Twitter: Cowboys meeting with WR Thompson

BlindFaith

Reaction score
To each his own my friend and we can agree to disagree. If the FO would have signed Sammy, Dez would be on his way out of town.
Hurns is just as good as Sammy any day.

Watkins has the speed that Hurns doesn't.

But Hurns is an overall better player.

You know, I could see them dump Dez for Hurns. I know the butt hurt would be off the charts in here, but if the FO really wants Dez gone and wants that money, then Hurns plus a draft pick might be our best option.

It is interesting that they are bringing in so many WRs. I still think something is in the works for Beasley. I don't think NE has signed a replacement for Amendola yet. Bease would be the perfect fit. Maybe get a third for him?

Lots in play here at WR.

LittleD

Reaction score

You know, I could see them dump Dez for Hurns. I know the butt hurt would be off the charts in here, but if the FO really wants Dez gone and wants that money, then Hurns plus a draft pick might be our best option.

It is interesting that they are bringing in so many WRs. I still think something is in the works for Beasley. I don't think NE has signed a replacement for Amendola yet. Base would be the perfect fit. Maybe get a third for him?

Lots in play here at WR.

I wish they hadn't extended TWill for so long last year. We need a new stable of WR's.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I wish they hadn't extended TWill for so long last year. We need a new stable of WR's.
That's what happens when you kick the can.

And Williams isn't making a ton. I could live with him as a 3rd for another year.

LittleD

Reaction score
That's what happens when you kick the can.

And Williams isn't making a ton. I could live with him as a 3rd for another year.

We need 3 speed WR's who can create separation for Dak. He needs all the safety blankets he can get.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It is interesting that they are bringing in so many WRs. I still think something is in the works for Beasley. I don't think NE has signed a replacement for Amendola yet. Bease would be the perfect fit. Maybe get a third for him?

Lots in play here at WR.

Although I think we're better off keeping Dez and lining up another quality receiver on the other side, I have trouble seeing Dallas' interest in Hurns any other way but the team looking for opportunities to move on from Dez. The flirtation with Watkins should tell us this.

I'm not sure what the interest in Inman, Thompson and Hunter mean. It could be that the front office is looking at them as possible fill-in starters that would allow the team to let Dez go without absolutely being wedged into drafting a first-round receiver, but that would be foolish. None of those players gives us a starting wide receiver group that would even challenge defenses.

Maybe we've got some kind of handshake agreement in place to trade Dez to Seattle for Thomas once we find a stand-in? I doubt it, but it's tough making sense of the wide receiver interest.

LittleD

Reaction score
Hunter and Thompson are that speed guy. But speed alone doesn't make one a good WR.

True but, you can't have a lead foot on the field like Dez and not expect the defense to double Beas and TWill. Actually, TWill doesn't need
double covering. At least Butler could create separation by going deep.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

In addition to Allen Hurns, the Cowboys will meet with free agent wide receiver Deonte Thompson, according to sources. Thompson had 38 catches for 555 yards and two touchdowns with the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills in 2017. He had his most success with Buffalo, catching 27 passes for 430 yards in 11 games (seven starts). The Cowboys will have met with four receivers in free agency in Hurns, Thompson, Dontrelle Inman and Justin Hunter.

You seem to keep up with this kind of info...in your opinion how would you rank these four?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I remember watching the losses to Philadelphia, LA Chargers, and Seattle last year and thinking, if we just had Deonte Thompson....

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Although I think we're better off keeping Dez and lining up another quality receiver on the other side, I have trouble seeing Dallas' interest in Hurns any other way but the team looking for opportunities to move on from Dez. The flirtation with Watkins should tell us this.

I'm not sure what the interest in Inman, Thompson and Hunter mean. It could be that the front office is looking at them as possible fill-in starters that would allow the team to let Dez go without absolutely being wedged into drafting a first-round receiver, but that would be foolish. None of those players gives us a starting wide receiver group that would even challenge defenses.

Maybe we've got some kind of handshake agreement in place to trade Dez to Seattle for Thomas once we find a stand-in? I doubt it, but it's tough making sense of the wide receiver interest.
Maybe Linehan is being given the green light to fully do things his way?

And maybe he's making some recommendations on players that he thinks fits what they want to do.

The new FB could be part of that.

I could live with Hurns, Thompson, Williams, Switzer, draft pick and Brown. At least for a year. As long as we don't over pay and can get out after a year or two.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Maybe Linehan is being given the green light to fully do things his way?

And maybe he's making some recommendations on players that he thinks fits what they want to do.

The new FB could be part of that.

I could live with Hurns, Thompson, Williams, Switzer, draft pick and Brown. At least for a year. As long as we don't over pay and can get out after a year or two.

I think that would be a very iffy receiving corps and we should plan to not go anywhere with it. If we do that, we're wasting a year in the careers of our other starters while our front office fools itself into believing that it's outsmarted everyone again.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
True but, you can't have a lead foot on the field like Dez and not expect the defense to double Beas and TWill. Actually, TWill doesn't need
double covering. At least Butler could create separation by going deep.
Dez doesn't get doubled much because he doesn't run routes well or, more so, isn't trusted to run any complicated combo or option routes. Plus he doesn't have the speed a team has to respect.

LittleD

Reaction score
Dez doesn't get doubled much because he doesn't run routes well or, more so, isn't trusted to run any complicated combo or option routes. Plus he doesn't have the speed a team has to respect.

That's exactly why we need Hurns and Thompson along with drafting Ridley in the 1st. A new set of WR's and Zeke returning should at least
give us a chance.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I think that would be a very iffy receiving corps and we should plan to not go anywhere with it. If we do that, we're wasting a year in the careers of our other starters while our front office fools itself into believing that it's outsmarted everyone again.
We are a run first team. Using the run to open up the pass. We shouldn't need all pros out wide. But we do need guys who can run precise routes, can hold on to the ball and some more speed.

Hurns gives us the reliable routes and hands. Thompson gives us the speed. Williams has had his moments. Switzer just needs reps.

We add a first or second round pick to the mix, I think we'll be just fine.

But a part of that is also doing something with Witten. Pay cut and less snaps or cut.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That's exactly why we need Hurns and Thompson along with drafting Ridley in the 1st. A new set of WR's and Zeke returning should at least
give us a chance.
Not sure on Ridley. But honestly I don't put a lot of time into evaluating these guys. And I don't watch college ball. But I get a sense that we would be better off waiting until the second or maybe moving down in the first if they like him.

James would be my guy, but I don't think we will have a shot.

LittleD

Reaction score
Not sure on Ridley. But honestly I don't put a lot of time into evaluating these guys. And I don't watch college ball. But I get a sense that we would be better off waiting until the second or maybe moving down in the first if they like him.

James would be my guy, but I don't think we will have a shot.

I wouldn't mind James either. Not sure if we would take him though. Dak needs a specific type of WR just as Romo did. I still think Dak would
excel long term in a West Coast style of offense on two years of history.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind James either. Not sure if we would take him though. Dak needs a specific type of WR just as Romo did. I still think Dak would
excel long term in a West Coast style of offense on two years of history.
It's not really about the offense. It's about what kind of throws a QB can make and his football IQ. Dak can make all the throws. His problem right now, IMO, is that when he thinks too much he falters. When he just goes and plays, he does fine.

But you need both. I think things will be more automatic for him this year. I expect him to have a really good year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We are a run first team. Using the run to open up the pass. We shouldn't need all pros out wide. But we do need guys who can run precise routes, can hold on to the ball and some more speed.

Hurns gives us the reliable routes and hands. Thompson gives us the speed. Williams has had his moments. Switzer just needs reps.

We add a first or second round pick to the mix, I think we'll be just fine.

But a part of that is also doing something with Witten. Pay cut and less snaps or cut.

Hurns has missed five games and six games the past two seasons. And he has benefited from being paired with Allen Robinson. (His 1,000-yard year came the same season as Robinson was even better, so who are you going to double?) He's a downgrade from Dez (but would be an upgrade over Williams) while Thompson is barely an upgrade over Butler.

Now, if you're throwing in a first- or second-rounder, that changes things, but your previous post didn't indicate that. However, since we don't know how draft picks will work out, obviously that could fail us.

Like I said, I'd rather keep Dez and add Hurns as the No. 2, but I don't think that's what Dallas will do if they sign him. The question would then become is replacing Dez with Hurns enough? I'm wary that it would be, but I would be surprised if we also drafted a receiver in the first in that case.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak must somehow improve his long ball accuracy if we're to maximize the effectiveness that a speedy WR might offer. If we were to sign a fast WR with a knack to reliably get separation for short and medium routes as well as deep, it'll be ideal. That and better pass protection sure wouldn't hurt, either. We've definitely gotta get "Dak friendly." ;)

Last edited: