Cowboys must draft a back!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He averaged 3.5 ypc last year.

Stop. You Elliott fans have got to let it go. He’s done as a good, quality TB.
He is washed, but I'd still rather have him competing for a spot than just have what we have now. That's how bad the situation is. We've got Dowdle, who is an injury risk and may not can carry more of the load than he did last year; a fifth-round rookie who averaged 1.7 and two PS players. I'm not sure if Elliott returned, he wouldn't still be the best RB of that lot. Again, that's not saying much, but that's where we are.

Frankly, I think we need to try to improve the starting position and improve the top backup spot as well. Not saying signing Elliott accomplishes that, but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a back early and another one later. San that, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Elliott to compete for the backup job.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Time will tell. But I don't look at any of the runners in this draft as better than Pollard. It's an awful class for RBs.
There will likely be some backs on his level, but finding them is the hard part. Backs drafted in the second round have around a 40-50 percent hit rate and it goes down from there. Those who want us to wait until the fifth-seventh rounds want us to wait until there's around a 10 percent hit rate.

This is an old article (2015), but I would be surprised if the success rates have changed that much: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015...e-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

Last edited:

BadLieutenant

Reaction score
He’s basically washed. The wear and tear has taken its toll.

We all criticized the run game last year and how Pollard didn’t play well and yet he averaged 4.0 ypc and had double the TDs of Elliott.
Jones is flirting w/disaster,

morasp

Reaction score

Overview​

Rocked up runner with aggressive disposition and relatively low mileage on his tires. Conner is a scheme-versatile runner, which could help him as he transitions to the next level. He's more than willing to choose violence on every snap but rarely allows that mindset to prevent him from seeking out less-trafficked pathways with his vision. He will run himself into some tackles because of his red-hot tempo, but ironically, he's a patient and highly effective short-yardage back. Conner's disappointing showing at the NFL Scouting Combine is hard to ignore, though, and could hurt his standing with evaluators. Conner has three-down talent and projects as a good committee back with the frame to carry a workload if needed.

Strengths​

* Game-ready physique with thick, muscular frame. * Runs with desired combination of bend and balance. * Has ability to play in gap or zone running schemes. * Decisive and crisp as a one-cut runner. * Plays with a blend of vision and violence near the end zone. * Able to maneuver through run creases effectively. * Body control and foot agility create sudden cuts. * Meets force with force when finishing his runs. * No lack of toughness in protecting his quarterback. * Squares up and proactively strikes the blitzer.