Cowboys need to resign Dak before Baker and Josh Allen reset the market

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The fact that you pay attention to stat yards is funny to me.

They mean nothing.

Roethlisberger broke the NFL completion record for a playoff game with 47 and threw for 500 yards.

And got his butt kicked because he was awful.

LOL

Yards correlate to points points correlate to wins. Looking at yards in a vacuum is obviously silly but when you look at the four pics that roethlisberger threw and the picture becomes clear. Even with that the Steelers put up 37 points which is a tremendous point production.

the issue being that his negative place created offensive opportunities for the opponent and them putting up a 48.

erod

Reaction score
so in your opinion when we evaluate Ravens and AZ, we should dismiss Murray and Jackson rushing yards? because they are QBs and that threat as a rusher is meaningless, those planned rushing attempts are meaningless? is that how you are spinning it?
Ignore stats almost altogether.

Watch the game.

Stats don't win games. Playing winning football wins games.

Stats don't go hand in hand with winning. Never have, and never will. They're just a semi-interesting byproduct.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But I reject the idea that drafting a QB is the only way to build the most competitive team.

Not the only way, sure. Sort of like in school when you took multiple choice answer tests, we knew seldom was "always" or "never" the correct choice, mostly in between. So few things are black and white.

Brady was drafted by the Pats, they won SBs with him.
Aikman was drafted by the Cowboys, they won SBs with him.

But:

Favre was drafted by the Falcons, but he won the SB with GB.
Warner was drafted by the Packers but he won a SB with the Rams.

No "one size fits all" approach exists...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he was horrible in the first half while the games were still competitive.

Don't bore us with stats built when he was down 41-14 to the Browns.
No, actually he was pretty darn good in the first half of games. Fumbles and a defense that couldn't stop anyone were the problems. The Cowboys actually averaged 15.4 ppg in the first half while Dak was playing.

kskboys

Reaction score
The fact that you pay attention to stat yards is funny to me.

They mean nothing.

Roethlisberger broke the NFL completion record for a playoff game with 47 and threw for 500 yards.

And got his butt kicked because he was awful.

LOL
There was a time when it was common knowledge in the NFL that the losing QB often threw for high yardage, and it did not indicate him as being good/bad.

Just for poops and laughs I picked up an old magazine of mine to look at the passing yardage leaders. 03 is the year. In the NFC, the passing yardage leaders were: Mark Bulger, Matt Hasselback, Brad Johnson, Aaron Brooks, and Dante Culpepper. There's a who's who list.

So, according to what some are screaming, these 5 should've all been paid huge contracts, like 20% of the cap.

erod

Reaction score
Yards correlate to points points correlate to wins. Looking at yards in a vacuum is obviously silly but when you look at the four pics that roethlisberger threw and the picture becomes clear. Even with that the Steelers put up 37 points which is a tremendous point production.

the issue being that his negative place created offensive opportunities for the opponent and them putting up a 48.
Tons of yards come by way of penalties, special teams, and happenstance.

I've seen teams score 28 first-half points with 40 yards of offense.

Professional sports today are drenched in garbage-time statistics. Basketball and baseball are just as bad.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Tons of yards come by way of penalties, special teams, and happenstance.

I've seen teams score 28 first-half points with 40 yards of offense.

Professional sports today are drenched in garbage-time statistics. Basketball and baseball are just as bad.

And they're counted as such but that's not what we're talking about here.

I think your issues you really don't understand the statistics and the context to put them in so you just discount them all out of hand. Using an anecdote in order to discredit statistical analysis is indicative of that.

The more yards a quarterback throws for the more points he's going to get. In your example roethlisberger put up a lot of points.

Same goes for rushing if you put up 200 yards of rushing you're going to put up a decent amount of points.

Penalty yards or accounted for differently as are special teams as they are put in their own category not offense quarterback or running.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Stats don't go hand in hand with winning

How many teams have terrible stats and win the game?

Not many, I would think. And some stats, like turnovers are more important than some, like rushing attempts, or even yards. A team like Dallas wins 3 SBs despite Aikman having more than 20 passing tds only once in his career. But the running game controlled the clock and enabled them to score on a high percentage of drives.

Can't say stats have nothing do with it, or all to do with it. Football is a complex game, the ball takes funny bounces, reliable kickers miss gimme field goals, key players get hurt.

Stats are a guide to how a game, or season, or career go overall, they are related...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You're actually making a good argument for NOT signing Dak.Just sign a reasonably good QB for a modest salary?
Flacco got a huge contract at the time. one of the largest in the league....
Denver built a great defense, one of the leagues best, had a great group of players and future HOFers on their team....cost?
Foles got lucky, had a nice little run with the team. right time, right place. right coach (Frank Reich). he is the exception rather than the rule. plus their defense was pretty good.

but you missed my other point. you don't need Elite. given elites like Rodgers, Roth, Brees haven't been to the superbowl in 10 years. you need good. top 10 type player.

there are also a lot more misses in cheap QBs than hits......

Swagger

Reaction score
What did the Cowboy offensive line look like this year? Dak ended up with only 1,087 fewer yards and 2 fewer TD passes than ones despite playing in 9 fewer games, and his passer rater was 19 points higher and his QBR was 18 points higher.
Yes Prescott had a superior offensive line.
In the 4 games he played in from memory he had Zack Martin for all of them and Smith for at least a couple. Seahawks and Giants didn't exactly have a scary defense and the Falcons had Prescott all over the place until they lost their pass rush.
Keep spewing out the yards it's hilarious! Empty calories.

erod

Reaction score
And they're counted as such but that's not what we're talking about here.

I think your issues you really don't understand the statistics and the context to put them in so you just discount them all out of hand. Using an anecdote in order to discredit statistical analysis is indicative of that.

The more yards a quarterback throws for the more points he's going to get. In your example roethlisberger put up a lot of points.

Same goes for rushing if you put up 200 yards of rushing you're going to put up a decent amount of points.

Penalty yards or accounted for differently as are special teams as they are put in their own category not offense quarterback or running.
I understand them perfectly.

Yards can matter when a game is in question.

The problem is, huge amounts of stats, even points, occur when games are already decided.

That's why the losing team often has better stats. Happens all the time.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ignore stats almost altogether.

Watch the game.

Stats don't win games. Playing winning football wins games.

Stats don't go hand in hand with winning. Never have, and never will. They're just a semi-interesting byproduct.
I am not talking about stats, you are trying to spin away and not answer a simple question.......its not about stats (and how conveniently you want now to ignore stats, yet throw Dak stats out left and right).....

.its performance. seattle performed pretty good rushing the ball....you want to disqualify that, by ignoring a part of their rushing attack....

so you said, ignore wilson...ok, so I asked a simple question...if you say ignore wilson, should we also ignore Jackson and Murray rushing yards and attempts? or is it for the sake of your agenda and argument, in this specific case, you just want to throw away wilson (4th best QB rushing yards btw), but in another argument include Jackson and Murray's ability to rush...you seem to be spinning hard.....trying not to answer.....so I ask again....do we ignore Jackson and Murray rushing the ball?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

The problem is, huge amounts of stats, even points, occur when games are already decided.

is a game decided when the team is within a score with three minutes to go? yes? no?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
its easy to treat things in a vacuum. As an NFL owner, sure you could keep drafting young QBs until you hit on one. But that also means churning through several head coaches. If it doesn't pan out, you start to build a losing culture.

In madden, its an excellent strategy. A head coach and/or GM knows they'll be married to the success of their rookie QB that they draft. As long as there is stability at the QB position, you can build around that player. $ aside and cap hits, no head coach wants to be tied to a rookie QB, especially if it isn't a generational talent or a can't miss prospect. I see you view things as from an owner's standpoint, but its not as easy to accomplish: churning through rookie QBs.

Where is the examples of paying QBs winning championships? Especially non elite QBs.

Paying mediocre QBs is an excellent strategy in Madden.. Unfortunately in the real world QBs on rookie deals and Elite vets taking pay cuts or having low cap % hits are winning titles.

Go run and find me an outlier so you can validate paying Dak then complain about the team around him as well when we become mediocre.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
How many teams have terrible stats and win the game?

Not many, I would think. And some stats, like turnovers are more important than some, like rushing attempts, or even yards. A team like Dallas wins 3 SBs despite Aikman having more than 20 passing tds only once in his career. But the running game controlled the clock and enabled them to score on a high percentage of drives.

Can't say stats have nothing do with it, or all to do with it. Football is a complex game, the ball takes funny bounces, reliable kickers miss gimme field goals, key players get hurt.

Stats are a guide to how a game, or season, or career go overall, they are related...
Actually, the team with better statistics loses just as frequently, if not more so, than they win.

erod

Reaction score
is a game decided when the team is within a score with three minutes to go? yes? no?
Of course not.

But you saw the Browns decide to play deep cover when up 41-14 against Dallas. I hate that defensive approach, and Dak went off for 300 yards in the fourth quarter if I recall.

Dak and the offense were awful that day, but wow, their stats were amazing.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes Prescott had a superior offensive line.
In the 4 games he played in from memory he had Zack Martin for all of them and Smith for at least a couple. Seahawks and Giants didn't exactly have a scary defense and the Falcons had Prescott all over the place until they lost their pass rush.
Keep spewing out the yards it's hilarious! Empty calories.
so now you are spinning trying to qualify...can I do the same for Dalton? and admitedly he didn't have smith....and is the RG, I mean the frigging RG the difference between an great offense and an average offense? if that's the case, then is RG the most important position on the offense? if yes, then shouldn't every team just draft the best RG in the draft year in year out and get to some championships.

I mean seriously you make the RG spot as if its the difference between total collapse and greatness....its the freaking RG spot!!!! it matters more to the running game than the passing game, given Tackles and pass rushers they play against are the most important spot.

with that said, sinc eyou talked about seahawks, giants and disqualified them, is it fair to disqualify all of Dalton's wins since he played against teams with 4 wins, playing their back up QBs and he struggled in those needing 9 defensive turnovers to win....and he choked yet again in a must win game....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Stats are representative of things that happen in real time.

That depends on what you consider better stats. If you're going to fix it on yards then sure but if you include yards and turnovers then at that point you are not going to see that happen all the time. This is doubly so in the modern era where special teams has been neutered for the sake of player safety.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Actually, the team with better statistics loses just as frequently, if not more so, than they win.

What do you consider better statistics?

I would bet that a team that wins the yardage and turnover battle wins 90% or more of the time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not the only way, sure. Sort of like in school when you took multiple choice answer tests, we knew seldom was "always" or "never" the correct choice, mostly in between. So few things are black and white.

Brady was drafted by the Pats, they won SBs with him.
Aikman was drafted by the Cowboys, they won SBs with him.

But:

Favre was drafted by the Falcons, but he won the SB with GB.
Warner was drafted by the Packers but he won a SB with the Rams.

No "one size fits all" approach exists...
And that fits with what I said - the team has to look at the overall team, weigh all the factors, and decide how to best build from there. What I had responded to was a blanket statement that drafting is the way to go, period, and I don't believe that can be said as if it is certain.

Letting Dak go and drafting a QB could be a positive, a negative, or leave the team in about the same overall position.

But what I know is the team feels good about Dak, as a player, and also has an idea what it can do within the salary cap, and how it can make maneuvers to free up cap space.

And I know the draft can be a crap shoot, and a guy that has proven to be a quality player takes some of that out of the equation. It's almost certain you won't get a Pat Mahomes level player. There may be a decent chance of a Watson/Wentz level player, which depending on who you ask could be a little better or a little worse than Dak. And I think there is a solid chance of getting a Darnold/Mariota level guy that would be a clear dropoff, or even a decent chance of a as big a dropoff as a Paxton Lynch/Josh Rosen