Cowboys on assistants getting Head Coach interviews

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely.

We will never know, but I'd wager McClay is making low end GM money to do the job Jerry holds the title of. He also doesn't take GM interviews, which is remarkable since I'd hire him as GM way before Quinn or Moore as HC. I'm probably not alone.

Is perfect? Nope, but look around the league at all the colossal GM failures. Would be tough to lose McClay. The current success is all about how they have drafted lately, and it ain't Jerry making the board lol.

I think I remember reading about McClay getting a raise a year or so back, after teams had expressed interest in interviewing him. Jerry is loaded and front office positions don't count against the cap. He'd be smart to pay top money to keep his real GM and as many top assistants as he can.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dan has only had one other head coaching job and he did take Atlanta to a super bowl. The Atlanta GM destroyed that team not Quinn. He should be in line for another chance after what he's done with this defense and its not all Micah. Quinn has done an excellent job moving Micah around and giving him opportunities to look good. He has also had a tremendous influence on Diggs and Gregory. Even LVE looks decent this year. And he's done it with next to nothing at DT. I hope he stays. IMO, he is the best coach we have on the team.
I agree with that.

Just saying that head coaches don't really get a THIRD shot.

So he needs to choose carefully next time.

Jacksonville doesn't have the right ring to it lol.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dan has only had one other head coaching job and he did take Atlanta to a super bowl. The Atlanta GM destroyed that team not Quinn. He should be in line for another chance after what he's done with this defense and its not all Micah. Quinn has done an excellent job moving Micah around and giving him opportunities to look good. He has also had a tremendous influence on Diggs and Gregory. Even LVE looks decent this year. And he's done it with next to nothing at DT. I hope he stays. IMO, he is the best coach we have on the team.
Agreed. People can spin it however they want, but Dan Quinn has taken a team to the superbowl as a HC, and coming into this year expectations for this defense was "hopefully we can be average".

He would be towards the top of my HC wish list if my team had an opening. Only two things we have going for us right now is 1) Jerrys check book. 2) There are a lot of good HC candidates out there, and only so many jobs to go around.

Hopefully the numbers game works in our favor.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hmm.... there's a lot of wrong with this right.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think I remember reading about McClay getting a raise a year or so back, after teams had expressed interest in interviewing him. Jerry is loaded and front office positions don't count against the cap. He'd be smart to pay top money to keep his real GM and as many top assistants as he can.
Houston wanted to hire him.

We've done quite well in the draft lately yet we don't hear anything about anyone wanting to interview him.

It could be that he declines behind the scenes because he is happy where he is.

Right about the cap, and Jerry is probably paying him like 3-5 million per. That's a nice living of you family situation is right.

I mean, does he really want to go to like the Jets to be the GM only to get blasted in the media over every mistake and get fired in two years? Move the whole family and kids to NY meanwhile.

Sometimes guys value stability and are realistic about their career path.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It can be assumed that Mclay is paid along the same lines as top NFL GMs. Jerry has a history of overpaying titles to keep people in place. He paid Garret like a HC when he was an OC. He paid Bill Callhan like a coordinator when he was not one. McLay is no different. Jerry probably matches every contract offer he gets. No cap on the front office people.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Houston wanted to hire him.

We've done quite well in the draft lately yet we don't hear anything about anyone wanting to interview him.

It could be that he declines behind the scenes because he is happy where he is.

Right about the cap, and Jerry is probably paying him like 3-5 million per. That's a nice living of you family situation is right.

I mean, does he really want to go to like the Jets to be the GM only to get blasted in the media over every mistake and get fired in two years? Move the whole family and kids to NY meanwhile.

Sometimes guys value stability and are realistic about their career path.

And I'd rather be just rich rather than rich and famous. Like you said, if he stays in Dallas with the Joneses and keeps doing what he's doing, he'll quietly make millions for he and his family. If he leaves and things don't work out as well? He could be an ex-GM struggling to find work in two years.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think Quinn is as good as gone.

Kellen, who knows? I've seen stranger hires in the NFL (Joe Judge/Zac Taylor).

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The other thing Quinn should keep in mind is this defense isnt exactly getting broken up next year. Micah in season 2, Diggs in season 3, Gregory back, I would assume they keep DLaw. He can probably be a little selective on the HC jobs he would want. If the right situation isnt there he is likely just as sought after next season. I know that doesnt always work out that way and a coordinators stock can get dumped fast, but I would be shocked with the unit the Cowboys have coming back. May be good to bet on himself for another year instead of taking on a job like the Texans if available.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. People can spin it however they want, but Dan Quinn has taken a team to the superbowl as a HC, and coming into this year expectations for this defense was "hopefully we can be average".

He would be towards the top of my HC wish list if my team had an opening. Only two things we have going for us right now is 1) Jerrys check book. 2) There are a lot of good HC candidates out there, and only so many jobs to go around.

Hopefully the numbers game works in our favor.

I agree. I think Dan isn't going to accept just any HC position. He knows so much depends on the talent base and relationship with the front office........... He might be able to cherry pick since Jerry is probably paying him on par with a HC.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Two dead end jobs.

Quinn is on his final shot. If I'm him...I stay as close to Micah as I possibly can and keep depositing those Jerry checks.
McCarthy took a year off because no jobs were available that gave him a shot. Raiders? heck no, Carr is what he is.

Jacksonville? yea, take that job as they have the QB in place.

Who else is getting fired??? Detroit? Probably not, but nobody should want it because you will get fired until you get a qb.

Same as I always say. There are those that luck out and get a qb and become "Great," coaches and there are coaches that dont get a QB and get fired.

fivetwos

Reaction score
McCarthy took a year off because no jobs were available that gave him a shot. Raiders? heck no, Carr is what he is.

Jacksonville? yea, take that job as they have the QB in place.

Who else is getting fired??? Detroit? Probably not, but nobody should want it because you will get fired until you get a qb.

Same as I always say. There are those that luck out and get a qb and become "Great," coaches and there are coaches that dont get a QB and get fired.
Yep. No doubt.

There's only a few QBs in the league that are capable. You either have one or you don't.

A few guys are on the outer edges with a shot but it's always the same guys that are around in the end every year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Both our coordinators want out.

sure they do...... your comments about the front office and the reality is very different. Moore knows he owes his career to Jerry. He will leave if he gets the chance, because thats what all asst coaches do when they can become a head coach....... but it wont be because they hate where they are.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yep. No doubt.

There's only a few QBs in the league that are capable. You either have one or you don't.

A few guys are on the outer edges with a shot but it's always the same guys that are around in the end every year.

I dont know how many times we need to see it happen to finally accept it. The coach just aint that important, because there are lots of guys that can do it. Tomlin all of the sudden doesnt look so good. Sean Peyton all of the sudden dont look so good. Coincidence that both of them have basically lost their HOF QB and at that same time the team starts to suck.

Did those guys forget how to coach? I dont think so.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dont know how many times we need to see it happen to finally accept it. The coach just aint that important, because there are lots of guys that can do it. Tomlin all of the sudden doesnt look so good. Sean Peyton all of the sudden dont look so good. Coincidence that both of them have basically lost their HOF QB and at that same time the team starts to suck.

Did those guys forget how to coach? I dont think so.
Fully agree.

I'd add that the QB has a much better shot at making a coach 'great' than the opposite.

But it comical how these guys go from bums to top candidates weekly lol.

shabazz

Reaction score
One playoff loss and they will be back cleaning Jerry's sunglasses