Cowboys Overall Talent Level

haleyrules

Reaction score
Yikes. You are vastly more optimistic than I. I think the offense is very loaded pending Dak continues his progress and injuries are minimal. There isn't but one player on defense that has yet proven he can play at a PB level and that's Sean Lee. To project the D will even be good is total speculation and hope. That said, I do hope you are right.

That said, our coaching staff would still be junior varsity compared to 1992.
Yep. That says it all.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
No way this club even stands a chance against the 92-96 cowboys.
They would get stomped so bad. You are talking about one if the best defenses ever assembled coupled with a hall of fame offense. In 1993, there 11 cowboy pro bowlers

These teams not only beat their opponents, they embarrassed them. I think the 90s Oline was just powerful if not MORE powerful than the current line, the Dline was waaaaay better, linebackers, ect

You have HOF Woodson and Thomas Everett. Comeon
Just think about what the Vikings or Giants did to last years cowboys, now give those teams the offensive power of the Falcons/ Patriots and the coaching level of the Patriots and the heart of Braveheart and defensive attitude of Ray Lewis / Vontaze Burfict on a bad day

Final Score 90s cowboys defeat 2017 cowboys 52-17

Verdict

Reaction score
Our offense should be top 5. The defense and special teams are in the bottom 10. Based on a tough schedule, we should be 9-7 or possibly 10-6.

I realize that is a possibility, but I don't think it will turn out like that. I think this defense will be top 10 this year. Jeff Heath is going to be much better than Wilcox was. He may not have the pedigree but he will be a ball hawk this year.

Just because Tapper didn't play last year doesn't mean he can't break out either. Jaylon Smith could be a huge difference maker. If Marinelli still has it (I'm not sure he does) we should see drastic improvement this year on defense. Drastic.

Verdict

Reaction score
Offensively top 10 for sure probably top five. Not sure about the defense. I think the depth continues to improve but I couldn't give it or the D a number yet.

I think this teams upside is a lot like our first SB with the 92 team. They arrived a year earlier than everyone expected them to arrive. This team has the same feel to me.

We have had so much frustration for so long we always think we are two years from being in contention to win it all. We shouldn't have that mindset with a 13-3 record last year as long as Dak and Zeke and that OL remain healthy.

Verdict

Reaction score
They would get stomped so bad. You are talking about one if the best defenses ever assembled coupled with a hall of fame offense. In 1993, there 11 cowboy pro bowlers

These teams not only beat their opponents, they embarrassed them. I think the 90s Oline was just powerful if not MORE powerful than the current line, the Dline was waaaaay better, linebackers, ect

Just think about what the Vikings or Giants did to last years cowboys, now give those teams the offensive power of the Falcons/ Patriots and the coaching level of the Patriots and the heart of Braveheart and defensive attitude of Ray Lewis / Vontaze Burfict on a bad day

I don't think you are right about that. This defense was anemic last year. They have a huge infusion of talent. You can count Tapper and Smith in that infusion. It's a hell of an investment of draft picks. They are young but that doesn't mean that they can't play. If they don't show signs of being dominant this year then Marinelli needs to go.

Marinelli acted like he hit the lottery when we selected Ivey. If he is that excited about him, then we should be too. If Marinelli is wrong about Ivey after cheering for his selection that much then he needs to be put out to pasture.

Verdict

Reaction score

That 92 Team would have a really hard time scoring enough points to hang with these current Cowboys. In 92 we could run the ball. This defense can shut the run down. They proved that last year. This team would have been a bad matchup for the 92 Cowboys.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think you are right about that. This defense was anemic last year. They have a huge infusion of talent. You can count Tapper and Smith in that infusion. It's a hell of an investment of draft picks. They are young but that doesn't mean that they can't play. If they don't show signs of being dominant this year then Marinelli needs to go.

Marinelli acted like he hit the lottery when we selected Ivey. If he is that excited about him, then we should be too. If Marinelli is wrong about Ivey after cheering for his selection that much then he needs to be put out to pasture.

No. He's right. It's embarrassing that anyone even thinks otherwise.

The 90s Cowboys blow this team out of the water. It's not even competitive for a half.

haleyrules

Reaction score

Loci...this goes without even saying. wth. The Great Wall was better and not a player taken before the 3rd rd. That tells you a lot right there. These clubs can not be compared. DEFENSE WINS!!

Verdict

Reaction score

The 90s Cowboys blow this team out of the water. It's not even competitive for a half.

The 90s Cowboys were young at one time too. Just because this group of Cowboys is young doesn't mean they can't play. The 90s Cowboys were great for their time but players are bigger and stronger and faster than they were then. The only real advantage the 90s Cowboys had would have been Deion Sanders and a defensive line edge.

The current group would have a significant advantage across the board on offense. It's not even close. This OL would blow the 90s group away. They are so much bigger and stronger than the 90s team. Larry Allen is the only guy who could start on this line other than Erik Williams pre accident.

Those defense were very good as a unit, but the individual players were not head and shoulders above this unit. Sean Lee was better than Any linebacker we had at that time. Jaylon if healthy is also head and shoulders above anything we had at that time.

This secondary is young. It is hard to tell at this point what we have there but we have invested the draft capital there. I think the 90s defenses were better on the DL based on what we know now but I'm not sure the 90s defense would sniff the QB against this OL.

Verdict

Reaction score
IIRC the 92 Cowboys were a wild card team at 9 and 7 and got hot at the right time. They weren't dominant at that time ....yet.

Verdict

Reaction score
You can't win championships without talent.

You also have a hard time winning championships without good coaching. We have added enough talent that the coaches shouldn't have an excuse this year, barring critical injuries at critical positions.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Yea, with some C4 and detchord...

Gameover

Reaction score
Yikes. You are vastly more optimistic than I. I think the offense is very loaded pending Dak continues his progress and injuries are minimal. There isn't but one player on defense that has yet proven he can play at a PB level and that's Sean Lee. To project the D will even be good is total speculation and hope. That said, I do hope you are right.

That said, our coaching staff would still be junior varsity compared to 1992.

My assessment of the Cowboys talent is based on zero optimism. When I look at the Cowboys roster I see talent out ying yang(behind).

The 90's team didn't have a bunch Of individually great defenders, they were good as a collective unit.

Zero Dlinemen made the PB from the 92-93 teams.

Zero optimism, 100% its right in your face!

Back in 2013 I said the Cowboys have been drafting better this decade. I believe I said top 10. In 2014, I said the Cowboys are on the verge of building a dominant roster. I said the would win 11 games. I said with a few more good drafts, they could be a dynasty.

Back then I thought I was special because I could see what others couldn't. After the 4-12 season, I could see why others would have doubts about the team, but I had zero doubts. I told the board prior to the start of the 2016 season that the team was loaded and they would win 12 games.

Again I could see why coming off of the 2015 season others couldn't see what was obvious(talent out the ying yang)..But what is the excuse now?!

Do you people not know what a talented football team looks like?

Optimism? Ain't no damn optimism

Ridiculous collection of talent is staring me in the face and they talking about optimism!

It's right there. Enjoy it

The next 5 to 6 years are going to be great!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think this teams upside is a lot like our first SB with the 92 team. They arrived a year earlier than everyone expected them to arrive. This team has the same feel to me.

We have had so much frustration for so long we always think we are two years from being in contention to win it all. We shouldn't have that mindset with a 13-3 record last year as long as Dak and Zeke and that OL remain healthy.

We don't have the D of that team.

Verdict

Reaction score
We don't have the D of that team.

We "didn't" have the defense that Cowboys had, relatively speaking. We don't "know" we don't "have" a defense that good at this point. Jaylon 's pedigree is every bit as good as any defensive player during the 90s.

Verdict

Reaction score
I hope you're right.

I'm not saying I'm right. We just don't KNOW we don't have a bunch of young players we are all under rating. Prior to the start of the 92 season the expectations were probably lower than they are currently of this team. We just don't know what we have yet. But there should be room for optimism and the belief that it is possible.