuous “announcement” means. I’d prefer not to argue all day either

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I understand that all you've seen is the tweet. There's a pic in the tweet from LVE's instagram account. It's truly a nothing type of post, but seeing all the dialogue about LVE lately, I took it to mean he's feeling healthy.

I’m sure he’s feeling good and wants to sound optimistic but undergoing neck surgery and having spinal stenosis is concerning. Michael Irvin had spinal stenosis which has retired a number of players. When it was first reported that he has spinal stenosis that alarmed a lot of fans. I’ll be very surprised if he plays until he’s 30 with this condition.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t care about your opinion, and I literally said you may be right about it. You’re just wrong about what this innocuous “announcement” means. I’d prefer not to argue all day either

You want me to be wrong but he underwent neck surgery and has spinal stenosis. If he continues to have issues with his neck he’s going to be calling it quits.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s a neck injury and reports were that he had neck problems in college. Having next surgery is a serious thing for a football player. There’s been more than one thread since the season ended about his neck and prognosis. We’ll just have to see how it plays out with him. Personally I don’t think he’s going to have a long career because of this.

I'm not saying it is not, what I am saying is none of us know because we are not given the information he was received from doctors. You can speculate and say you think his career will be over by such and such time but it is a purely speculation. Again I'm not saying what he will or will not do, I don't know. I'm being honest I truly do not know nor do I pretend to know. Right now all I know is he is playing and I hope to see him out there producing as he has before the injury.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not saying it is not, what I am saying is none of us know because we are not given the information he was received from doctors. You can speculate and say you think his career will be over by such and such time but it is a purely speculation. Again I'm not saying what he will or will not do, I don't know. I'm being honest I truly do not know nor do I pretend to know. Right now all I know is he is playing and I hope to see him out there producing as he has before the injury.

I didn’t say his career was over, I said I don’t think he’ll have a long career. If he can’t get back to the level of play of his rookie year and continues to have problems with his neck he’ll retire. It won’t come as a surprise to me if he hangs it up within the next three years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys are hoping spinal stenosis doesn’t cut LVE’s career short.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...orts/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article238691243.html

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The key thing here is if he needs a second surgery he will be forced to retire, so another injury could potentially write his future.

Proof

Reaction score
You want me to be wrong but he underwent neck surgery and has spinal stenosis. If he continues to have issues with his neck he’s going to be calling it quits.

uhhh are you reading what I’m writing? Lol.