Cowboys on assistants getting Head Coach interviews

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Fully agree.

I'd add that the QB has a much better shot at making a coach 'great' than the opposite.

But it comical how these guys go from bums to top candidates weekly lol.

Lets use Quinn as the example. Yea yea.. they went to a SB as Matt Ryan had a career year. Then that team dropped of the face of the Earth QUICKLY. The team was a total mess and Quinn was running the show. He gets fired after 5 games.

Now fast forward, he comes into Dallas where a defense stunk, partly because of the offense stunk. But, Quinn gets an emerging star in Diggs, A Randy Gregory that doesnt have to test for pot anymore, a couple free agent successes, and probably the best rookie defensive player in the past 30 years.... holy crap did Quinn hit the jack pot. Now, all of the sudden, hes a coaching genius again????? smh I wont care one bit if he leaves. Didnt seattle's legion of boom lose a few defensive coordinators and that defense didnt miss a beat until players left and they got old. Wasnt anything to do with coaches leaving.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We're going to lose both Moore and Quinn and be left with the weak link McCarthy.

That you would think the head coach that has us at 11-4, has a Super Bowl and multiple NFC Championship Games on his resume says a lot about some fans' understanding of how this game works. It's like giving Norv Turner credit for our Super Bowls under Jimmy Johnson. The coordinators are a very important part of the success, but so is the head coach.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Lets use Quinn as the example. Yea yea.. they went to a SB as Matt Ryan had a career year. Then that team dropped of the face of the Earth QUICKLY. The team was a total mess and Quinn was running the show. He gets fired after 5 games.

Now fast forward, he comes into Dallas where a defense stunk, partly because of the offense stunk. But, Quinn gets an emerging star in Diggs, A Randy Gregory that doesnt have to test for pot anymore, a couple free agent successes, and probably the best rookie defensive player in the past 30 years.... holy crap did Quinn hit the jack pot. Now, all of the sudden, hes a coaching genius again????? smh I wont care one bit if he leaves. Didnt seattle's legion of boom lose a few defensive coordinators and that defense didnt miss a beat until players left and they got old. Wasnt anything to do with coaches leaving.

Quinn has shown that he's a very good defensive coordinator. Multiple players are playing at a higher level under him than they previously were. But that certainly doesn't mean there aren't other very good defensive coordinators who could replace him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont know how many times we need to see it happen to finally accept it. The coach just aint that important, because there are lots of guys that can do it. Tomlin all of the sudden doesnt look so good. Sean Peyton all of the sudden dont look so good. Coincidence that both of them have basically lost their HOF QB and at that same time the team starts to suck.

Did those guys forget how to coach? I dont think so.

Pretty sure Tomlin and Sean Peyton are not on hot seats. A good coach can cover a lot of mediocre talent but no coach can cover poor QB play. QB is and always has been the most important position on the field and that's hardly a knock on coaches.

You don't need a HOF QB but you can't have Taylor Heinecke either.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Quinn has shown that he's a very good defensive coordinator. Multiple players are playing at a higher level under him than they previously were. But that certainly doesn't mean there aren't other very good defensive coordinators who could replace him.
Multiple players are better because of him? Who? Dont tell me Gregory or Tank. Brown? hell several weeks ago half the board wanted him benched. So who???? LVE? uhm,,, no.
Jaylon Smith? uhm, no... hes gone.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I like Kellen Moore, but if our OC gets hired for a HC Position before the KC OC does, something is really wrong in the NFL. Just sayin

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Pretty sure Tomlin and Sean Peyton are not on hot seats. A good coach can cover a lot of mediocre talent but no coach can cover poor QB play. QB is and always has been the most important position on the field and that's hardly a knock on coaches.

You don't need a HOF QB but you can't have Taylor Heinecke either.

Of course they arent on hot seats. The HF QB that they have had their entire coaching career has given them a 3 or 4 year pass on stinking before they will start to feel any heat. Its going to be really interesting to see what happens with both the Saints and Steelers because they are in serious trouble. The Saints have a legit defense that has kept them in the hunt.
Let the D start to slide and they could be the Jags.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Multiple players are better because of him? Who? Dont tell me Gregory or Tank. Brown? hell several weeks ago half the board wanted him benched. So who???? LVE? uhm,,, no.
Jaylon Smith? uhm, no... hes gone.

Kearse was a castoff. Brown is has been playing the best of his career. Gregory is better than he was. How much of Diggs' improvement is natural progression and how much is because of coaching? There are rotational players like Dorance Armstrong that are playing at a higher level than they were.

The only one I've seen playing at a lower level than his best is LVE. And I agree that he didn't make Smith better, but since he's gone on to two other teams, that appears to have been an impossible task at this point. Coaching makes a difference. You put players in the right position to use their abilities and they use them well. If Marinelli was still here, he would probably limit Parsons to only being an off-ball linebacker, especially since he's a rookie. Marinelli was married to his scheme. Quinn has adapted to his personnel.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I like Kellen Moore, but if our OC gets hired for a HC Position before the KC OC does, something is really wrong in the NFL. Just sayin
oh please... hes great in KC, isnt he Just swell. Take that crap out of here... I love the play that play that Bieniemy designed where he has Mahomes spin out of a sure sack, run to his left, look up field and throw it as far as he can to T Hill who is standing there like he is returning a punt and then into the endzone. Thats some great play calling there.

No offense to him, but talk about hitting the jackpot on coaching timing? Your first gig as coordinator is almost as good as a guy that got his first HC job and had Jordan on the team. Timing is everything.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Kearse was a castoff. Brown is has been playing the best of his career. Gregory is better than he was. How much of Diggs' improvement is natural progression and how much is because of coaching? There are rotational players like Dorance Armstrong that are playing at a higher level than they were.

The only one I've seen playing at a lower level than his best is LVE. And I agree that he didn't make Smith better, but since he's gone on to two other teams, that appears to have been an impossible task at this point. Coaching makes a difference. You put players in the right position to use their abilities and they use them well. If Marinelli was still here, he would probably limit Parsons to only being an off-ball linebacker, especially since he's a rookie. Marinelli was married to his scheme. Quinn has adapted to his personnel.

I wont beat the dead horse because this is all subjective... but no way in hell is Gregory playing better. He is just now actually on the field with no threat of looming suspensions.
And having Tank and Micah on the field at the same time as him is certainly not hurting him any.

In any event, have a great day. Things are too good for us right now to be arguing over stupid crap.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Absolutely.

We will never know, but I'd wager McClay is making low end GM money to do the job Jerry holds the title of. He also doesn't take GM interviews, which is remarkable since I'd hire him as GM way before Quinn or Moore as HC. I'm probably not alone.

Is perfect? Nope, but look around the league at all the colossal GM failures. Would be tough to lose McClay. The current success is all about how they have drafted lately, and it ain't Jerry making the board lol.
JERRY hold their title to all of it.. he also does the hiring anyone having sucess under jerry is because of jerry this teams success starts and ends with the jones' NOT JUST the failures. I like how that works here like Jimmys success umm no it was Jerrys sucess with Jimmy. He hired them, all of them. He kept them around when he dices to lets them walk.

got it yet you cant try to pin all failures on the jones and then give all his assistants and coaches the credit when we win..its all or nothing..

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hope he stays. IMO, he is the best coach we have on the team.

Quinn has easily had the biggest impact so far. This team's offense was built up long before McCarthy so it's hard to see much progress there, though Dak has made some incremental improvement (?) We'll know more in the coming weeks.

Honestly these coordinator positions should be seen on equal footing or higher than the head coach. Teams should make the positions more prestigious and lucrative as an end-destination so these guys don't feel compelled to leap at any chance for an HC position,,, though I think a big part of it is the media and the fans desire to fire coaches constantly. Anything to provide the appearance of motion and change. There's a high demand for "new" head coaches.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course they arent on hot seats. The HF QB that they have had their entire coaching career has given them a 3 or 4 year pass on stinking before they will start to feel any heat. Its going to be really interesting to see what happens with both the Saints and Steelers because they are in serious trouble. The Saints have a legit defense that has kept them in the hunt.
Let the D start to slide and they could be the Jags.

Payton wishes he had Trevor Lawrence to groom. lol. The bottom line in New Orleans is that they have no passing attack for the first time in a looong time and thats Paytons forte'. But let's not down play his importance to Drew Brees's career. Brees was hardly a HOF qb when he arrived in New Orleans. He had just lost his job to a future draft pick.

I guess it was you yelling that Jason Garret was fine and Romo was the real problem? lol

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
If he's smart, that's what he'll do. He's in the exact role that he should be, he's a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. Take the raise that Jerry will offer - and if Jones is smart, it will be lower end head coach money - and stay in the role you're best suited for.

Exactly. Quinn has already "been there, done that" in terms of HCing experience.

Jones and the Cowboys were smart to get Quinn. Get a former HC and pay him handsomely. More likely to stick around. Nick Saban has done this at Alabama as well.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Payton wishes he had Trevor Lawrence to groom. lol. The bottom line in New Orleans is that they have no passing attack for the first time in a looong time and thats Paytons forte'. But let's not down play his importance to Drew Brees's career. Brees was hardly a HOF qb when he arrived in New Orleans. He had just lost his job to a future draft pick.

I guess it was you yelling that Jason Garret was fine and Romo was the real problem? lol

Drew Brees lost his job because of his shoulder. Well, I guess we could also say Reid is responsible for Mahomes, Big Mike made Rodgers, Dungy made Manning, Billy made Brady...... yea, sure thing.

Brees was great, but 4 out of 5 years in New Orleans, in his prime they had a losing record, why? Because the defense was terrible.

That was Romo's problem most of his career. Like when he put up 48 points against Denver and lost.

So Peyton goes 7-9 in 4 out of 5 years and hes still great?? bahahaha, id say that shows how subjective it is when calling a coach "Great." 4 out of 5 seasons at 7-9 gets 95% of coaches canned. They probably extended Payton during that time.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drew Brees lost his job because of his shoulder. Well, I guess we could also say Reid is responsible for Mahomes, Big Mike made Rodgers, Dungy made Manning, Billy made Brady...... yea, sure thing.

Brees was great, but 4 out of 5 years in New Orleans, in his prime they had a losing record, why? Because the defense was terrible.

That was Romo's problem most of his career. Like when he put up 48 points against Denver and lost.

So Peyton goes 7-9 in 4 out of 5 years and hes still great?? bahahaha, id say that shows how subjective it is when calling a coach "Great." 4 out of 5 seasons at 7-9 gets 95% of coaches canned. They probably extended Payton during that time.

Yeah, you can credit Reid for Mahomes. He traded 3 picks to move up and grab him b/c he saw something nobody else saw. He got blasted for that trade after the draft. His offense was perfectly suited to Mahomes and its been a match made in heaven. You think Mahomes does the same under say Jason Garret?

I think the problem is that you are looking at these situations from 30,000 ft and not delving into the details preferring to make broad generalizations like "coaches don't matter" which is absurd. In regard to the list QB and their coaches above, they are all unique stories. There is no broad rule of thumb to drawn. All we can say for sure is that great teams tend have a mix of good coaches, players, and health. What do you think's been missing in Dallas for 25 years or did Jimmy Johnson not matter either? lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
JERRY hold their title to all of it.. he also does the hiring anyone having sucess under jerry is because of jerry this teams success starts and ends with the jones' NOT JUST the failures. I like how that works here like Jimmys success umm no it was Jerrys sucess with Jimmy. He hired them, all of them. He kept them around when he dices to lets them walk.

got it yet you cant try to pin all failures on the jones and then give all his assistants and coaches the credit when we win..its all or nothing..
Not at all what I said.

I said he doesn't make the draft board.

I promise you that's true.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If he's smart, that's what he'll do. He's in the exact role that he should be, he's a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. Take the raise that Jerry will offer - and if Jones is smart, it will be lower end head coach money - and stay in the role you're best suited for.
Good recommendation for careers in general- everyone wants to go for top dog when that is not necessarily there gift! Stay where you are best suited for - you will be much happier!