Cowboys Offseason Strategy Should Hinge on Manziel Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortdick

Reaction score
Are you on drugs? Must be some good stuff. Manziel is going to be cut but probably put in jail before that happens.

I was a supporter of a JFF deal, but this latest crap with his GFF has made me change my mind. Can't trust to just be a simple drunk.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
you and some other dont even read the op ! lol
The trade is not for manziel but the OT.

I actually like the idea , it is innovative and clever, Cleveland woiuld like to save face with JF and JG, so they might give up a player cheap
just to do a trade like this.
I would not give the players in the op, but I like the idea.

Also With JF jerry could give him baby sitter like he did dez, send him to therapy etc, and maybe get a year or 2 out of him.
JG ,I dont know if they could get him to let go of the weed or not, but again worth a try if you get him cheap, and he agrees to
baby sitter and therapy also.
Maybe move JF and Josh in with dez ! lol that would provide some things for the media.
And who knows maybe dez could straighten them out.

well if Manziel is actually involved in the trade, wouldnt we be responsible then for his salary cap hit when we cut him (obviously within a few hours)? why would anyone allow him to be part of the trade. Make Browns cut him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Welp.......................

~sniff~ ..................

Only 179 more days till football season.............

Last edited:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
What can I say -- the responses preceding mine speak for themselves. Won't happen. Cleveland has enough problems without us adding to them. Yes, they're stupid but not crazy.

Oh, they are both stupid and crazy, just not THAT stupid and crazy.
On the other side of it, I don't think JJ's stupid and crazy enough to do any deal that involves getting Manzeil (can't believe I just typed that).

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
But not Manziel as target. Manziel will not be on the Browns in 2016 that is without doubt. But he is still a very recent first round pick. Browns will not get any value from Manziel and that is a black eye to the organization.

Jerry can step in and be Cleveland's hero. Trade a package of players and a pick to Cleveland, a package of starters: WR Terrance Williams, CB Brandon Carr, SS JJ Wilcox, RT Doug Free and a 2017 third (which can turn into a 2nd should Manziel start at least 1 game in 2016) for QB Johnny Manziel, WR Josh Gordon (may not play another down in NFL) and LT Joe Thomas. Thomas is the true target.

Thomas is more than worth a 3rd, and would absolutely shore up the Cowboys' best unit sending it to uber-elite status. Cleveland does this to add 4 starters, save face and add an additional high pick. Win-win for both teams. This move further avoids the temptation of taking Tunsil with the 4th pick. Tunsil, Jack and Bosa appear to be the only true can't miss prospects at the top of the draft.

Free Agency and the top half of the draft needs to focus on defense. Offense puts butts in seats, defense wins championships. This is no ad hominem but was borne out by both SB participants this season. Denver and Carolina were not only top 10 defenses but lead the league in sacks (Denver) and takeaways (Carolina). And reinforced by the last 10 years with at least ONE of the SB participants (usually the winner) leading the league in Defense (Denver, Carolina, Seattle, New England, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, etc.). Backup QB should be a player already familiar with Garrett's system or at least indoctrinated in the Norv Turner offense. This allows familiarity, communication (same terminology) and past success to speed up the reads and comfort levels so as to hedge any deficiencies that might occur in game planning or play calling should back up be called to play for whatever reason.

Manziel is released outright or placed on NFI (non-football injury list) for 2016 to avoid 3rd rounder becoming a 2nd rounder in 2017.

crazy_talk-672x372.jpg

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Elway wanted Thomas and almost made it happen. I think I will follow Elway's lead in trying to protect a gimpy but prolific QB with the best OL available. He has this GM thing figured out pretty good.

I think it's safe to say that we all agree John Elway is a great GM. That being said, are you really trying to insinuate that the Cowboys front office has done even a sub-par job in building this current group of Offensive Linemen? Because that's the notion i'm getting from your post in which case you truly are oblivious...

DandyDon52

Reaction score
well if Manziel is actually involved in the trade, wouldnt we be responsible then for his salary cap hit when we cut him (obviously within a few hours)? why would anyone allow him to be part of the trade. Make Browns cut him.

Well I dont think we would cut him that quick, might try to see if we could salvage him , get him to act better.
And then just not play him unless he does straighten up.
If he was here and was working hard, and romo went down, then play him see how he does.

and yes he would be paid his rookie contract, whatever that is.

The thing is you could get him and then decide if you could get him on track, if not then just cut him or trade him.

And I am not saying to do the exact deal in op, I am saying do some variation of that, that the cowboys could get
a good deal on.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Well I dont think we would cut him that quick, might try to see if we could salvage him , get him to act better.
And then just not play him unless he does straighten up.
If he was here and was working hard, and romo went down, then play him see how he does.

and yes he would be paid his rookie contract, whatever that is.

The thing is you could get him and then decide if you could get him on track, if not then just cut him or trade him.

And I am not saying to do the exact deal in op, I am saying do some variation of that, that the cowboys could get
a good deal on.

Do you even know what his latest is? I find it hard to believe you do and still consider him even if he paid us. He beat his gf then ran from the cops. Surprised he isn't locked up let alone the ramifications of the NFL that is sure to fall in him and whoever his team is.

No other team in the NFL will even touch him right now so why should we? He will be lucky to find work at McDonald's

Blake

Reaction score
Do you even know what his latest is? I find it hard to believe you do and still consider him even if he paid us. He beat his gf then ran from the cops. Surprised he isn't locked up let alone the ramifications of the NFL that is sure to fall in him and whoever his team is.

Not that Im a defender of Manziel, but what proof do you have that he actually "beat" his girlfriend? I understand there was an altercation and the police were looking for him, but he wasnt charged with assault, so Im not inclined to believe this slant you're giving to the incident.

Fredd

Reaction score
I, um, well....I mean, if I look at this, I um.....

...I got nothin'....(shakes head in disbelief)

DandyDon52

Reaction score

No other team in the NFL will even touch him right now so why should we? He will be lucky to find work at McDonald's

The local media said she said he hit her with open hand in her ear, like a slap, so that isnt a beating.
He didnt run from the cops, she called JF after he left and he wouldnt answer so she called the cops cause she thought
he might hurt himself.
So he has issues, but the media will blow this up cause of who he is.
It is the same girl involved in a earlier deal in their car.

People tend to speculate and fill in the blanks with all kinds of things.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The local media said she said he hit her with open hand in her ear, like a slap, so that isnt a beating.
He didnt run from the cops, she called JF after he left and he wouldnt answer so she called the cops cause she thought
he might hurt himself.

Stop with the facts already geeez

agk136

Reaction score
No Manziel. Biggest mistake the cowboys can make. He would be a big cancer in the club house. Until, he gets his addiction problems fixed I would not want him on our team.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that we all agree John Elway is a great GM. That being said, are you really trying to insinuate that the Cowboys front office has done even a sub-par job in building this current group of Offensive Linemen? Because that's the notion i'm getting from your post in which case you truly are oblivious...

LOL. You see sub par OL while I'm envisioning best OL ever. Why settle for good, very good or even top 5. I want undisputed greatest EVER. Thomas is there for the taking.

Elway represents the philosophy that status quo is not good enough, even if team is averaging 11 wins a season, championship is the only goal. I'm not just talking about QBs or head coaches. Broncos already have a 5x pro bowl LT on their roster in Clady.

Always be improving positions of strength AS WELL AS areas of weakness.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Not that Im a defender of Manziel, but what proof do you have that he actually "beat" his girlfriend? I understand there was an altercation and the police were looking for him, but he wasnt charged with assault, so Im not inclined to believe this slant you're giving to the incident.

really???????? How many domestic abuses are actually prosecuted, can you tell me that?

Johnny Manziel will not be a Cowboy guaranteed, so lets move on from this nonsense..

Here are the facts, read this: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-by-his-agent-in-the-wake-of-latest-incidents

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
he might hurt himself.

yeah ok, so lets understate it then as if slapping her in face is any different :cool:

his agent dropped him, should say enough.

notice in this story where it says 2nd time called in a few months time: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-by-his-agent-in-the-wake-of-latest-incidents

I wouldn't even of considered him before the latest, so we all need to move on, Johnny Manziel will not be a Cowboy and he may have a hard time even to be a football player next year, so lets move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.