Twitter: Cowboys meeting with WR Thompson

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Hurns has missed five games and six games the past two seasons. And he has benefited from being paired with Allen Robinson. (His 1,000-yard year came the same season as Robinson was even better, so who are you going to double?) He's a downgrade from Dez (but would be an upgrade over Williams) while Thompson is barely an upgrade over Butler.

Now, if you're throwing in a first- or second-rounder, that changes things, but your previous post didn't indicate that. However, since we don't know how draft picks will work out, obviously that could fail us.

Like I said, I'd rather keep Dez and add Hurns as the No. 2, but I don't think that's what Dallas will do if they sign him. The question would then become is replacing Dez with Hurns enough? I'm wary that it would be, but I would be surprised if we also drafted a receiver in the first in that case.
Hey, I'm not saying Hurns is Julio Jones here.

The team, for whatever their reasons, are chomping at the bit to move on from Dez.

All I'm saying is that based off what Dez has given us, Hurns would not be a tremendous drop off. Plus he will be cheaper. And he, most importantly, won't be Dez.

Thompson is a major upgrade over Butler. Thompson can also be our return guy. And he's one of the fastest guys in the NFL. He is very comparable to Patterson.

And yes, you add a receiver via the draft.

And don't sleep on Brown. He was very raw coming out. Same size and speed as Dez. And by all accounts, he's been working hard to get better.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The team, for whatever their reasons, are chomping at the bit to move on from Dez.

All I'm saying is that based off what Dez has given us, Hurns would not be a tremendous drop off. Plus he will be cheaper. And he, most importantly, won't be Dez.

Thompson is a major upgrade over Butler. Thompson can also be our return guy. And he's one of the fastest guys in the NFL. He is very comparable to Patterson.

And don't sleep on Brown. He was very raw coming out. Same size and speed as Dez. And by all accounts, he's been working hard to get better.

I just don't see an overall improvement here unless we spend an early pick on the position. We don't want a repeat of what we got out of the passing game last year and that's all replacing Dez with Hurns and Butler with Thompson would realistically do.

If we sign Hurns and use a first-round pick on the position, then we've invested FA resources and a premium pick in the same position when we have other spots to address. (Dez coming off the books would give some of those resources back, though.)

I'm not going to cry if we sign Hurns and dump Dez because I'll wait and see what else we do, but I'd feel a lot better about our chances with both Dez and Hurns on the team. I don't see that happening, though. In fact, I don't see us signing Hurns because he'll get more than we're willing to offer IMO.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I just don't see an overall improvement here unless we spend an early pick on the position. We don't want a repeat of what we got out of the passing game last year and that's all replacing Dez with Hurns and Butler with Thompson would realistically do.

If we sign Hurns and use a first-round pick on the position, then we've invested FA resources and a premium pick in the same position when we have other spots to address. (Dez coming off the books would give some of those resources back, though.)

I'm not going to cry if we sign Hurns and dump Dez because I'll wait and see what else we do, but I'd feel a lot better about our chances with both Dez and Hurns on the team. I don't see that happening, though. In fact, I don't see us signing Hurns because he'll get more than we're willing to offer IMO.
I would see it as an improvement. And not just on the field production. But I don't have issues if you don't.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Im amazed they didn't offer Dez for Earl Thomas straight up. Seattle has some serious issues at WR and the cap hits for both sides would just make sense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Im amazed they didn't offer Dez for Earl Thomas straight up. Seattle has some serious issues at WR and the cap hits for both sides would just make sense.

That would be worthwhile reason to sign Hurns to replace Dez. The drop-off from Dez to Hurns would likely not be as steep as the improvement at safety.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I doubt a team with no WR and a good to great QB doesn't value what a guy like him good bring to their team. And they would be getting rid of a problem just like us.
Well, obviously there is some issue. They certainly don't think Dez is worth Thomas straight up. I'm sure we would jump all over that deal.

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
Why are they so worried about signing a 4th WR in free agency!? How often does our 4th WR even see the field!?

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Really like Thompson. I was impressed in whatever game I saw him play last year with the bills.

It seems like he has a lot of untapped potential. Which, if I were his agent, I would steer him away from here!

Pants

Reaction score
Dez, Hurns, Rd 2 pick, Switz, Brown and maybe one of the other FAs if reasonably priced. Butler already gone (hasn’t signed with anyone, right?) dump twill and trade beas if any takers

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Or maybe that wasn’t even an offer on the table
Well, unless they were offering Thomas and draft picks. I doubt that.

The point, is that they don't see Dez as being straight up as valuable for Thomas. Else that trigger would have been pulled.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Well, unless they were offering Thomas and draft picks. I doubt that.

The point, is that they don't see Dez as being straight up as valuable for Thomas. Else that trigger would have been pulled.

You can’t make that claim unless you know they actually even discussed a trade. You have no idea what his value is to them unless that was leaked by either team. You’re stating your assumption as fact.

Facts that we know:

1. A trade for Thomas using Dez was not discussed.
2. We do not know what Seattle sees as Dez’s value since they’ve never said anything.
3. We don’t know that Dez is even on the trading block as we haven’t even heard that.