Cowboys only 1 seed of the past ten to not make the Super Bowl

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His previous coach wanted him gone and was only there because of the owner.

He was Cincinnati's version of Dave Campo.

“My first tackle was Willie Anderson. Great player. My next tackle was Levi Jones, borderline Pro Bowler. My next tackle was Stacy Andrews, who signed (at the time) the biggest contract of any tackle in the league. My next tackle was (Andrew) Whitworth. My next tackle was Andre Smith, who had some good years and not-so-good years.

“The thing that drives me is helping guys become great players. More than wins and losses, honestly.’’

Alexander cites the grades his unit gets from the football analytics website, Pro Football Focus: “The last eight years, the Bengals have averaged out as the best pass-blocking offensive line in the league. If you follow the procedure step by step, it will work.’’
Pretty good list.

Then there's the fact that Sports Illustrated had him on their list of best coaches as recently as last year:

One of the longest-tenured assistants of any stripe in the NFL, Alexander has been the Bengals’ offensive line coach since 1994, and added the title of Assistant Head Coach in 2003. He’s served under four different head coaches for the Bengals, and his lines have blocked for four different running backs with 1,000-yard seasons. Cincinnati’s line under Alexander has ranked among the top 10 in fewest sacks allowed totals in four of the last five NFL seasons, and it set franchise records for low quarterback takedowns in two different seasons before that. Alexander has gotten the job done with his front five through multiple personnel shifts, injuries, coaching philosophies, and schematic shifts in the league. At this point, he should be talked about in the same breath as legendary line coaches like Howard Mudd and Alex Gibbs.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/06/07/best-nfl-coaches-paul-alexander-bengals
I'd have to look to see where Campo was ranked. He might not have made it, though.

willia451

Reaction score
The Cowboys get beaten by teams that come up with better game plans and make better adjustments. Its that simple.

Its a lot easier to look great when you have great coaches. That's why players that looked great in NE and leave NE all of a sudden look all too human when they get to their gaining franchise.

Its also why people like Ware that leave for teams with better coaches do better than they did when they were here.

The Cowboys do not place a premium on attracting and retaining very good or elite coaches.

Because Jerry wants the lions share of attention and credit for himself. He also wants a say in Football operations from the standpoint of how the coaches treat his players.

He owns the club. He's the GM. He thinks he deserves all that.

But ultimately it hurts the team badly. Because many of the players do not fear the coaches like they should. And they don't respect them like they should because they know they are there not because they are very good but because they can get along with Jerry and they are "good enough".

When Jimmy Johnson was here, there was no doubt who was in charge. The players feared and respected him.

Do the players we have today fear and respect Garrett like the players did when we had Jimmy?

Do the players in NE fear and respect Bill Belichick? Just for example.

These are the issues we face.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Everything said about Garrett can also be applied to Landry. During that 20 season streak of consecutive winning sesons they only won 2 league championships. They really should have won six or seven.

There were some real heartbreakers, the two Packer losses, the two Steeler losses, the 49er Catch game, the last minutes field goal during the Colts Super Bowl 5 game, etc.

Go back and looknat the league championship games. Every loss was by a TD or less, ever win was by double no digits

Cowboy teams have been great but they have never been lucky.

I think we can all stop when you mention the 20 consecutive winning seasons. Comparing Landry to Garrett is blasphemous.

Not because we revere Landry but based on just pure production and profound effect on the game. Garrett has all of 2 playoff appearances in 7 seasons as HC. He is not an X's and O's guy never mind a genius who re-imagined the game in almost every phase. Cowboys are not Next Year's Champs under Garrett for the same or even the legitimate reasons they were referred as such under Landry.

Please stop comparing SB or conference championship losses with Garrett's ineptitude in the postseason.

Mad_max

Reaction score
I think we can all stop when you mention the 20 consecutive winning seasons. Comparing Landry to Garrett is blasphemous.

Not because we revere Landry but based on just pure production and profound effect on the game. Garrett has all of 2 playoff appearances in 7 seasons as HC. He is not an X's and O's guy never mind a genius who re-imagined the game in almost every phase. Cowboys are not Next Year's Champs under Garrett for the same or even the legitimate reasons they were referred as such under Landry.

Please stop comparing SB or conference championship losses with Garrett's ineptitude in the postseason.
Jerry must have been out to lunch when Jimmy put that team together. Either that and Jerry is a moron. My bet is on moron.