Cowboys Offseason Strategy Should Hinge on Manziel Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Jerry can step in and be Cleveland's hero

Trade a package of players and a pick to Cleveland, a package of starters: WR Terrance Williams, CB Brandon Carr, SS JJ Wilcox, RT Doug Free and a 2017 third

Kid I think you need to look up the meaning of heroics. Dumping those players might actually improve Dallas. Cleveland would march on as the factory of sadness. They just hired the money ball guy, what metrics point to those players? "contracts the Cowboys would like mulligan's on"?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Cleveland will never see it coming.

Oh my God, they want Manziel. Say yes...SAY YES!

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Manziel is done in the NFL. No one in their right mind will want anything to do with him. when you agent drops you what does that say?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But not Manziel as target. Manziel will not be on the Browns in 2016 that is without doubt. But he is still a very recent first round pick. Browns will not get any value from Manziel and that is a black eye to the organization.

Jerry can step in and be Cleveland's hero. Trade a package of players and a pick to Cleveland, a package of starters: WR Terrance Williams, CB Brandon Carr, SS JJ Wilcox, RT Doug Free and a 2017 third (which can turn into a 2nd should Manziel start at least 1 game in 2016) for QB Johnny Manziel, WR Josh Gordon (may not play another down in NFL) and LT Joe Thomas. Thomas is the true target.

Thomas is more than worth a 3rd, and would absolutely shore up the Cowboys' best unit sending it to uber-elite status. Cleveland does this to add 4 starters, save face and add an additional high pick. Win-win for both teams. This move further avoids the temptation of taking Tunsil with the 4th pick. Tunsil, Jack and Bosa appear to be the only true can't miss prospects at the top of the draft.

Free Agency and the top half of the draft needs to focus on defense. Offense puts butts in seats, defense wins championships. This is no ad hominem but was borne out by both SB participants this season. Denver and Carolina were not only top 10 defenses but lead the league in sacks (Denver) and takeaways (Carolina). And reinforced by the last 10 years with at least ONE of the SB participants (usually the winner) leading the league in Defense (Denver, Carolina, Seattle, New England, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, etc.). Backup QB should be a player already familiar with Garrett's system or at least indoctrinated in the Norv Turner offense. This allows familiarity, communication (same terminology) and past success to speed up the reads and comfort levels so as to hedge any deficiencies that might occur in game planning or play calling should back up be called to play for whatever reason.

Manziel is released outright or placed on NFI (non-football injury list) for 2016 to avoid 3rd rounder becoming a 2nd rounder in 2017.

http://i899.***BLOCKED***/albums/ac195/pew_pew/General/Fillioncanttalk.gif

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Kid I think you need to look up the meaning of heroics. Dumping those players might actually improve Dallas. Cleveland would march on as the factory of sadness. They just hired the money ball guy, what metrics point to those players? "contracts the Cowboys would like mulligan's on"?

Did you just call me kid? LOL

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of QB at 4 but would rather have Wentz then go with this plan. I defended JF but not after recent news. That kid needs help

rpntex

Reaction score
LOL. Thomas is going to be 32, and he was almost traded to the Broncos in 2015. Rumor has it that Thomas will request a trade in 2016. Both the organization and the player are open to move. The compensation is the only issue.

Manziel is the feint. No matter what happens, Manziel won't be playing for the Cowboys in 2016. Why not take advantage of the opportunity to acquire an aging, dissatisfied but still elite player? If 4 starters plus a potential 2nd rounder is nothing, then up the ante. Change the terms, make it work.

Don't give up or discard an idea just because you can't see the forest for the trees.

Sorry, but there are no trees, nor a forest, to see in your post.

Thomas is still an outstanding OT, albeit a 32-year old OT. He's going to hit that wall eventually, and the laws of nature leads one to assume it will be sooner, rather than later.

Can Josh Gordon even be traded right now? Or a better question...can he be trusted? The idiot is one failed drug test away from a lifetime ban, plus he hasn't played in more than a year. I wouldn't offer the proverbial bucket of warm spit for someone who obviously doesn't want to play football.

And Manziel...that one doesn't even merit discussion.

RW31

Reaction score
eb6.jpg

I'd rather play out of the wildcat with 10 guys and snap the ball to the RB instead of having Manziel back there. Let alone TRADING for him. What an absurd idea.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Manziel is done in the NFL. No one in their right mind will want anything to do with him. when you agent drops you what does that say?

you and some other dont even read the op ! lol
The trade is not for manziel but the OT.

I actually like the idea , it is innovative and clever, Cleveland woiuld like to save face with JF and JG, so they might give up a player cheap
just to do a trade like this.
I would not give the players in the op, but I like the idea.

Also With JF jerry could give him baby sitter like he did dez, send him to therapy etc, and maybe get a year or 2 out of him.
JG ,I dont know if they could get him to let go of the weed or not, but again worth a try if you get him cheap, and he agrees to
baby sitter and therapy also.
Maybe move JF and Josh in with dez ! lol that would provide some things for the media.
And who knows maybe dez could straighten them out.

Reactions: BAT

LittleD

Reaction score
LOL. Thomas is going to be 32, and he was almost traded to the Broncos in 2015. Rumor has it that Thomas will request a trade in 2016. Both the organization and the player are open to move. The compensation is the only issue.

Manziel is the feint. No matter what happens, Manziel won't be playing for the Cowboys in 2016. Why not take advantage of the opportunity to acquire an aging, dissatisfied but still elite player? If 4 starters plus a potential 2nd rounder is nothing, then up the ante. Change the terms, make it work.

Don't give up or discard an idea just because you can't see the forest for the trees.

Shut down your computer. Take two Vicodin. Crawl into bed for a good night's sleep.
Don't come back to the Zone until clearly refreshed. You just had a "Brain Fart" and
need a redo. I've had some of those from time to time at my age.

Status
Not open for further replies.