Twitter: Cowboys Make New Offer To Elliott

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He is also one strike away from never playing again. I don't mind him getting paid but I would put some clauses in there to protect me from any off field stupidity
agreed but i think every contract has that in it.

birdwells1

Reaction score
He has no real leverage.

Dallas is doing him a big favor if they give him a big deal.

Him being talented really means nothing because he can be talented sitting at hone losing possibly millions of dollars by not playing.

The shape of these contracts mean more in the long term then this season.

You lost, he's doing them a favor by looking at their latest offer.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Because the market is screaming the highest paid TB got overpaid and the team who paid him that is likely having 2nd thoughts after their top paid TB played second fiddle to a guy off the street down the stretch for them in 2018.

Zeke can certainly ask for whatever he wants but the market is what the market is and IMO there isn’t a market that going to exceed Gurley’s 45MM guaranteed.
If a guy is currently being paid a certain amount that is the market.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They’ll regret this but whatever, 20+ years without a Lombardi speaks for itself. I just hope they can keep our defense together in a year or two.

Jerry’s crackin’, lol. No surprise, Johnny Walker talks tough.
But I thought Cheapskate Son was calling the shots now? Lol

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He's not better than Gurley or Barkley.
laughable. gurley runs behind one of the best lines in the league. has a "genius" offensive mind at coach. and ran against 8 man boxes about 10% of the time compared to the league average 20ish %. Barkley was the only person on the offense of course he was gonna ball out. Still not better than zeke. Zeke grinds for the dirty yards while barkley is losing yardage.

Big_D

Reaction score
And you are cherry picking if you use the last three years. For a position that has literally proven that it declines by the carry, what measurement do you think is more relevant?
Gurley is the reigning, two-time consecutive first team All-Pro right now. Zeke’s agent has to put that in his pipe and smoke it.

Must be living in an alternate universe where yards are more important than TDs? Points on the board in 2018

126 Gurley
54 Elliott

That's cherry picking?!

On top of that Elliott had 66 more touches and less than half the TDs and only 170 more yards? He's top 3 plus he's durable and no doubt talented, but some go way overboard in their praise.

superonyx

Reaction score
I mean they clearly want him back. But I think it's ridiculous to pay a TB that much money.
Yea especially when he only accounts for half your offense.
If he wants to make as much cheddar as an always injured OT then he needs to be at least 90% of the offense

jnday

Reaction score
I am fine with this offer and they can put some conditions that he would have to meet that would give him a chance of making more than Gurley.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just me, but I think they're saying there's a penalty for getting paid 2 years early. Remember Stephen said they WILL NOT be market setters. Making him the highest-paid player at his position with two years left on old deal IS setting the market.
Gurley signed with two years left, so it's a good analog in the timing respect. The question of whether LA overpaid for him (duh) is the root of the argument.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Give him good guarantees. He is a very good and fairly needed player. But put off field clauses in the contract. And put out a release to the media that it’s the last time we sign a player with 2 years left on there contract that holds out.

Sydla

Reaction score
If a guy is currently being paid a certain amount that is the market.

The market is what people are willing to pay right now. The market always shifts, up or down (in fairness, usually up).

If Zeke Elliott were a FA right now and the best deal he could get is 30MM guaranteed, that’s the market. The market wouldn’t be what Gurley got.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
For some it's little thinking other than "Zeke is great!" And "Pay Zeke!"

There's no higher level thinking of the cap and the consequences.

Madden Football.
I didn't know you win championships by having more cap space than the other teams.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
laughable. gurley runs behind one of the best lines in the league. has a "genius" offensive mind at coach. and ran against 8 man boxes about 10% of the time compared to the league average 20ish %. Barkley was the only person on the offense of course he was gonna ball out. Still not better than zeke. Zeke grinds for the dirty yards while barkley is losing yardage.

Even if Gurley was better there isn't 1 GM taking Gurley over Zeke with Gurley's knee issues.

Barkley just needs to show he is more then a finesse back that relies on big plays to make his numbers look good.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Must be living in an alternate universe where yards are more important than TDs? Points on the board in 2018

126 Gurley
54 Elliott

That's cherry picking?!

On top of that Elliott had 66 more touches and less than half the TDs and only 170 more yards? He's top 3 plus he's durable and no doubt talented, but some go way overboard in their praise.

Not a very good way to judge a player. A Mike Tolbert type might have 10 one-yard TDs in a year with absolutely no effect on any drives other than the final yard.

An enormous portion (if not the biggest) of Elliott's value lies in his ability to move the chain and extend drives. That doesn't show up as points on the board but it is invaluable for flipping field position and "assisting" on touchdown drives.

aria

Reaction score
The player never pays that fine after the contract has been signed. This ain't Romo quarterbacking the team it's Dak.
Still would have made him think twice about the contract seeing us win without him. It was a game of a chicken and the Jones boys pulled over about a mile ahead.